Lyme Disease Community

weight gain

I an 39 years old and have recently been diagnosed with Lyme, after about 5 years of complaints and symptoms.  Over the past 4 years I have gained about 10 pounds a year.  The weight gain does not respond to exercise, either aerobic or weight training ,admittedly I have a low tolerance for these activities which could be a contributing facter and I also have a low tolerance for "diets" as I get dizzy and even more fatigued when I change my diet.  (My usual diet is actaully pretty healthy overall anyway.)  So I have tried my best, to the point of fatigue ,and even used a trainer to teach me how to lose the weight - before I knew about the Lyme.
So my question is this, could the Lyme be contributing to the weight gain? and once I have completed the antibiotics is there a chance of losing the weight? or at least stopping the weight gain.  Aside from the vanity point of losing the weight I am sure it makes the arthritis and numbness worse to be carrying around 40 - 50 extra pounds.  I simply don't know how to fix this problem, as crazy as that sounds.
I have lyme and have gained 20 lbs. that won't budge. I am so frustrated, Looking for answers too.
Yes, with lyme you can either lose weight or gain.  I did both.  But, of course the weight gain is what stayed with me.  When I was able to start walking and changed my diet, I did lose some of it.  But, not all of it.  Don't give up though.
I use to work for the fresh water wild life conservation in the state of Fla and Began to get very ill in 2004 and progressively got worse. I have been repeatedly bitten.
And it has been a horrid experience, and allot of physicians are either just plain illiterate, or  only go by the 3/5/10 band show cut off, or Titters test. This test has been a waist of my money. I even asked for the IGG series and got no where.
You would not believe the things I have been told by physicians.
Even holding the darn ticks, from off my body, in vials, in my hand.
I was unaware of the dangers of these ticks until 06 and 07 and have been bitten repeatedly every seasonal hunting period since 2003.
I have been to numerous physicians who iggy me or tell me lymes is rare and I am only positive for one band. Need at the least 3.
IgG showed Borrellia 41. Wow must be one heck of a spirochete because I am extremely ill and no one seems to know anything about it. It is to my understanding that thousands of people are suffering at this same fate lymes band cut offs.
If titters shows neg...they stop at any other testing. I have been told that is all that CDC requires them to do.
I went from 140 lbs to 200 lbs. And that is with watching everything I put in my mouth. I use to walk 6 mile a week until my feet, knees, hips became so painful I could not do it any more.  My muscles get very painful too. My energy Level has diminished also. When I do have a good few days where I feel ok, that is when I catch up on chores etc...
Due to my age I have been told was going through menopause,  had arthritis, over eating, lack of exercise or in my head. If you ask for something for the severe pain you get that funny look from some of the Doc's. It has been one big circle of running to and fro with out any medical help at all.I have resorted to hunting the web and speaking with other people with lymes, for alternative medicines and healing helps.
The email below was sent to me after my inquiry of physician information. I need to find one.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For IgG testing of Lyme disease, 5 of 10 specific bands need to be
positive for the test to be considered positive. The 41kDa protein alone
(or any band alone) is not evidence of past or present Borrelia
infection. In fact, a good portion of the healthy US population has
reactivity to band 41.  

Lyme disease is not endemic in the southern United States, as you may be
aware.  There is however a similar illness, called Southern tick
associated Rash Illness (STARI) which is characterized by a rash similar
to that of Lyme disease, but occurs after the bite of an different tick,
the lone star tick, and is not caused by Borrelia burgdorferi.

We always recommend that you seek care from physicians associated with
academic institutions. Please continue to work with your health care
provider to determine the cause and appropriate treatment for your
symptoms.

Please see our website for additional information on testing for Lyme
disease. www.cdc.gov/lyme

Sincerely,

Kiersten Kugeler
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Division of Vector-Borne Infectious Diseases
Bacterial Diseases Branch
Fort Collins, Colorado
email:***@****

Yes, I have flutuating weight loss and weight gain. It is so much harder for me to lose weight now. My LLMD reviewed my last thyroid results and said it was slow. So far I've seen there is a correlation to low thyroid and Lymes
when I first started getting symptoms - over 3 yrs.ago - [I had never heard of lyme then] - I asked my doc. if it could be due to 'menopause' and was told 'no - you are too young' - [I was 45 yrs.] - having visited doc. on numerous occasions since - I have been told it is probably due to 'menopause - hormone levels' !!!

I have since found an LLMD. [lyme literate doctor] - thankfully.

weight gain/loss can be part of lyme - obviously we can't do the excersise etc; that we once did - but I think the bacteria affects our metabolism - well it affects just about everything doesn't it.

Welcome.  Weight gain or loss is on the symptoms list for lyme.  Lyme affects the hormone levels and decreases our exercise tolerance.  I haven't gained any weight but I am very cautious about what I eat as I can't exercise like Iused to.