Respiratory Disorders Community

Allergies/Asthma/Migraines...

Hi- I am 16 years old, and I've been having a lot of health problems lately. I am thin, and used to be in good shape (since the worse health problems started, I excerise minimumally). The doctors cannot really find out what is wrong.

Since I was 7 or 8 I've gotten migraines and headaches. At 12 they got a little worse. At 14/15 all I would do is sleep to get relief. I've been diagnosed with chronic daily headaches and migraines. Also, when we moved (two years ago this November) The headaches got tons worse, though that may have been due to stress from switching schools. But, then I started having problems breathing. There were times when I could hardly get up the stairs without wheezing. After a couple months of that, my doctor sent me for an ECHO, to a neurologist, and to an allergist.

We always knew I had allergies, but didn't know to what. (My allergies also got worse when we moved). The ECHO was normal. All blood work I've had came back normal. I had an MRI of my head, that was normal. The allergist told me I was allergic to trees, cats, dust, and grass. I've been getting weekly allergy shots since Feburary. The allergist also told me I have mild asthma. My primary doctor calls it reactive airway disease.

I've been on a crazy amount of medicine for allergies, asthma, and migraines. Nothing has helped too much. Symbicort helped me be able to get up stairs and advair helped me to be able go for walks without wheezing. I also have an albuterol inhaler for "as needed" cases. Allergies/asthma I have been on: symbicort, advair 100/50, albuterol (proventil), allegra-made me sick, claritan-found out causes migraines, zyrtec-didn't help, rhinocort-can't stand nose sprays (bloody noses too), patanase- same as rhinocort. I have stopped all (except albuterol for "as needed"). For the headaches/migraines I've tried Topamax (this was the first drug that seemed to help, but I lost over 25 pounds and had to come off). I've tried: amitripyline up to 50 mg at night(for depression/migraines), topamax 100 mg twice a day, actually I've tried pobably 20 different drugs, some for prevention and some for when I get migraines. None helped (except topamax which helped somewhat).

I seem to be doing a lot better with headaches/migraines, even with being off all meds (except albuterol). Also, the asthma symptoms have decreased somewhat. But some other weird things have been happening such as: waves of chest pain, nightmares, exhaustion, dizziness when standing up (my eyes will black out, it's scary, but it only happens for a minute),

Another thing, I don't feel like doing anything but sleeping. I used to be a really good student. I was homeschooled through 8th grade, but then I went to school 9th and 10th. I came back home for 11th and have been taking classes at a college. I hardly studied at all; my mom has been very mad. I barely past most of them, and the classes I'm doing at home I procrastinate and just overall don't want to do them. I don't want to hang out with friends anymore. I just like staying home. I don't know what to do... I'm sorry this question thing is so long. Please, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Danielle
One more thing: sometimes I get these extremely itchy rashes on my hands. My hands will swell up, throb, itch, and burn. It only lasts for about 10 minutes, but it's really annoying. It also only happens every couple of days. I'm trying to figure out if it happens after eating corn, because that seems to be the only thing that is possibly related.
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Is your area one of the dirtiest-air cities in the nation?
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.