Urology Community

Kidney stones - Carbonate Apatite

My mother got operated for kidney stones in January 2010 and just within 2 months, same kind of stones rebuilt which is quite surprising and shocking for all of us.

Stone Analysis report says that composition of stones is
Carbonate Apatite (100%).
Further detailed distribution is like this
Calcium Oxalate & Phosphate (70%)
Magnesium Ammonium Phosphate -Struvite (15-20%)
Uric Acid (5-10%)
Cystine (1%)
Others (1%)
as per Robbins and Cotran Pathlogic Basis for Disease, 7th Edition

Now doctor says that as the stone has rebuilt (of 2 cm as of now on left pelvis), she has to undergo operation again but he cannot gurantee that even after the operation the stones will not develop. According to him, stones of this type (Carbonate Apatite) are rare and doesnt have any remedy. He can only suggest antibitics and syrup that needs to be taken continuously over a year atleast, but he is not very sure that will surely work or not and can prevent stones to build again in the near future.

I hope you can understand, undergoing operations so often is not a permanent solution to the problem. Can you please provide some inputs based on your experience that can help my mother to get rid of this problem & feel better.

I will be very thankful to you for your advice.

Yours Sincerely
KS