Urology Community

Is it possible to inadvertently "train" your bladder to be overactive?

33 year old male here.

For the last couple months I've been urinating frequently, in relatively small volumes, with no other symptoms. Luckily I had a physical (including blood tests) coming up, and what was found was:

- Normal kidney function
- No STIs or other infection
- No diabetes
- No prostate enlargement

Everything else turned out normal aside from high cholesterol.

Prior to that I was in the ER for abdominal pain (which turned out to have a benign cause). Ultrasounds didn't detect abnormalities in my kidneys or bladder (or other organs), though I imagine they wouldn't detect every possible problem.

But after all this, it occurred to me that while at work I was going to the washroom frequently as an excuse to get away from my desk and the noise around me. While there, I would urinate a bit even if I felt only the faintest urge.
So if I'm now feeling the urge more frequently, could I have accidentally "trained" my bladder to be more active? Is it a bad practice to go even when you don't feel much of an urge? Or is there a possibility there really could be a medical issue behind this?
Edit: I'll note that there may be a family history of overactive bladders, though as far as I know it's only affected females
Yes it is possible to train your bladder functions especially if you go to the bathroom on a schedule. Your brain and bladder will get used to it if you tend to go at the same time for a long period of time.

Overactive bladder is not voluntary. If bladder muscles become too active, you may feel a strong urge to go to the bathroom when you have little urine in your bladder. This is urge incontinence or overactive bladder. There are other causes of incontinence, such as prostate problems and nerve damage. Treatment depends on the type of problem you have and what best fits your lifestyle. It may include simple exercises, medicines, special devices or procedures prescribed by your doctor, or surgery.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.