Cold/Wet Feeling on an area on my leg

I have no idea where to post this question of mine.  

Often times I have found myself trying to dry off my left leg below the knee because I thought I felt my leg get wet.  It is so annoying!!! There is nothing I could see on my leg and every brush I do, my hand ends up being dry, not wet.  What could be the possible cause of this???

I thought about posting in the Neurology forum as well as skin-ology.  I thought it might be possible it had something to do with nerves in my leg that's causing this wet feeling.

Thanks,

Me
I have exact same thing on left leg just above the knee!!! So weird. I will ask about it at my next Dr. visit, but I don't think its something to be overly concerned with.
I am so pleased to know im not alone. My wet sensation is on the temple sides of my face. This has been going on for about 2 weeks. so weird. I have other issues, type2 diabetes high blood, gout, migraines, and arthritis. I wonder if theses symptoms are contributory to these illnesses. I will b checking to see what you all think. love to hear from u. THANX
Mine as well is on the temples but i also get it on the legs and on the underneath side of my right buttcheek. The neurologist said it is one of 4 things - my epilespsy giving me new auras, my neuopathy acting stupid, MS, or fibromyalgia. We are doing more tests. The likelihood it is either the epilepsy - had since birth or the neuopathy -- due to diabetes, had for last 12 years. So I am at a wait and see stage.  

Keep your spirits up I certainly am trying to do that. :)
I thought it was starting to rain, I felt a cold wetness on my left side of my face between my cheek and my lip, I was wearing gloves and wiped my face but it seemed to not dry up so I took off my glove and tried to wipe ... there was nothing there no water, no moisture and the sensation of wetness did not go away; at one point I thought maybe I had slobbered on my self as I was speaking but there was nothing wet on my face... the sensation is always in the same spot on my face between my cheek and upper lip... nothing there? What is happening?
The doctors have no answer for this, typically, so as someone who suffers from the same thing - this weird sensation in my joints or on my legs - I go alternative. One thing I have discovered is that I am deficient in all the Bs and that I have to have them in order to have energy and to help the nerves.  If I don't take them, I really can feel the difference.  I do not recommend a multivitamin (useless).  Take a good B12 or B complex, make sure you get folate (B6), B5 (niacin) and all the other Bs as well. It may not cure it, but it can't hurt and will certainly help.  Hope this helps. If not, we will all have to make the discovery and put the medical profession to shame.  Too many of us have this same wet/cold sensations.
This cold wet sensation started for me yesterday. I also just started working out and have been inactive for about 4 months prior to this workout. I'm thinking I pulled something? I feel it above my left ankle on the left side and I also messed up my left knee a few months ago too. I've had migraines all my life as well, in my 30s now, and some digestive issues, IBS type stuff. I really want to keep working out so I hope this goes away... If anyone has been to the doctor and can report back about their experience that would be great. I will go this week if nothing changes. Such a weird sensation! Thanks for sharing everyone :)
Well, like many others on this forum, I'm amazed to see so many with similar symptoms to me. I've had it for three weeks - in my case it's a wet feeling on my right thigh above the knee - I keep having to touch to check that there's no water there.

In my case there is a correlation between when it started and me being prescribed Amitriptyline tables (10mg per day). For the last year I've had pain in my left testicle which has stopped me from exercising and been fairly deliberating. After 3 types of antibiotic and 3 ultrasounds they found nothing (I figure hernia, they say no) and have given me Amitriptyline saying that it will 'reprogram' my over sensitive nerves in that area.

Others on this forum have mentioned the wet feeling as being neurological. Anyone else perhaps taking similar tablets?

Hi.  Anyone else here on lithium?
The sensation is in the left leg and foot.
I heard that SCENAR therapy might help - going to try it...
I have been experiencing this cold wet sensation from my knee to my ankle, for the past few weeks. last September I had an operation on my legs and there was nerve damage to my left leg ( where I now get this sensation) so I was putting this down to the nerves waking up. I do have fibromyalgia and Ehlers Danlos as well as spinal stenosis, maybe I should get this checked out. Don't know when though as I'm having a hip replacement on the other side on Friday :(
I  know this is going to sound soooooo 'out there' but I have to ask as these symptoms have "just started' in a lot of people. Don't boot me off the forum here for what I am going to ask..but here goes.... "Have a lot of you people had any 'strange' experiences or 'dreams' at night lately..ie..dreams that have felt sooo real that you actually feel like they are?? Are there any of you that'know' something strange is happening but are too scared to say anything??  Just needed to ask this as I believe there is more to this...I won't say what just yet.
I know your original comment is very old and I'm not sure if you'll even see this at this point, but I googled my symptoms (weird brush of cold in one area on the side of my leg) which have been happening every hour or so for the last 2 days. My first thought of course is something medical (because I've been dealing with joint pain and what I believe to me tendinitis for a few days) but I did think of something as you put it, "out there" I have been very stressed lately which is nothing new, but the dreams you mentioned.. Hit very close to home. Curious about you thoughts on this, since you seem to believe there is more to this...
Your comment sounds the closest to whats going on with me, ive been dealing with narcolepsy with cataplexy for all of my 20s, am now 27 and finally getting things figured out with all that... but the cold spots kinda feel like and ice pack hovering just barely over my skin and started when my then boyfriend broke up with me and i had an uber mental break, since then it comes and goes, but when i have it drives me crazy, i get it more or less everywhere, normally neck/chest or thigh/groin area, but it can some times feel like it moves around too... is this kinda what you have and if so what haveyou found out so far in your search? I havent found much more then MS or lupin....
Hannah Please let me know how your doctors visit went. I have also had migraines all my life and now, as I started jogging, I am having cold patches sometimes in my legs and sometimes in my arms- it is such an odd feeling and frankly frightening. I am glad to see this community out here- I hope it will bring some answers soon!
Hi all
I have been experiecing this sensation also.mostly on the top of the foot & around the ankle.its feels very much like water dripping on the area.
Iam a crohns sufferer & am taking various medication. I.e amatryptiline,codeine phosphate infliximab infusions every 6 weeks.
These strange sensations only started a few weeks ago.I've also been suffering with a stiff neck for last few weeks which i,m just taking anti inflammatory for.i've also just finished a course of B12 injections.
I feel this wet feeling could be to do with poss nerve damage or inflamation.
Sounds weird but like an earlier post made by someone i also have had a strange but realistic dream recently.i have been wondering about it but putting down to all the medication.
I have the same wet/cooling sensation in my lower left leg. I am amazed I didn't read any comments about back pain. I am convinced my strange symptoms are a result  of my L5-S1 8mm disc herniation, which has resulted in, at times, severe sciatica, left hip pain, and possibly permanent numbness in my left thigh region.  

I would encourage all who are experiencing this pain to request an MRI of the back that correlates with the region in which they are experiencing sensation (e.g.: lower extremities = lumbar, upper extremities = cervical and thoracic) Look for not just herniations, but also buldging discs.

Let me know if anyone comes up with
I've been dealing with sciatica for 8 months, but didn't put a name on it till recently.  It is now concentrated in my left leg & left hip.  Recently started Rx for Mobic and I'm doing the recommended exercises.  This week I started with a "cold drip" on the back of my left calf.  Wonder if either of those 2 things are contributing? I'll investigate with MRI as you suggested but after I pay off the "ultrasound" and "bloodwork" that Dr. recommended, which turned up nothing.  
I'm so glad I'm not going mad. Cold, wet spot on back middle of right thigh an inch in diameter everytime I sit down for just over a week. Driving me crazy searching for wet clothes/ seats. Figured it was neurological/ nerve based in nature. 27/M never been ill. I have started to notice my right leg getting less supportive, but only when I change from sitting to moving fast in quick succession. Almost as though it is getting more sluggish than anything. Scared. Glad not to be alone.
Hello, everybody ~

I just felt the cold spot behind my right knee this morning and has lasted all day.  I knew I would find other folks feeling the same sensation, but I wish there was some diagnosis.  I am 45 years old and pre-diabetic.  I have just started running again (older beginner, 12mpm, and I have over 1,000 recorded miles).  From all the previous comments, I have gathered these:

Dysesthesia (from a doctor)
Peripheral Neropathy (from a doctor)
Chiari
Sciatica
Disc Herniation
Bulging Disc
Pinched Nerve
Vitamin B Deficiency (take multivitamin, B12, B Complex, B5, and B6)

I hope to see more comments from medical experts.  I, personally, am not going to worry about it yet, but I will keep an eye on this forum.

Good luck to all of us!
*Peripheral Neuropathy
I had these symptoms (numbness and wet feelings in feet and back of legs) that started in 2005 and progressed into 2006. After many tests the doctor found diet chemicals in the tissue in my feet and legs. I had been drinking two diet sodas per day for about 25 years and it had begun to cause these symptoms and was affecting my kidneys and liver (and the doctor thinks pancreas too). I stopped all diet chemicals and within three months ALL problems were gone. I have never had another diet chemical in my body and try to eat as much organics as possible. I hope this helps!
I have had two spine surgeries this year. The first one was my cervical spine, the second was lumbar. My lumbar spine fusion was August 18th. I am still unable to work because I have partial numbness in my left leg amd foot.

I started noticing this past week that my right elbow feels cold and wet. I lift my arm to check, but nope, it's dry. I feel pretty confident that is is spinal related. I just moved to another state so am waiting on my old neurosurgeon to refer me to a neurosurgeon I found here (my insurance requires a referral)
    This morning, I noticed a lump on my lower back around the incision about the size of a pea, right where the new hardware is. I am quite concerned it is one of the screws poking out. Hopefully I will get into the new neurosurgeon's office quickly, otherwise I may need to go to the loval ER per my nurse at old surgeon's office to get an xray and/or an MRI.
   I am just so glad I found this site...I was beginning to think I was nuts!
I will post as soon as I have some answers.

I have been having this wet /cold feeling on the lower back part of my knee (right) for months now. I have recently been told I have the start of cervical cancer. My hand gripping s well is going. It is so frustrating feeling like my grip is not what it use to be. What could all this be? I woke up last night screaming cause my body Was in so much pain. I have also been having very intense night sweats. So bad I keep a change of cloths by my bed...what s going on with me???? Help?
Did your water sensations stop how? Thx
I have same sensations two months post knee surgery I do have Lyme disease and am going for MRI brain and spine. Scared!
Did the water sensation go away! I have the same thing post arthroscopic
Hi there, I started getting tnat cold wet feeling in my upper right thigh late last year, I thought I had spilled cold ice water on myself.Then it started to switch to like a warming sensation then baxk to cold wet.Lately  a severe pain started in my upper back and has stayed with me for 7 weeks now.I had a spinal MRI which showed 2 round zacs on the oposite outsides of my spine, now going for a complete body bone scan.
Have you found any answers? I guess my only other symptom is being off balance a lot.
I have a neurological condition called arachnoiditis. Causes pain like a herniated disc. Had epidural blocks & surgery with no relief. Have been seeing pain mgmt for over 10 years - on narcotics. Just got tired of it all & weaning myself off. Pain is still present but now I too have noticed a very fuzzy feeling in my right foot & ankle with that annoying feeling that ice water is being poured down my leg, ankle & foot. I believe it is all related to the back problem. No one knows what to do! It's NOT in our heads!
I have it on my left eyelid, like a cool water drop or a touch of mint or Bengay. At first I thought it was raining, but the feeling persisted indoors.  No other symptoms or diseases that I know of.  It's annoying.  Hope it doesn't grow or multiply.
I started having the same feeling of a cold and wet spot on the left inside of my right knee.  I'm glad to see many other people have the same problem, but I wish I knew what it was.  I was having lower back pain from carrying heavy bags about the same time that this started.  I also take thyroid medication and BP medicine.
This started happening to me about two weeks ago, same thing cold and wet above ankle on my lower calf.  Kept looking for cold water to wipe. Now my foot is swelling. 3 years post op on full knee replacement. No symptoms in the other. After reading all the posts I will let my doctor know at my next visit.
That is the EXACT feeling I had except it was down the right side of my face. It has only happened once so far when I first awoke one morning. I wiped my face thinking I was crying in my sleep or something crazy like my head was bleeding.... but the feeling was so real. When I looked my hand was completely dry. When I sat up the cold mint feeling was all over the back of my head. I am 33 yrs old with a mother who as MS. I have not mentioned this to my parents btw.  I am scared but I know an MRI is needed.
and yes it is very comforting not being alone but what is this?
Me: Athletic male; 47 years old; 6'0"; 170 lbs; no medical conditions; no regular medications; I rarely drugs of any kind (including caffeine, alcohol, and aspirin).

