Kidney Disease & Disorders Community

Interpretation of Bilateral Renal Ultrasound

My 12 year old son was diagnosed with a UTI on December 22, 2009.  After finishing his round of antibiotics, the pediatrician ordered a renal ultrasound to check for kidney stones (there were none found).  There is a history of liver and kidney disease on the paternal side of the family.  Paternal grandfather died of an aneurysm after undergoing dialysis for approx. 1 year, at the early age of 50.  On, top of that concern, my son has been on 100mg Topamax (2x day) for approx 3 1/2 years for seizures and migraines.  We have an appointment at Riley Children's Hospital, but not until February 19th.  If anyone could assist with understanding the report, I would greatly appreciate it.

Here is the report:

FINDINGS:  The right kidney measures 4.6 cm in greatest longitudinal length and the left kidney measures 5.8 cm in greatest longitudinal length.  There appears to be a peripelvic cyst in the interpolar region of the right kidney.  This measures approx. 2.2 cm in greatest dimension.  There appears to be two adjacent peripelvic cysts in the inferior pole of the left kidney, with a maximum dimension of approximately 3 cm.  No solid renal mass is seen.  There is no evidence of focal renal parenchymal thinning or scarring.  There is no evidence of hydronephrosis bilaterally.  Limited scans through the pelcvis demonstrate no evidence of distal ureteral dilatation.  There is a prevoid bladder volume of 105 cubic centimeters.  There is minimal postvoid residual in the urinary bladder of 8 cubic centimeters.

IMPRESSION:
1. There appear to be bilateral peripelvic cysts, as detailed above
2. Otherwise normal appearing renal ultrasound

Thank you very much!
Jackie
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem