STDs / STIs Community

HIV Scare?

Hello, all -

I'm a 33 year old, recently out of the closet gay man.  I totally crushed on the first man I dated (I guess that's not unusual).  After several weeks of dating, we had anal sex (he received).  As I was inserting, the condom broke.  I immediately withdrew and put on another, which seemed to do the rest of the job just fine :).

Just a few weeks later, the relationship ended.  We never discussed his HIV status, but, in hindsight, there are many things that make me suspicious.

While I realize that HIV can't be diagnosed by symptoms, I've still had suspicious things happening: a few nights of unexplained fever are the most obvious.  

The condom incident was 10 weeks ago.  I went in about 3 weeks ago to get tested, and the clinic worker fairly adamantly refused the test, because it hadn't yet been 3 months since my exposure.

The anxiety of the wait on the window period is killing me.  Concentrating at work is virtually impossible.  Having fun with friends is even difficult.

So, my questions:

1.  Suppose that the other man was HIV positive.  What are the chances that I am now also infected, given the extremely brief exposure so early in intercourse?

2.  Is it worth going to another clinic now (at 10 weeks) and getting a test?  Would the results of that slightly-early screening mean anything at all?  Obviously, if I test negative, I would probably need to do it again after 13 weeks, but I'm dieing for even a little peace of mind here.

3.  Am I completely insane for freaking out about it this much?  Do sexually active gay men just get used to living in this kind of uncertainty without letting the anxiety rule them?

Thanks in advance for your responses!
Please post this in the HIV forum.

As for other STDs. you were protected but the condom broke so you were at risk, You need full STD tested

Chlamydia, gono 7 days post exposure
HSV- 4 month
Syphilis- 6-8 weeks
HIV - 3months
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.