Aa
A
A
A
Close
Thyroid Cancer Community
344 Members

Suspicious Thyroid US and Metaplastic Hurthle cells

I had a hoarse voice for 2 months and could feel something on the left when I swallowed. Cough or pressure to catch breath when lying prone if pressure just right. Palpable nodule on left. US said Dominant complex ill-defined nodule. FNA said moderately cellular with cytologically bland follicular epithelial cells in small clusters and groups. Scattered groups of metaplastic Hurthle cells present. Moderate watery colloid. No diagnostic features of classic papillary thyroid carcinoma are seen; a repetitive microfollicular pattern is not present. PCP just sent me an email saying "Benign thyroid nodule Cytology diagnosis is consistent with the imaging findings" She gave me no recommendations to follow up at all. I am confused since my understanding was that my US findings were highly suspicious for cancer and Hurthle cells are linked with a variant follicular cancer. Any thoughts?
0 Responses
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.