Thyroid Disorders Community

Why can't I feel better?

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism at the age of 7.  My mother had noticed that I was not growing and that I was having trouble in school especially in reading comprehension.  After visiting a doctor, I was given human growth hormone and synthroid.  I started growing again and continued growth hormone until I reached puberty.  In elementary school I was having trouble controlling my behavior.  I couldn't still in class, was disruptive, and had a short attention span.  Could I have been alternating from being hyperthyroid to hypothyroid?   At 22 years old I stopped taking my synthroid due to financial problems.  I wasn't aware of the multiple functions thyroid has on your body and was only informed that if I stopped taking my synthroid I would feel tired.  But there were far more problems I started to experience, such as loss of muscle and weight, fatigue, nervousness, and depression.  I noticed my hair stopped growing and I was becoming more and more anti-social with friends, co-workers, and family.  Eventually I nearly lost everything from relationships with close friends and family to the rest of the world.  I had no social life anymore and I began to drink by myself.  After thoughts of suicide came into my mind, I decided I needed to find out what was happening to me.  I started seeing a family doctor, a  phsychiatrist and eventually an endocronologist.  The endocronologist was shocked after I told him I stopped taking my medication.  He quickly put me back on it and took dozens of blood tests, which I haven't received yet.  After synthroid now for a week and a half I haven't noticed any changes in my physical and mental health.  Does it take a while for my body to adjust to or do I need alernative treatment.  What do I need to know and due to feel better and grow in life.
Any thyroid medications take time to show improvement,  it takes time for your body to adjust, Endo's wait 6 weeks between blood work-ups and dosage changes, I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's in early Sept. of 08, I started on 25 mg levothyroxine and then went to 75 then 100, my TSH was still 6.  He then put me on Synthoid and the last time it was 0.78 so he lowered it to 88 Mg, now I have to go back for another blood workup this week. It might be a good idea to post your lab results here, because there are a lot of folks here that are more up on these than I am, I know the symptoms can be pretty rough, Mental and physical, I have been on a roller coaster for a while, but I have gotten some good info here on how to handle some of the symtoms (muscle aches etc)
I don't think the drinking is going to do you any good and will just make things worse. I hope things improve for you and good luck. FTB4