Medullary Sponge Kidney Disease (MSK) Community
515 Members

Vit D Deficiency & MSK - Great Article Inside

Office of Dietary Supplements
National Institutes of Health
Bethesda, Maryland 20892 USA
Web: http://ods.od.nih.gov

Dietary Supplement Fact Sheet: Vitamin D

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Weight-Loss/Dietary-Supplement-Fact-Sheet-Vitamin-D--Page-1-of-3/show/1005?cid=129

This will be in our Health Pages soon, too for our reference.

Many of us here on MSK Community have very low Vit. D results when tested via bloodwork.  May not be a bad idea to ask for a Vit D test at your next visit with your Uro, Neph, Family Dr., etc.

C~
COMMUNITY LEADER
The article isn't directly related to MSK & Vit D, but it is all about Vit D

C~
Is there some place we might be able to find this article in english?
COMMUNITY LEADER
The info is in there but not as easy-to-read as some of our health pages.  What is good about this reference is that it's a 100% credible source and can be pulled apart if you have a specific question to reference.  We can ask MSKShelly to help us decipher (she works in research like this all the time LOL!!).

I found the tables good and the excerpts informative as they relate to specific topics, but not exactly a piece you'd read over if bored for no reason.

C~
Unless you were looking for a sedative.  LOL
COMMUNITY LEADER
LOL . .that was a good one!  How are you doing?
Just found it will save it since it's 4am and it read it in the am and try to put it in real words.Especially since I had to take pain meds.for my IC LOL

I can read doctor I just can't speak it!  I will work on that tomorrow!
Thanks for the link Cheryl!

Shelly

COMMUNITY LEADER
Ok -- so if ALL my tests are normal (thank goodness) in the dept of thyroid, parathyroid, Urology, 24 hr urine and calcium and all that stuff, why don't I absorb Vit D anymore?!   Even after oodles of sun on vacation my level has fallen down to a 23 after being off the 50,000iu's for ONLY 2 weeks.  32-100 is normal.   I bet it is from taking Synthroid for my thyroid that there is some interaction ... that has to be it I think ... especially since this all started since my thyroid surgery in '07.   Hmmmmm ??

I think there is some relationship between MSK and Vit. D ... yep ... plain english is most helpful .. I know you posted it once :)
OK actually there are several reason why that could be happening,.

According to the link above you sent it explains that Vit D  from sun, food and supplements is processed two ways in the body, one is mainly in the liver and the other is mainly in the kidney.  Those of us with MSK often have metabolic issues, I believe this has something to do with the defect itself and the way our kidney drain etc.  

I know that both my docs, Dr. Wolf , and a research article I found mentioned using caution to make sure not to over treat deficiency since this can increase stones.  I have had 2 stone patients who had high not low Vit D.also.  I read that this can be connect to thyroid issues as well.  So for us it can go either way and this link also shows us the risks associate with both too low and too  high levels,

I also learned your body uses the stores of Vit D when fighting an autoimmune disease or chronic infection also.  SO if your body uses more of it and can not
metabolize it as quickly it means your basically can run out of ammunition quicker or
it leaves stores of the Vit D in your body that it is unable to break down by proper metabolics depending on how your body process it.

My favorite compounder did tell me that they sell a Vit D that is a fish oil base.  Like yours though it is like 5,000iu's which my doctors are not willing to put me on  However, Kevin told me that Vit D is most often found in foods in fish.  Therefor his suggestion was to take my Vit D with my fish oil capsules daily to aid in absorption
This has seemed to help me even on a lower iu.  If you want the link to the Vit D they sell let me know.  He did tell me they had success with several who had not responded to treatment previously  b giving them the one they carry..

I did also notice something in this article,
"Levels of1,25(25)2 D "do not typically decrease until Vit D deficiency is severe."

I really like this chart too,

Here is explains that low levels of children less then 27.5 but greater then 11 had a
high risks of teckets.

In adults levels greater then 15-15 but less the 25-37.5 can cause bone density loss and a weakened over all health.  They area really just beginning to understand all the things connected with Vit D levels.

Those with less the 30 but not greater the 75 is the desirable goal and the best levels to have,

those consistently less the 200 and not more then 500 vit d. can be potentially toxic
although human studies are lacking.

BOTTOM LINE IT THIS.  RESEARCHERS ARE JUST NOW STARTING TO SEE THE
IMPORTANCE OF VIT D LEVELS IN THE BODY.   I THINK IN THE FUTURE WE WILL SEE MANY MORE STUDIES DONE ON THE EFFECTS OF VIT. D IN THE BODY.  WE DON'T KNOW ALL THE RISK  THAT LOW OR TOO HIGH LEVELS CAN CONTRIBUTE BUT WE KNOW THEY EXIST.  SO IT IS IMPORTANT TO HAVE YOUR LEVELS CHECKED AND MONITORED BY YOUR DOCTOR AND NOT JUST TRY TO SELF TREAT!

Hope that helps!

Shelly
COMMUNITY LEADER
Yoo Hoo ... it's in English!  Thanks Shelly!