Symptom: A cool sensation on the skin on the right side of the right leg in an indistinct area about 6 inches below the knee. The sensation is mild, like a light breeze blowing against the skin. No pain. No numbness. No diminished capacity of any kind.

Occurrence: Started about 2 weeks ago, coincident with nothing. I notice it a few times each day. Occurs regardless of whether or not I'm wearing clothes over the area. Occurs regardless of activity -- I've noticed it while sitting idle, standing, walking, jogging, and biking. I've never noticed it while in bed.

Progression: Seems to be holding steady. At first, I noticed it only once every couple of days; now several times per day. However, I think I notice it more often due to growing awareness, not increasing prevalence of the underlying effect.

Treatment: None yet. I haven't seen a doctor about it. I haven't tried any home remedies.

Responsiveness: As mentioned above, I haven't tried to treat this yet, so I don't have much to say about its responsiveness to treatment. I can say that I continue using the leg muscles for exercise (hiking, jogging, biking), and the condition seems unresponsive to exercise.

Additional notes:

For at least a week, I thought this was just the fabric of my pants brushing against my leg in an odd way.

Most of the posts describe their sensation as "cold" or "wet"; I can see how those words apply, but they wouldn't be my first choice -- my sensation is more "cool" or "breezy".

It seems that many people posting here are trying to figure out whether this is related to a specific incident, drug, or diagnosis. I will emphasize that for me, I can identify no triggering incident; I take no drugs; and I have no known medical conditions.
I googled it and im in shock that this is a thing! Mine is on the side of my right butt cheek. All the sudden I feel I must have gotten wet and I feel there everytime to make sure like an idiot...lol Has anyone gotten answers about this? Weird, not painful, but annoying.
I also have the same symptoms. Im going to see a neurologist to have a proper examination, but there are a lot of causes possible. The causes can be serious, but I also found that it can be in many cases stress related.

When worrying about it, it will cause more stress and bring you in a viscious circle. So my advice, try to relax and look if you are maybe to stressfull lately or that there a big changes in your life. It can for sure cause this kind of sensations.

Of course i also advice to consult a doctor, but don't Google yourself sick...
Mine feels like a 'dripping out of my body sensation" from my right groin.
No pain - just annoying and confusing. The same area has a very warm sensation from time to time. My doctor said to keep an eye on it and if it gets worse or more frequent, come back.
I don't know if it's the same thing or not but for the past couple of months I frequently experience the sensation of stepping in something wet.  I even took a towel to blot the water off of a kitchen rug, only to dicover that it wasn't  wet.  Several times a day I reach down to feel for a wet spot on the carpet because I'm certain that I just stepped on something wet.  I finally realized that this is a phantom sensation as there never is a wet spot.  This only occurs on the bottom of my foot, nowhere else on my body.  I have had numbness in my toes and the ball of my foot for several years (and that feeling of something balled up in the toe of my she or stuck between my toes) but this sensation of stepping on something wet is new.  Anyone else have this kind of feeling?
I have had a cold right lower leg chin area for two weeks, I have been through a lot in the last year leaky gut, allergies, paracites, Mercury fillings removed, moved to cold climate, auto immune disease flare up, ect ect.....it is a weird feeling it would be interesting to hear from people that wrote originally to see if it just went away? I see a Natropath and haven't told him yet but I will and I am interested to see what he says. it could be a lack of peripheral blood to that leg? I've had referred nerve pain in my knee before but that feels more like burning, most problems I have I research more myself, this blog was the first place I found, with no clear diffinition, other than get an MRI. It is not as easy as running off for an MRI though. This is a generalised statement but....When you don't have a physical ailment doctors can be a little sceptical, just from my past year worth of problems.
Have you researched possibly having an Arnold chairing malformation?  And/or syringomyilia?  
sorry it auto corrected. It should say Arnold chiari malformation
Me too.  a neurologist checked my nerves in my legs and said I had restless leg syndrome.  How can that be the cause?
Did you ever find anything out about the wet behind your leg.  You said you were going to have an MRI to check it out.  I guess this is pretty common and we don't know what to do about it.
In my case and without seeing a neurologist I suspect I may have lumbar spinal stenosis. 5'8" 47 female w/o medical issues. About 15 years ago started feeling pins and needles in both arms. X-Rays showed cervical curve reversed lordosis (not related to symptoms to the best of my knowledge), MRI test results were inconclusive, nerve conduction study with normal results. Time went by, now I'm overweight at 190 lbs. and for the past year with constant lower back pain that only seems to be mitigated by bending over. Also very light bladder/bowel incontinence issues (when sneezing, coughing) and since about 3 weeks ago a water trickling sensation just behind my right knee. Action plan: loose weight, mild exercises to strengthen back muscles and closely watch for evolution of existing/new symptoms that could rule out my suspicions. Surgery: not worth it. Diagnosis: only if changes in symptoms point to something else other than stenosis.
Hi, I have strange feeling of wet if something touches my leg below the knee. I kept thinking my dressing gown was wet where it was touching. I have a numb and painful foot and lower leg which has shown as a herniated disc on a recent MRI scan.  I also have severe stenosis...this has been getting worse over the past 3 and a half years, when surgery back then was ruled out. I am due to go and see a surgeon again in the near future.
I also have severe spinal stenosis and I just recently started to get this sensation in my lower right leg by my ankle.  I have neuropathy in that leg also.
Don't have answers, just the same symptoms. I had right shoulder rotator cuff surgery in April 2016 (it's now Nov). Ever since then, I have had that cold, wet sensation mostly on my upper arm (surgery-side) but also sometimes on head, upper legs (one or the other or both), etc. Pretty consistently on upper arm. I keep waiting for it to just GO AWAY.

(Coincidently - or not - I also experienced a long (5 mo) bout of skin rash/itching/excessive-dryness/pins&needles which did eventually end. But with that came some actual wetness on backs of legs/upper arms. Related? If not, fine. I just need to figure out this upper right arm cool/wet sensation.)

Making me crazy.
Two years ago I was having the wet legs feeling right above my knees simultaneously. It went away after a month or two. Recently it started on my right arm, between my wrist and elbow when I swallow hot food or a hot drink. It lasts 10 seconds and returns with every swallow! Strangest thing I've ever felt!
Okay it is 2017 and it just started yesterday. I looked up wet cold feeling on right leg and it brought me here. I am amazed at how many are on here with the same. Anyone have any luck at all?
Today is July 10 2017 I have the same wet feeling in my ankles but when I feel my pant leg and ankles they are dry. Did you find anything out? Did it go away? ***@****
I have the same thing. About 2 weeks now, but also it feels like my leg is asleep and just buzzing like crazy. No pain. Can anyone help???
September 2017 - experiencing same symptom on both legs between knees and ankle. When googled, an article appeared on how this is a common anxiety-related symptom. It may not be the same for all of us, but for some of us.
I am getting this too. I had knee surgery 10 days ago and sometimes I think my incision is bleed or I spilled water on it but when I check my steri strips are bone dry.
This is parestesia. It is a nerve disease. I have since last 10 years. There is no cure. I am taking gabapentin. This  is for nerve pain. Neurologist can confirm the diagnosis and the treatment.It is lifetime disease. I am 87.I will be happy if some one comes with the solution of this problem.Usually doctors say the pathology of the disease is not known.
Okay, I have the same crazy thing. This wet/cold spot on my knee which doesnt exist. My back hurts me often, just a bit but I know my muscles arent strong enough right now, I dont exercise neither well nor often... I just hope that with exercise it will get better. If you found out, please tell me!
Hey, so this morning I started to feel a wet spot in my underwear. Left thigh underneath my butt cheek. No bigger than a dime. It feels wet and cold and lasts for a second or two and then when I investigate it goes away. Not trying to be funny here but I thought I farted and left a wet one. I checked my underwear and no wetness. When I got home from work, it started happening again. My wife thinks its nerves or stress maybe? I dont know but I changed underwear and want to see if it will happen again. Very strange. I will report back tomorrow. Thanks