Thyroid Disorders Community

Hypothyrodism decreases intelligence?

I'd read/heard around that being hypothyroid means a decrease in your intelligence. True or not? Will it be permanent?
Thyroid hormone is essential for normal brain development. Cretinism (old term for a state of mental and physical retardation) occurs if neonatal (infant) hypothyroidism is untreated.

In adults, hypothyroidism does not leave permanent structural brain defects. But from experience, untreated hypothyroid gives a good impression of lower IQ. My particular symptoms of note in that regard: slow speech, dull facial expression, cognitive dysfunction.