Pain Management Community

Anyone else get good relief with Celebrex?

I have had a long road of back pain / meds / surgery / injections etc.  you back pain suffers know the drill.  This summer I had the facet injections and blocks in order to see if I was a candidate for RF Rhizotomy.  It was determined by two specialists I was.  

Before diving into another invasive procedure, I visited a pain management doctor.  ONE of the many things we did was try Celebrex.  Now I was very skeptical as it had done nothing prior to surgery.  But once my spondy was fixed I though - let's try it again.  

I have to happily report that this NSAID really did work.  So much so I was able to lay off the Vicodin and/or Norco as a supplement to "stay ahead of the pain".  Now I've even reduced from two times a day to one in the morning and - while I still do have low back and facet pain - it is very tolerable!!  NSAIDs are not without problems, and hence the lowest dose, but I am pretty darned impressed with Celebrex and my arthritic facet joints.  

I wonder who else has also had good luck with Celebrex.  Clearly I can't wait for it to go generic because Big Pharma is making a killing at $220 a month for an NSAID.  But that said, I'm enjoying the decreased inflammation.  
I am really glad to hear you have found something that works on your pain as well as the Celebrax. I have taken it but with my stomach ulcers it was causing me more harm than good. I was taking the Bextra for a period of time and it worked well until they took it off the market. Nsaids are really great for pain and swelling if you do not have gastronomical problems. I did well on the Bextra and was switched to Celebrax but as I said it was not for me with the stomach ulcers.
Celebrax offers coupons. Here is a site for one I found.....
http://www.patientassistance.com/D1016-celebrex-coupon.html

I hope this helps some:)
Thank you for sharing your good luck with a NSAID. You're right they do come with some concerning side effects. When one has pain we weight the pros with the cons of medication. Most of us do what you have done, take the medication. I am glad that it has been effective for you.

My sister, also a nurse, uses Celebrex daily. She was informed several years ago that she should have a TKR. She is just 49 and has chose to put off the surgery for as long as medically possible. The Celebrex keeps her maintain her activity level and the pain tolerable, without it she cannot make it through her supervisory shift. She takes no other pain medication, so yes it has been very effective for her also.

Again thank you for sharing. I wish you the best.
Jim my brother uses Celebrex and he has a lot of success with it. I myself took Vioxx for 4 year for fibromyalgia and had tremendous success until it was taken off the market. I can't take Celebrex because I think it has sulfa in it and I am allergic.  It has been known to have serious side affects however again some people do very well on it.  I wish I could try it.  
What is RZ Rhizotomy?  I've had 7 back and cervical surgeries so I am well aware of what that pain is like. I take narcotics for the pain and would love another alternative.  My doctor recently prescribed for me Voltaren in topical form so I wouldn't have to add another pill. It too is an anti-inflammatory. I wouldn't be able to use it instead of the narcotics but it does help when the pain is really bad.  Good luck!!!!!
I was on Celebrex for a short time, but, although it was helping my severe arthritis pain, I had to be taken off of it because it was raising my blood pressure to a dangerous level (160/105).  Apparently this can be a side effect of all types of NSAID's so have been told I have to be VERY careful about taking any of them.
Yes, NSAIDS AND PAIN can both increase BP!  

Voltaren is diclofenac an NSAID that has been around a while.  comes in patches and may help.  I tried the diclofenac patches right on the spine (over the affected facets) for a short while.  I then stopped to 'test' results with the Celebrex only.  I am happy enought with Celebrex only I decided not to add another NSAID to the mix.  

RF Rhizotomy is a procedure similar to a nerve block but they actually use RF frequency radio waves to "Burn" the medial branch of the facet nerve in order to destroy it and thus stop pain transmission.  Can help from 2 months to 2 years and may have to be repeated.  It is fairly invasive and of course, like everything else with back pain, has mixed results.  

I was headed there when I gave the celebrex another try.  My facets are pretty arthritic and I may need this one day, but with back pain you do what you can that will control pain, and "wait out the science" to see what improvements come along next year.  I know if things get worse I can always Rhizotomize those nerves.  

Thanks for everyone's opinion and story.  Chronic Pain will really affect you - so let's do our best to keep a positive attitude!  
Dr Humphries,

Your input has been so valuable. You've discussed some important factors.

Keeping a positive attitude can be difficult when you suffer with chronic pain but it is so very important. As you know depression can go hand in hand with chronic pain. It can creep up on us without warning. It's important to maintain as much activity as possible, keep that positive attitude and treat ourselves well.

Hypertension was a problem for me until my CP was controlled. Untreated pain had my B/P averaging 180/110. Once the pain was recognized by a physician and was managed I no longer had to take a hypertensive agent. Now only a nasty flare will elevated it and than I must take the medication again.

Among other things I too have facet disease. I am sorry that you have to experience the pain that often accompanies it.

We hope you will drop by our Forum again.