Aa
A
A
A
Close
Stroke Community
3.22k Members

stroke recovery

My father recently suffered a right brain stroke. I have noticed the drooping in his mouth does seem to be getting better, and he does have some movement in his left leg. So far we have not seen any movement in his left arm, although he says he has been able to move hs fingers a few times if he really concentrates. Is there any hope that he will regain use of his arm?
1 Responses
445232 tn?1233649564
Hi

Sorry to hear about your dad :(

I too had a right side stroke, left side paralysed, 16 months ago.

Generally speaking arms are slower to come back than legs.  When you think about it, the arm does much more complex work than the leg.  It is possible, depending on the location & severity of the stroke and also how much effort he puts into it.  To get the arm moving again requires the developmernt of lots of new pathways - is lots of tiring work.  I have always found it far more tiring working on my arm than my leg - brain dead sort of tiring, just wanting to close my eyes & shut eveything out.

You don't say when he had his stroke, please remember that stroke recovery is a long slow process - so a couple of months (if that's the case) is really early on.  Please tell him to keep up the hard work.

HTH

Sue
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease