Aa
A
A
A
Close
Radiology Community
534 Members

Worried about too many CT scans!

Should I be worried about too many Cat Scans. I have head, abdomen and pelvis along with chest cat scans. In total its about 8 now over the course of 10 years. I am worried about what this could cause in the future as i read radiation could cause cancer in latter years. Should I be worried about this? Can i do anything to reverse the damage this has caused?
1 Responses
11548417 tn?1506084164
Every X-ray or CT scan you have had, slightly increases your chance of developing cancer.
Therefore a doctor always needs to act responsibly and outweigh the benefits and the risks.

The risk increase is not big from 8 CT scans. I.e. if you are a female of 35 years your risk of getting cancer somewhere in your life increases from 37,5% to about 38%.
You can calculate for yourself on : http://www.xrayrisk.com/calculator/calculator-normal-studies.php

No, you can not reverse the eventual damage that is done from previous scans.

Have an Answer?
Top General Health Answerers
11548417 tn?1506084164
Netherlands
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.