Urology Community

Non-Obstructing stones or invisible ureteral stone?

I'm a 23 year old female and have been dealing with constant kidney stones for the past 2 1/2 years. In June of 2013, I took a trip to the ER due to excruciating side pain. A CT scan revealed a 6mm stone was beginning to drop into my ureter. They sent me home with pain meds and told me (nonchalantly) to go to a different hospital if it gets worse due to their hospital lacking an on-call Urologist. So, two weeks go by and I can't handle the pain once again, so we go to the "other" hospital and am told that I "probably passed the stone" because it wasn't visible on their CT scan. I go home, thinking I'm a nut job at this point, and deal with the pain. A month later, the pain is back but ten times worse, so I went back to the original ER and the CT scan showed the 6mm is still there, only it moved further down and is lodged in the junction before it drops into the bladder.

I finally call a Urologist and he sends me for an updated CT (August) at a completely different hospital. The stone didn't show up on their scan once again, so he ordered an IVP x-ray. I get it done after being rushed to the ER after an allergic reaction to the contrast. The stone is there and I have a laproscopic (sp?) procedure done to blast it. I'm told my kidneys are both free of stones and I go on about my business. In November of 2013, I thought I was passing another stone due to upper abdominal spasms that I get when passing one. I ended up having to have my gallbladder removed the following week and I found out BOTH of my kidneys are filled with stones again! I was just in the ER last week for horrendous side pain that I've been having for the past 3 months. A CT scan revealed non-obstructing 1mm in my left kidney and a 3mm in my right, but no ureteral stones. I guess my question is, am I going crazy or could there be a stone lodged in there that the CT didn't pick up once again?

Right now I have no insurance and am waiting to get on SSI for other health issues. My Urologist refuses to see me unless I can pay for another IVP. Everyone just thinks I'm a drug-seeker when I just want to find out what's causing me this much pain if I have "non-obstructing" stones.
Stones can recur in kidneys. Potassium citrate is used for the treatment of stones. I would suggest you to get an evaluation done from a urologist to determine the type of stone. Treatment modes include Extracorporeal Shock Wave Lithrotripsy (ESWL), uteroscopic stone removal and percutaneoud nephrolithotomy but it depends on the size of the stone.

If the size of the stone is small, it’s usually treated with ESWL in which shock waves are given from outside and stone breaks into small pieces. On the other hand, if the stone is quite big, then the surgical removal of the stone is a better option.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.