Respiratory Disorders Community

What treatment has been effective for your cough?

The treatment for an acute and chronic cough will depend largely on its severity and underlying cause.Acute CoughThe treatment of an acute cough is directed primarily at decreasing the cough in addition to treating the underlying cause. Symptomatic cough relief can be provided by over-the-counter or prescription cough suppressants or cough syrups.Severe coughs or coughs that interfere with sleep may need remedies that include narcotic medications. If these are prescribed, avoid alcohol, driving, and operating any heavy machinery while using the medicine.If a bacterial infection is suspected the doctor will often prescribe antibiotics. People suspected of having a viral infection will not benefit from antibiotics, and will receive treatments directed at their symptoms only.Elderly people, people with severe bacterial or viral infections, and people with weakened immune systems may require admission to the hospital to manage the underlying problem.The treatment of a chronic cough will also be directed at treating the underlying condition. It is important to recognize that treatment may be difficult, may employ multiple approaches, and may not completely eliminate the cough.If the patient has a cough caused by smoking, allergies, or environmental irritants, elimination of the offending substance will help. It may take several weeks for the doctor to assess the response to this approach because of the length of time required to repair damage to the lungs and air passages from the offending agent.If the patient has a lung disease, ongoing therapy to treat the condition may be needed. Therapies used will depend largely on the type of disease. Multiple treatments are often used at the same time to help reduce symptoms. Careful adherence with the treatment will be critical to help slow the progression of any disease and to reduce symptoms.In cases where home therapy fails and symptoms worsen, the patient may need hospitalization so that additional or more intensive therapies may be attempted. If the patient's cough is suspected to be caused by a medication, improvement usually occurs when the medication is stopped though the cough may take up to a few weeks to resolve. Another medication may be needed to replace the one the patient stopped taking. Talk to your doctor before stopping any prescribed medication.If the patient is suspected of having a cough caused by GERD, treatment is needed to reduce the amount of acid reflux from the stomach. This is typically done with diet changes and medication. Successful treatment may take time, and multiple therapies may be needed.
For my cough, I take vinegar and honey; one tablespoon of each at bedtime.
dry cough now moist cough and sweating
Can you get an acute cough in a wind in a hot climate?  We have just returned from a week in Egypt and my mother in law has had a cough for the entire week.  She is convinced it was the breeze from the sea.
I have been coughing since February. I was feeling like there is a lot of mucus on my throat and I was unable to push it through the nose. I believe it is post nosal drip chroni and reproductive cough. Normally I don't cought at night regardless of the position I lay down. The moment I stand up I I cough sometimes frequently. I still feel the mucus is the cause and when I cough frequently, I feel chest pains. Sometimes I don't cought for three days but still I feel and swallow the mucus on my throat. What sort of treatment I need to take to stop the mucus from my lungs/throat?
i been coughing for 2 month my symptom is itching in my trought i went to the doctor they said i don't have nothing so i don't know what to do
This is good article. I have also seen good article on phdguy website.
everday cough is very regular I am consuta so meny doctors
Medicine alone won't get rid of a cough. Wear a silk scarf to keep the throat warm especially at night when the temperature drops. It has to be a silk scarf as it is thin enough to stop you getting hot as it is a breathable material. The purpose is to keep the neck warm so therefore the cold air won't trigger you to cough as much. This way your glands get a chance to heal as they are inflamed and sore. Every time you cough they are irritated. So less coughing equals better healing results. This is useful for anyone, any age. This has helped me any my 2 year old son. Nothing worse than listening to him coughing especially at night.
vick's vapo rub on chest/back, or simply on soles of feet covered by socks at bedtime
My partner has had 3 different lots of antibiotics over the last 3 weeks, and his cough (cream colored phlegm only) is still frighteningly loud and very frequent, to the extent that it still interrupts most of our conversations. I understand that this is a symptom of the current winter cough infection, but am worried that by now it does not appear to have eased in any way at all.
Especially in winter time keep upper part body warm and keep air temperature in room warm. Drink warm water, makes it easy to cough up the phlegm. I use Ventolin 2 puffs PRN.
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Is your area one of the dirtiest-air cities in the nation?
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.