Aa
A
A
A
Close
STDs / STIs Community
39.3k Members

antibodies

I recently had a blood test for STD's and came back positive for HSV2. I have never had any outbreaks or symptoms. I was due to get my regular pap smear a week after receiving the news, so my doctor said he was going to run a culture on a sample he scraped during the pap smear. That came back negative. He said that means that I don't have the virus, just the antibodies. What does that mean? Could I still possibly have HSV2 and could I pass it to a partner? Could that mean that I have a lower chance of contracting it if I don't have it?
1 Responses
1331558 tn?1317687687
Please post this in the Herpes Community. However, it depends on what HSV test you took. There are two: IGG and IGM. Most individuals here would definitely tell you that the IGM is a waste of money but the IGG test is reliable. If the culture the doctor took from you tested negative, then, the result may be a false positive or test may have been taken from an IGM test.
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.