Respiratory Disorders Community

RSV

I have more questions than answers to the death of my daughter back in 2000. She was my first born baby, she weighed 9lbs 6 1/2oz, and although I had to have a C-section due to my genetic bone disease, she was delivered only 4 days before my due date, on March 19, 1999, so she was full term. To make this long story as short as I can, we hired a state certified babysitter to watch her during the day while we worked. On April 4th of 2000 we went to pick her up and the babysitter left the room to go get her from a back bedroom. After approximately 5 minutes, I looked over at my boyfriend (the biological father), and I whispered, "What is taking so long?" A few moments later, the babysitter walked up the hallway and stood at the doorway of the living room with my baby limp and blue in her arms, and all she said was that she found her face down in her pillow. She proceeded to lay my baby down on one of her couches, and she went and sat on the other one. By this time, my boyfriend and I were already hysterical and I remember screaming at the top of my lungs and falling on my knees to the floor. I knew it was already too late by that time. My boyfriend grabbed her phone and dialed 911 and only a fire truck and ambulance responded, no police. I rode in the ambulance, and after all the family arrived, the doctor finally came in the room and gave us the worst news that we will ever hear our entire lives, "She's gone." I remember looking up at him and begging him to tell me that he had done everything he could, and he finally told me he did. At that moment, I fell to my knees again. I could not fathom, for the life of me, why my daughter was alive one day, and deceased the next. There was nothing wrong with her, such as sickness, disease, etc. She was perfectly healthy! In the end, after begging the coroner to figure out what went wrong, and after enlightening him with the problems we had had with that sitter, and our suspicions with her, he basically told us she kept the same story, and that everything checked out fine in the autopsy, except that they found RSV on her brain. By the way, the police never contacted us, and to our knowledge, never questioned the sitter. I was never given my daughter's actual time of death, either. When the hospital pronounced her dead is what is on her death certificate.

My questions are, how could they NOT be able to give me a more accurate time of death, and can you find RSV on the brain (nowhere else), and every other part of the body checks out fine, and that be enough to say that's what it was? Honestly, I don't know if anyone that even answers these questions could make me feel better because it was a very long time ago and I don't feel like anybody took us seriously then, or would take us seriously now. I have found peace knowing she's in Heaven, I just wish there would have been a more serious investigation done on her death, after all, this did happen at a caregiver's house. You would think that would be enough for an ongoing investigation in itself.

Thank you for your time in reading this. Please tell me what you can about this situation, and any advice you may have for letting this go and accepting what was found.
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament and sympathize with you. It could be a rare case, as RSV as the name implies usually affects the lungs. But the hypoxia due to the lung infection caused by RSV can consequently affect the brain. It is difficult to comment beyond this.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Is your area one of the dirtiest-air cities in the nation?
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.