Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community

Heterosexual male with anal warts

Hello, I have known I've had HPV for approximately 4 years. I noticed a small wart on my penis, and had it frozen off.  Over the past 4 years, I've had recurrences pretty frequently on my penis, but usually only 1-2 very small warts that I would have frozen off by my doctor.

Then, about 1 year ago, I noticed a bump in my anus that grew into a lot of warts in the perianal area.I've had persistent anal itching for years, since I was 18 that has persisted and become worse over the years, a very annoying condition, and I'm wondering if that spread the few minor warts I had on my penis to my anal area?  

I've gone through 2 surgeries to have the burned off, they've come back after each surgery, and now I'm trying Aldara.

So, with that background I have a few questions:
1) How did the warts transfer to my anus? Since HPV is a virus, can it recur in other places like the anus, even though I've never had any sort of gay or anal sex?
2) I have had unprotected sex with women over the past 2 years (I know, it's awful, and I've told those partners that I have HPV).  But if I don't have any warts on my penis, but do on my anus, is there still a high risk for passing the virus from vaginal intercourse?
3) Could my anal itching/scratching have caused the warts to transfer there?  Could that be the cause of the warts coming back over and over again after they've been removed?

I appreciate the help, thank you
Your warts have been around for a very long time. I hope you are wart free soon.

Anal warts are somewhat common in people who have never had anal sex. One theory is the skin is particularily sensitive in that region (it is thin, etc). And I think couples that have frequent sex probably make all kinds of body contact, even if sometimes it is just passing.
I can't say why you have warts on your anus, but it does seem to happen to hetero guys and girls who have never had anal sex.

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself for having sex, you informed your partners and they decided the risk was acceptable. It is hard to say what the risk was. If you still have warts on your anus, it is a good sign that your immune system has yet to clear the virus. However, you have no warts on your penis, and it is thought that the removal of warts reduces the risk. Regardless, many people who contract wart causing strains don't even notice the symptoms, and complications are extremely rare, so it shouldn't be a huge worry.

I don't know about the scratching. On one hand, most doctors say that indirect transfer is rare, but on the other, they recommend not stractching. My guess is picking at the warts would be a better way of transmitting them than causual contact. Furthermore, scratching can lead to infeciton.

good luck!