Urology Community

Adult Male Kidney Reflux

Had surgery about a year ago on my left ureter. They did a reimplantation and removed the valve that prevents the urine from backflowing from the bladder to the kidney in order to remove the part of my ureter that was dilated.

Long story short, after the surgery I had little bits of kidney reflux pain (what I was told it was) on my left side. A few months ago the pain started getting worse with no relief. I was drinking a lot of water and not urinating very much. A month ago, my right kidney, which up until this point in my life was working 100% fine starting hurting which i'm attributing to the reflux as well.

At this point i'm in pain all the time and much worse off than I was before the surgery. I always feel bloated, I drink a  lot of water and when I do urinate it is still dark, and then I feel like my kidneys are incredibly full and expanding. When that happens I try not to drink so they don't explode. I feel like i'm always thirsty because of this and can never really drink like I used to. Pretty much all I do after work is lay down. Life is not what I was expecting after the surgery.

My doctor recommended a catheter to help with the drainage when it is painful. I'm wondering if anyone has an idea what else I could do? Is there medication that would help? Flomax? Ditropan? I had a renal scan but my doctor is out of the office for two more weeks so we haven't gone over the results. Any help is appreciated. It gets worse by the day and i'm not exactly sure what to do. I know that i'm drinking more water every day than I'm urinating, and that is probably why the pain is getting worse, so i'm worried that there is a limit where something bad will happen.