Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

Scared of new thyroid problem

Hi!  I was just diagnosed with a thyroid problem and would welcome any advice.  The numbers the DR provided are TSH level at 10.81 and T4 level at 1.1. Oh not sure if it matters but I am 40 years old and have an iodine allergy. I have been on 25MCG of levothyroxine for almost a week now.  I have no idea how bad the numbers are. From everything I have read I have all the major symptoms of a Thyroid disorder.  I will say I lost about 90lbs 3 years ago and over the last 6 or so months I have put back on about 10lbs.  I have never been a fan of excersize and lost the weight by a low fat low calorie diet.  I was eating about 1400 calories a day max. I am down to just under 1000 and still gained the weight.  That and the symptoms are why my Dr ordered the tests in the first place.  Thanks in advance for the advice!  
COMMUNITY LEADER
The condition you have is called hypothyroidism and it's a very common condition.  Since you're on a very small dosage of medication and have only been on it for a week, it's unlikely that you'll feel much relief from symptoms yet, as it takes 4-6 weeks for the med to reach full potential in your blood.  

What symptoms do you have, other than the 10 lbs of weight gain?  

Do you have a copy of the actual blood test report?  Was the T4 test a Free T4 or was it a Total T4?  They aren't the same tests and don't provide the same information.  If you have a copy of the report, please provide the reference range, since ranges vary lab to lab and have to come from your own report.  

When are you supposed to go back to have your levels retested?  Typically, levels are retested after 6 weeks, and dosage is adjusted as needed to alleviate symptoms, according to blood work.

You should also ask your doctor to test thyroid antibodies to determine if you have Hashimoto's.  The tests you need are Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies (TPOab) and Thyroglobulin Antibodies (TgAb).  You need them both, as they are both markers for Hashimoto's and without both tests, you could be misdiagnosed.

You may need other tests, as well.