Medullary Sponge Kidney Disease (MSK) Community
515 Members

Preparing for Nephorlogist Appt.

I am trying to get prepared for my Nephrologist appointment next month.  A little background below.
My question is - are there questions I should be ready to ask of the kidney Dr?  Any info I should request, would they think it is weird to ask for my test results?

Background

Due to the issues of bladder and urinary tract discomfort I was having, an ultrasound was ordered where they saw abnormalities with my kidneys tentatively noted as possible Meullary Sponge Kidney.  There was no blood or infection found in the initial urine test hence the referral from my GP to the Urologist.

My urologist ordered a 24hr urine test then referred me to a kidney specialist, I don't know the results of the 24 hr test as I haven't been back to the urologist since, I expect to find out more at the Kidney specialist.

I am also going in for a cystoscopy with the urologist this week to determine if I have IC.

This weekend (after all the events above) I had a kidney stone and was in ER this weekend, and had a CT, they saw the stone (almost in my bladder at the time).  High Blood Pressure and Blood in the Urine found at that time.
I don't believe the stone has passed yet, but the pain is pretty much gone for the moment after they gave me an injection of (gee I can't remember what) it started with a "T".

If you have any suggestions for me, I would be grateful.

W
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi and WELCOME!  They may want to order a CT SCan w/o contrast to really see the extent of your stones.  That would be my thought as I read your post.  Write down any/all ?'s you have and bring resutls with you from all labs/tests and get copied in on any future tests so you can bring them with you to the ER so they believe you and don't think you are seeking pain meds,.

I have had two cysto's .. they aren't too bad.

Keep us posted and again, WELCOME!~

C
Thanks so much, I don't personally have any of the results, they are all with the Dr.'s.
The CT scan I did was no contrast, so sounds like that was good.

Thanks again!
COMMUNITY LEADER
Was it something like Toradel or something like that? (the injection?)
HI AND WELCOME I HAVE MSK AND ALSO IC!  PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT
ME... I HAVE MET SEVERAL OF US WITH MSK AND IC , ENOUGH THAT IT MAKES
ME WONDER IF THE COMPLICATIONS OF MSK, SURGERIES STONES, INFECTION
ETC ALSO PLAY A ROLE IN THE BLADDER DAMAGE OF IC.

WHEW NOT SURE WHAT TO HAVE YOU ASK.. IN TRUTH THE QUESTIONS I WOULD ASK WOULD BE BASED ON YOUR SYMPTOMS AND LEVEL OF NEED FOR TREATMENT OF EACH.  AGAIN FEEL FREE TO TALK OPENLY HERE OR SEND ME A PM.  I AM ALSO AN IC SUPPORT GROUP LEADER FOR MISSOURI AND ARKANSAS.
WE HAVE A WEBSITE www.moarkic.com, though this is mainly for IC patients in our region there is a lot of helpful info on the site as well!  let me know if I need any help!

Shelly
Thanks All,
I went back to the urologist and they will be doing a blasting my stone at the same time as doing the cystoscopy now, so I will be in Day surgery instead of outpatient.

The drug was Toradol (sp?) and I have a prescription for that now as well as Flomax to hopefully rid myself of the stone.
I received the results of the tests they did on me recently and it appears that all the numbers are in the acceptable range for kidney function, so I am relieved about that.

Shelly, I will let you know if they find IC, the Dr. seems to think that all my issues may have been caused by this stone, so perhaps I will get a clean bill of health at least on that one!

Thanks again

COMMUNITY LEADER
Good luck and keep us posted on the blasting.  My Uro is the head of a very large, well-known stone blasting that is assoc with a well-known NYC hospital and my stones are too small to blast .. he said they turn into the size mine are after they are blasted, not before LOL.

C~