A
A
A
Close
Stroke Community
3.21k Members
532476 tn?1214520784

after stroke symptons

I had a sroke 10 years ago Age 42. My outer left corotid artery completely shutdown. I suffered some paralysis on my left side. I had surgery on my outer corotid, which was unsuccessful. They then placed a stent in my left inner corotid. This is how the blood supply is getting to my brain or so they say. My paralysis is mostly gone. My problem is I work in IT and it is very technical. I now have difficulty learning new things and remembering what I have read. Since there are no visible physical signs, everybody thinks I'm fine. Any ideas on how I can convey to my management that these problems exist? Also how long will the stent last? I was told to come back if I had any symptoms. What symptons should I be looking for? I'm afraid my sympton may be another stroke

Thanks
1 Responses
Hi,
The FAST test is an easy way to recognise and remember the signs of stroke or a TIA. Using the FAST test involves asking three simple questions. If you have  a problem with any of these functions, dial triple zero (000) for an ambulance immediately.
FAST stands for:
Facial weakness – can the person smile; have their mouth or eyes drooped?
Arm weakness – can the person raise both arms?
Speech difficulty – can the person speak clearly and understand what you say?
Time to act – act FAST and call 000 immediately.
If you suddenly experience any of these symptoms, get to a hospital immediately. Remember, stroke is a life-threatening emergency.
The warning signs or symptoms of stroke may occur alone or in combination. They may last a few seconds or up to 24 hours, and then disappear. These signs are mini-strokes and should not be ignored. They indicate a hidden problem with blood flow, which could trigger a stroke.
ref:http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Stroke_signs_and_symptoms?Open

Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
1780921 tn?1499305393
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease