Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
691983 tn?1266804832

RTA

do you guys think i could have rta???i read it causes autoimmune disease .
11 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
489228 tn?1291531454
it means they can tell their is a metabolic issue but need to test the thyroid to rule it out as the cause before labeling you with RTA..., thyroid issues can go along with MSK...but CCheryl knows more about that then me.

Shelly
Helpful - 0
691983 tn?1266804832
well i do have last years med records.guess what the dr. wrote differentail diagnosis include msk ,hyperparathyroidism, or Renal Tubular Acidosis.so what that mean??
Helpful - 0
489228 tn?1291531454
RTA is Renal Tubular Acidosis...
this means that the body does process the sodium bicarb correctly so your body is too acidic. This can lead to many immune type diseases.  However they can treat RTA.

I read an article but do not really remember where that stated many of us (with MSK) actually have an incomplete form of RTA. The reason is that the calcium stones alkalize your urine... and so do most bacteria. Those that are urea spliting organisms, will alkalize your urine,  since our urine tends to be more acidic esp. with RTA... they balance each other out making our urine pH appear normal when in reality it is not.
This can maks the RTA in many patients.  I think this is true for me.

Look under the health pages on this site,,, someone I assume Cheryl has done a great job of compliling a fantasitic list of research articles.  I bet there is about RTA on there.  If not let me know and I will find the one I have somewhere!

Hope that helps!
Shelly
Helpful - 0
691983 tn?1266804832
i just found this .i think my dr.s are thinking i have ra or lupus.this what i found.More often, however, classic distal renal tubular acidosis is a complication of diseases that affect many organ systems (systemic diseases), like the autoimmune disorders Sjögren's syndrome and lupus.

Helpful - 0
691983 tn?1266804832
so what is this Renal Tubular Acidosis.i don't know what it is?
Helpful - 0
489228 tn?1291531454
maybe RTA and MSK can go hand in hand, but there are definate markers and your doctor should know this.  SO ASK.... and get your records,  Recently someone found out they had because the doctor put it in the chart but never bothered to tell them!

Esp. with all your pain treating RTA can make a big differenece in those areas.  It wouldn't hurt to ask...esp if you go to a nephrologist etc.
Helpful - 0
686246 tn?1252425081
just recently diagnosed with it. If you see a Rheumatologist or NEPHROLOGIST THEY WILL DO BLOOD TEST TO CONFIRM.
Helpful - 0
686246 tn?1252425081
I have it along with the RA AND MSK
Helpful - 0
691983 tn?1266804832
yeah i guess .Renal Tubular Acidosis.i was reading today a girl wrote and said she has this with msk. and her potassium is low.  and has a autoimmune disease  . i also have low potassium.and now  a autoimmune disease .do they just test you for this or do i have to ask??i did have the antinuclear blood test.that is positive.chitchat it  was in old posts on the msn board.it was maybe in the last six months it was wrote on their.i do know i have biofilm infection.thats most likey all from that. thanks you guys..
Helpful - 0
592774 tn?1325393742
Did you mean Renal Tubular Acidosis? It can be diagnosed with blood and urine tests. They test the acid and potassium in your blood.
Helpful - 0
168348 tn?1379357075
What is RTA?  [ dummy icon here ] ?

C~
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Medullary Sponge Kidney Disease (MSK) Community

Top Digestive Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem