Do these pills decrease the effectiveness of my birth control?

I have PCOS which I am taking Metformin and an antidepressant (Citalopram) for. I am also taking vitamin D for a deficiency. Do any of these medications decrease the effectiveness of my birth control pill (Zarah)?
None of those effect BCPs. Now if you were to take an antibiotic, yes it would lower the effectiveness of your BCPs.
No, these will not interact with your BCP. As mentioned by ssuddarth, some antibiotics (most notably penicillins and tetracyclines) can decrease the effectiveness. Also, some anti-seizure medicines (sometimes also used for moods and/or migraines) can interact - so be sure to ask your pharmacist anytime you get new medicines. :0)

You are reading content posted in the Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community