Radiology Community
534 Members

Worried about too many CT scans!

Should I be worried about too many Cat Scans. I have head, abdomen and pelvis along with chest cat scans. In total its about 8 now over the course of 10 years. I am worried about what this could cause in the future as i read radiation could cause cancer in latter years. Should I be worried about this? Can i do anything to reverse the damage this has caused?
Every X-ray or CT scan you have had, slightly increases your chance of developing cancer.
Therefore a doctor always needs to act responsibly and outweigh the benefits and the risks.

The risk increase is not big from 8 CT scans. I.e. if you are a female of 35 years your risk of getting cancer somewhere in your life increases from 37,5% to about 38%.
You can calculate for yourself on : http://www.xrayrisk.com/calculator/calculator-normal-studies.php

No, you can not reverse the eventual damage that is done from previous scans.