Tender spots on head

My pain on my head seems to be more noticeable at times then others but the pain is constant. I have had what I called "soft spots" for a while and they hurt if you touch them. It has just been recently that they have seemed to go from "only certin sections of my head" to the whole top back of my head. Now when I lay in bed with my head on my pillow my head will hurt (more often then not) because of the pressure touching them I guess. I cant afford insurance. What do you think is wrong with my head? Do you think its serious?
I've had a problem for years with sore spots on my head. I cannot lay on my back because I get dizzy. They're not painful unless I touch them. They feel like bruises. Had a catscan done over 10 years ago and nothing was found. Pain is always there and never goes away. I can hardly sleep on my right side because of pain. Only can sleep on left side comfortably and now as of yesterday, pain over left forehead. I hope that new one is not like the other spots. I want it to go away.
You are the only person,so far,that has abnormal hair breakage and change in texture. The pain is on the top crown are,and feels like a stinging,burning feeling. I can barely stand to even wash my hair,in that area. I also have constant,frontal headache,with pain behind my eyes. My beautiful head of hair,has gone to weird,dry,brittle,frizzy hair.Also,never lost hair before,and been noticing a thinning of hair. The area on the top of my head,where the pain is,is a very coarse strip of hair. I had a brain ct,and it came up normal,so now they want me to take topamax,for migraine preventative. Think the neuro's are out to lunch. tired of feeling like crap.
hi kangel, does your pain come and go? mine starts at top very top of the back of my head and can move to the front hairline. in the back part it feels like i am pressing hard with my thumb, when it move to the front it fells like a burning sensation. have you had this? i had a ct scan and it was normal. it is compleletly gone in the morning and comes back in the evening. please anyone else also relpy?
Probably not a tumor. I have them and I've had two MRIs of the brain, with contrast, both clear. I've been in 7, yes 7 rearend collusions in the past 25 years. I would highly suggest that you insist on an MR, with contrast (!!!!) of your cervical spine. They just did one on me and have found a "thickening" in my tonsil, damage to a nerve, and paraylsis of my left neck. Who knows when all this happened due to nobody imaging it until now. On my insistence. You really have to push. If you have to, just say you are having memory gaps and numbness in your arms and hands (cervical-based). Crappy to have to fib, but doctors are dealing with insurance companies and you have to hand them the symptoms to get over that hurdle. Me? I'm off to an ENT to see if the "thickening" is cancer, perhaps brought on by all the truama to my neck. (MRI said "neoplasm"; not me being dramatic.) :-(
I don't know what I have but it feels like if you put your hair up too tight for too long and then take it down. It hurts really bad when I touch that area and it feels a little swollen. It is the left top of my head. My hair is to short to put up and I stop putting clips and things in my hair hoping it will stop hurting and it has been like 3 weeks and it still hurts.it is not red or hot or itchy it just HURTS and aches specially when I touch or brushor wash that area on my scalp.
Sounds like your symptoms might be pychosomatic.  Are you under a lot of stress and have you unresolved past issues?  I suggest you read Dr John Sarno's books - Mindbody Prescription and Healing Back Pain.

All the best to you
Actually to all, I have the same soreness, as many others all who have been "floxed" meaning an adverse reaction to fluoroquilone antibiotics, which result in Central nervous System and PNS damage.Plus several other disabling damages to the body. I am suspecting it is nerve ending damage as well as cranium pessure. Hope this helps. The main Fluoroquilones are Levaquin, Cipro and Avelox, educate yourselves on this damage, very widespread.
i have a Chairi Malformation with Syrinx in spinal cord .. im just about to have brain surgery and this is my reason for all symptoms above ... not that im saying this is the reason for all .. just expressing what i have
My Two sisters have chiari malformation. They keep testing me for it but nope. They said bulged and herniated disk....I then had a concussion 1 and a half year ago.pain spot in head neck pain getting worse and throwing up a lot. When I bend over feel so much pressure like my head will blow. I have no insurance. What can I do????
Very interesting..I too have these same symptoms. My head feels like it has a giant bruise on it.  I was very concerned that I could have developed an infection of some type. I recently had some neorological testing at least one of them was invasive. I suffer from lightheadedness with some nausea. I have permanent fluid in the middle ear a condition called Meniers Disease that causes extreme bouts of vertigo. These come and go over the years. The scalp headaches may be connected. I am starting special therapy next week to teach my body to compensate for my symptoms. I am at the age where a fall can be very serious. I bring this up because some of the posters mention dizziness. Ordinarily a simple water pill can help absorb excess water in middle ear but I suffer from kidney stones and can't take diuretics.bottom line you you see a neurologist specializing in vertigo. Very important.
I have this light-headed/dizziness feeling for almost a year. Then recently, I felt a tender spot on the left backside of my scalp at the same level as the lower part of the earlobe. After massaging it a few times, the tenderness moved higher up to the upper ear lobe level. I applied more massages which and the tenderness went away. Now its on the right side at the upper earlobe level!

Have consulted ophthalmologist, ENT and neurologist. No one has answers for me!
I had this problem for several years (soreness in upper area on the back, LEFT side of my head). I also suffered from sudden hair loss on the crown of my head that would not grow back no matter what I tried, and no matter which doctor I visited (dermatologist, neurologist, endocrinologist, etc.). I've had numerous tests done, including an MRI, which all came back normal. I've been put on various painkillers and antibiotics that didn't resolve the pain or soreness.

Lo and behold, just this year, I FINALLY found relief! I went to the dentist to get a tooth treated that had been giving me problems from time to time over the years. I'm embarrassed to say that I wasn't taking care of my teeth and cavities because I didn't have dental insurance. Well, one tooth broke and put me in complete agony, and I couldn't avoid the dentist any longer...I needed root canal treatment on a lower tooth on the RIGHT side of my mouth. After the first session to remove the pulp, infection, etc., the throbbing pain and soreness on the left side of my head/scalp went away immediately and has not returned. (I know, strange, right?) The dentist explained that antibiotics do not kill infection that's inside the tooth. The infection or the tooth must be removed or the infection will remain until treated and cause constant mild inflammation, hence, the pain and hair loss. Wow, who knew?

Anyway, about a month or so after seeing the dentist, I'm happy to report that I can see little fuzzy hairs growing on my crown now. I'm hoping this is a sign that my hair will grow back fully. I hope my story helps someone. God bless!
What you wrote matches me 100%. Did you ever find out anything?
I have read most of the earlier posts and replies.   I have the very same conditions described.  The only thing that no one else mentioned is that I went through chemo for lung cancer, lost my hair at the end of the chemo, and it has grown back.  I have had this pain since.  The scalp pain started the day I started to notice my hair falling out.  I am so grateful for success of my treatment and the return of my hair but the pain seems to be increasing.  I have said this to all oncology doctors and no one even looks at my head.  I am going to continue to pursue an answer and help.
I suffer excruciating migraines.. all the symptoms, sore spots on scalp, the works.. coming from a family of severe migraine suffers, i was aware early on, the best hope of relief for the cervical related migraines was butalbitol/acetaminophen/caffeine/codeine (aspirin can also be substituted for acetaminophen.. suffixes- 'nol' for aspirin, 'cet' for acetaminophen. When i finally found a dr who understood this one worked *(he knew before i found him) I got my life back. .
I'm trying to find ANYTHING on the internet about the same type of problem! There are two bony ridges on the back of my head, just behind my ears. There is a spot on my left ridge probably the size of a quarter that feels like a horriable bruise. I didn't hvae surgery or bump my head, I don't have a sinus problem, I don't have a headache or a history of migraines, just this one spot that is SO sore and it's been there for about 3 weeks. I can't take it anymore and I really can't find an answer to what this sore spot is! Usually, a common sore muscle would only last about a week so I'm not sure if it's even that? I wish someone could help :(
I just had these symptoms recently. Very sore spot on back of my head especially when I lie down or touch it. I tried everything. I did not hit my head. I did have the flu and threw up a few times but that was the only slight possibility I could come up with. I decided to go see my chiropractor since nothing else worked and he said that I had a cranial fault and my atlas was out. He said that stress, sleeping positions, I moved some furniture and maybe even the flu may have contributed. Some people are more prone to these shifts. In just a few minutes he was able to gentle put everything where it was supposed to go. He said that having this for a few weeks in this position probably caused inflammation which is why it hurt so much to touch the area or lie down  with the pressure. Oh btw I go to a special type of chiropractor. I am not sure if a regular one knows about this specialization. You could call Chance Chiropractic in Gainesville Florida and ask if there is a specialist in your area. I hope that this helps.  
Just an observation....I notice that a great many of these posts are from women rather than men.  Has anyone looked into the practice of using hair dyes and/or bleaches, and whether or not these chemical products could be the source of scalp-related issues?  Again, just a thought.
For the past year I've had soreness at the crown of my head.  Hurts to the touch.  This started almost immediately after stopping Effexor, an antidepressant that I was on for many years.  Besides all the other scary and hurtful effects of stopping this drug, my head hurt.  I have to believe that it was related somehow.  Maybe caused by stress dealing with my other symptoms, or directly related.  Have short hair and haven't noticed any change in texture, etc.  Mentioned to my primary care doctor, but he didn't see too worried.  Ah well...
Thank you for your response.  What you describe is what I have and it helps to know that it is not serious.  I will try the ice packs.  

Marisela
Sometimes it feels like you're falling apart when so many symptoms happen at the same time.  After reading all these posts it seems like a lot of different things cause this sensitive and or sore spots on the scalp.  I have both and they come and go.  Sometimes just massaging the scalp with my own hands helps.  This time I have also developed sensitive skin on the left side of my face.  The comments about back and neck problems ring true because I lifted something and hurt my back which moved up to neck problems and then the scalp thing along with feeling a little off balance and fatigued.  I feel like these things come in cycles.  Also I feel it affects my mood.  But did my mood cause it or did this cause my down mood.
Wendy woo,

I'm so sorry to be frank but your full of ****. Your obviously not suffering from anything that causes you pain day in and day out. You need to check your self before you reply to people who are in constant pain because you can rub them the wrong way. You obviously are the PSYCHO ONE, because you come on these daily chats to kick people while they are down, so next time maybe you should check yourself before your write ******** post to suffering people.

HOPE YOU REALIZE WHAT AN *** YOU ARE!!

Mary
Seeing your post almost a year later, but my symptoms are exactly the same. Have you gotten any ideas or solutions for your pain?
Hi Guys (and Girls)

I am currently suffering from the same thing. I'm not sure whether its somehow related to the flu which I don't seem to be quite over, or something else.
I also seem to recall having something similar last year when I first started coming down with suspected CFS/ME.
The 'tender spot' eventually resolved itself on its own.
I have noticed that it tends to hurt more when I prod around the area. As others have described, it feels like someone is pulling my hair.
I have also had what feel to be small cluster headaches migrating around the back of my skull. This one feels different though. It's more of a burning/pulling/bruised sensation. Very hard to describe.

Oh, and to the person who suggested that all this might be psychosomatic, please pull your head in.
Lyme was once 'psychosomatic'. MS was once 'psychosomatic'. Seizures were once 'psychosomatic'. Science has a lot of catching up to do.
I had a constant headache for 5 years that no drug could help and western doctors said i would just have forever. I saw an acupuncturist which actually helped for a little while but then he sent me to an herbalist and within 2 months of taking an herbal medicinal tea my headache was gone and has been gone for almost a year now!!! I hope you try it and experience the relief I have found!
Blessed be the lord all mighty ive been suffering with this for someok a quite a while how embarrasses and deppres i had become over this extreme hairlos and scalp pain head ache and so on and on and on  timewent by  probably making it worse sufferd with tooth pain for a while no money to go to the dendiist bust spend my last lil  pennies and dimes for some hair joo lo and behold i doin so much better hair and scap are returning to normal i felt such relief wash over me after i read this post Oh how the lord works in mysterious ways
Hi, do you know by any chance what the tea was called or what was in it? I have had this for almost an entire year and I actually took fluconazole for a yeast infection i felt coming on a few days ago. Next morning no headache. Morning after no headache. I thought maybe i had toxic levels of candida in my bloodstream. Nope, headache back today :(
well done ! thank you for your time , reading this article has been a relief as I have spent a year trying to find the answers, I have cervical disc disease/osteoarthritis/
degenerative disc disease/gout/ three lower back protruding discs/ two slightly damaged neck discs/ painful helix ear lobes/ painful head points / painful ends of ribs/  and muscles locked up so tight my sports massager says they feel like bone.
The medics give you stronger pain relief medication and tell you to exercise of which i do . They dont tell you anything else. thank god for the net and you people.
some days i'm so tired i can hardly speak. i love my job in engineering but it is getting harder . i'm only 47 female.health weight. and eat well. if some one give us a task we try our utmost to solve it , i wish the medics would treat us the same. has anyone tried this new antibiotic treatment for a year test ? all the best to you all . cant type sorry !
I have gotten these for years. I suffer from a whole variety of symptoms and deal with fatigue like you wouldn't believe but I will say to everyone the one thing I noticed that keeps the scalp pain away is stop using shampoo and use only unscented Dial soap. The white antibacterial kind to shampoo your hair. Nothing else. If you need conditioner use it only on ends and only all natural kind with no sulfates! Try it and see what happens!
If I were you I'd be heading off to the doctor. Especially if you keep vomiting or if the pain gets worse.
Cheers
Thank you! Ive only had this sore scalp thing for a few days and I know I need a root canal. I have a tooth that reacts to both cold and hot and feels "dead".  I'm in Asia, but plan to get it done when I get back to the US in a couple weeks. I guess I could have it done here in Taiwan if needed.
I really think you are right because my life has been so full of stress lately and the more upset I get the worst I have the little sore tender spots. They hurt so bad. I can't even pull my hair up when I have them.
Did you find out what your pain was? I have had this twice now and it goes away on its own. I suspect mine has to do with sinuses, since i've always had sinus problems. Either that, or i slept funny and did something to a nerve. Anyway, thank you all for your great posts. I am not going to worry about my symptoms. By the way, it's a sore spot, no headache, tender to the touch and no other symptoms or reactions. I eat clean and exercise daily. I don't drink or eat much sugar or fake sugar. I don't get migraines. and it is not in my head, rather ON it! (haha) that's a nod to the remark about it being psychosomatic. yeah, sure.
I have the same problem. Massaging with pressure using a couple of fingers at that spot or spots can alleviate the headache. It also helps to find similar spots on jaw and neck and perform the same massage  
I have a similar pain wth hypothyroidism.. Is it possible for the over dose of eltroxin?
WOW~ people like me....I am having the sore place right ear level down to neck:most noticeable in the last week. At the 2 ridge area spoken of by a post from last year. I am so relieved to find you all and to have faith that it may not be a tumor or worse. I had a ruptured aneurysm at 39yrs (now i'm 67yrs) and somehow lived and continued to work as a flt attendant. I do have a ruptured disc in my lower back and sometimes I am in terrible pain akin to 'putting your back out'....now to my neck>for  the past 2 months I have been to the masseuse and chiropractor twice weekly. Nothing has helped with the neck popping and neck discomfort. Btw>the neck sounds are so loud that other people hear it!! I have been in extreme stress for 5 yrs since my beloved husband was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer. He died in my arms this Valentine's eve 2015.
I take anti inflammation~pain pills and chamomile tea constantly..The pain/inflammation pills help. Oh>I am prone to migraines and once had to be hospitalized. I'm on lyrica and cymbalta.  And I no longer sleep on my right side as it hurts quite a bit.  I am going to demand an MRI ASAP this week! I will stay in touch and add anything I think could help.     Bless ya'll! Carrie
You all need to look into seeing a Chiro which specialises in C-Spine!! Also eat all natural foods NOTHING packaged. Try that and see improvement quite quickly!
Wow...you hit the nail on the head, so to say. :o
Get these horrible sore spots that do always hit in the same place, but also get those ones where the hair is pulled back. Of course, I'm a mess and trying to survive. Too much to mention that is wrong with me.  
Noticed that ever since, I was hit on the head back in '95 that my head gets these golf ball size, like a goose-egg up there.
Sound like I got that cephalgia stuff.
I also have the tender sore spot on the back left side of my head.  After reading through so many of the comments on this same subject, I find it very strange that a lot of us all say that it's in the same area.  Mine comes and goes but is always in that same spot.  Mine hurts even if I don't touch it but because it hurts I rub it often.  It feels like the after effect of being hit with something and being severly bruised.  I've never talked to my doctor about it.  I wouldn't want to even begin going through a bunch of tests.
I suspected it was an offshoot of my migraines. I have full aural rare, but stomach more often. But this odd  head thing started about a year after my head injury induced migraines (my luck I was one of few in family that had not inherited the problem..but got it anyway). I have cut my hair very short for relief bit it made no difference really . Though  pony tails and buns make it worse. My only relief is nearly to perforate the pulse points on my scalp with my nails. Pressure  from spot to spot like my old chiropractor used to do but I use the sharp ends of my fingernails. About 5 minutes of  moving along spots will make the skin almost shriek with crawling sensation but then it will dull out and fade. I don't like my head/hair messed with usually or water in my face pre-accident because of my Asperger's.  My mom and middle son  and his cousin are now only  close kin migraine free. I am sure it is triggered by sitting at laptop long periods (thou strong sunlight  also can aggravate it, flourescing lite and monitors  are bigger triggers)
I too just recently started having this sore tender spot on the top of my head no headache so to speak just the tender spot. Feels good when I rub it. And now have also been feeling a bit of back aches too. Could they be associated. The scalp thing though is starting to freak me out. So strange, it is tender with a slight burning sensation at times like sun burn I suppose. But it comes and goes. What can it be???
I'm having the same soreness on the left back side of my scalp for the past few days. Feels like a bruise and only really hurts when I touch it or lay my head down.
I have many of the symptoms above and I spend all day at a computer.  I was actually thinking before I read these comments that the two things were connected (eye stress from looking at a computer all day and these weird sore spots on my scalp).
that is what exactly has been happening to me for about 10 days now!
psychosomatic for all these hundreds of people complaining about the same thing?? maybe stress related, yes, but psychosomatic?
Dear TamTam,

My wife has a very similar problem, and I hope that the severe head/scalp pain will be resolved, its been > 1 year that she has had the pain on one side. Was your tooth pain on the same LEFT side ? She has left-sided head pain and right side tooth is infected.
I've been having the exact same symptoms as everyone. Sore spots on left side of head for several months, now its become tender, headaches just started and my eyes hurt very bad as well. However I do have 2 infected teeth, 1 tooth is on the bottom right side and the other is on the top left side.
It's been five days now, the same spot on my head has been hurting. Feels like my hair let go from a tight pony tail, it feels better when I massage it. Hard to explain the pain. It can also feel like a brain freeze but more on the outside of the head in that same spot. I've been feeling exhausted and thirsty (my throats has been extra dry lately). Anyone else can relate?
I have a spot on top of my head that is sore to the touch,no headache,just sore on top.This comes and goes.Today I woke up again with the sore spot.its in the area of the head that babies have a soft spot,weird.
TO ALL:
IF you put Organic Coconut Oil on the sore area, it will go away for a little while and it really does HELP!!!

I put it on my sore spot, on the top where I was in an accident back years ago and it does go away for the next bath. :)
Hope this helps guys!! God Bless... ^_^
I am also having same problem i think it is due to imbalance of neurotransmitter in our brain . Doctor has given me antidepressant called nitromer it blocks the heavy passing of neurons from our nerves and reducing pressure on it therby we do not fell any swelling or sore from inside even we had previous felling while touch