Nutrition Management For Pets Forum

dogs best place for blood sample to test glouse level

What is the best place on my lab to get blood sample for meter?
Hi Ginny,
Congratulations for taking on the task of being a part of your diabetic dog's health maintenance team.  There are several places on your dog's body where you can easily access a blood supply.  I will often recommend that my clients ***** the small vessels are the edge of the ear margin.  

Please contact your veterinarian regarding how often he/she wants you to obtain readings.  Some people check the sugar level in the urine with simple to use dip sticks.   It is not as accurate as the blood test, but it is a heck of a lot easier for repeated spot checks.

I hope that helps...
Dr. Bernadine
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet