Liver Disorders Community

Progress of Chirrosis

I'm writing this post because I'm extremely worried about my husband's condition. He was diagnosed with cirrhosis about a year ago. He was throwing up blood and had bloody stools for a month or so before this episode. He stayed in the hospital for a few days, got some plasma and the bleeding was fixed. Doctors told him o stop drinking immediately. He has been an alcoholic for about 25-30 years. He is 59. He does not care about his condition and keeps drinking up to this day. Every day I can see his decline mentally and physically. He had 1-2 episodes when he did not recognize me and had no idea where he was. His legs are swollen in spite of water pills. he sleeps all the time, is tired every day, his muscles are hurting, he is irritable and angry all the time. his stomach is huge and his skin is yellow. He does not want me to go to the doctor with him and does not share what they tell him. I don't know any of his lab results. What is the progression I should expect at this point? Do I need to be ready for the worst any time soon? Please any advice and input will be greatly appreciated!
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi Val, I have taken your question for Hector and posted it so he will see it.
I am so sorry for what you are going through.  He doesn't care if he dies? I doesn't mind leaving you or any other family?  It sounds as if he is severly depressed.  He also may have Hepatic Encephalopathy  which is when the liver is unable to remove toxins from the body and it begins to cloud your thinking.
Is there any way that you can get his labs? Can  you call the doctor and explain? Normally when someone fills out paperwork they indicate who can be contacted about your health
In fact as of October 8th, every patient has to fill out new paperwork.  I was told yesterday it was the law.  Even though I had just filled it all out 6 weeks ago I had to do it again.
I will try to find some information.
I am sure Hector will come to help and others will as well.
My best to you
Dee
His appointment is coming up in the next couple of weeks and I'm determined to go with him. I will request his lab work. My husband has been severely depressed in the last couple of years, the doctor had already stated he had high ammonia levels. He has been taking beta blockers, water pills, but has not gotten anything for his mental state. The confusion started a couple of months ago since his last doctor's appointment. Last time he did not want me to go with him because he was afraid I will tell the doctor that he was still drinking some. I don't think he is fully grasping his condition yet!
COMMUNITY LEADER
I think you are right, if his ammonia is high and he is acting confused he may need a medicine called Lactulose. It will help his thought process quite a bit.
Let us know how he is doing.  He definitely should not be drinking. He should cut out red meat, junk food, any processed food like lunch meats have a lot of salt.  I am really sorry you are both going through this. I hope you can get him help.  If he continues this could kill him.
Dee
Thanks for your support and advice! I will post his lab results after his doctor's appointments. Hopefully it clears up some stuff for us. Meanwhile I will try to manage his diet and convince him to stop his drinking or get some help with his addiction.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Please let us know how his appointment goes.  I hope that you can get him some help.  If not there is a good organization called Alanon.  It is helpful for people who are going through what you are.
Take Care
Thanks, his appointment is on the 15th of November. I will post his results as soon as we know. I will also go with him to see what the doctor says.
Take care!
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem