Stroke Community

new concern

My mother is 78 years old and suffered a mild stroke about a year ago, which resulted in some memory loss and no peripheral vision on her left side.  She does not remember recipes, some vacations taken and some of her friends names.  Currently she seems to have gotten worse with her memory.  She does not remember if she has eaten, or if I have stopped by to see her during the week.  My biggest concern is when we are sitting and talking, she mentioned things like, working at a company, which I know is not true and visiting a family members at the hospital, which again was not true.   I would like to know if this is because of the initial stroke or is something else going on, which should be addressed.  

How is your mother? A stroke results to loss of brain functions due to a disturbance in the blood vessels supplying blood to the brain. It can affect patients physically, mentally, emotionally, or a combination of the three. This varies depending on the size and location of the lesion. Sometimes, if the cerebral cortex is involved,it can also can produce visual defect, memory deficits and even disorganized thinking, confusion, hypersexual gestures.  You can read more about this through this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stroke#Subtypes

Take care and regards.