Urology Community

kidney concern

What can I do if my urine is a light yellow and what can I do if I had a kidney stone?  It was due to a build up of calcium, how can I prevent it
ann1970939,

Light yellow urine sounds pretty normal to me. Healthy urine can range from near clear, pale yellow, to medium yellow.  The darker the yellow, usually the more dehydrated you are. For example, urine is usually darker in your 1st morning pee because you have not drunk anything all night. Certain foods can even play a hand in the color of your urine i.e. beets.  
If your urine is dark brown, (coca-cola colored) or even tinged pink/red...then, I would check with your urologist.

I have kidney stones in both kidneys. In addition, I have already passed 18 in my lifetime. I am 30. Mine are calcium stones too. Unfortunately, once you have the stone there is not a whole lot you can do. A) Pass the stone naturally B.) Have a procedure to remove it.

If it is a calcium stone, the best thing you can do is make sure you drink plenty of fluids on a daily basis. Keep your urine diluted so crystals are less likely to form. Water, of course, is the best choice.

There are some medicines to help prevent the formation of stones, but these are not 100%. Moreover, the side effects were not always desirable.

I wish there was a magic cure, but some people are “stone formers” – I am one of them. I will probably always form stones. HOWEVER, I notice in the seasons I keep myself hydrated, I form less stones, and they are smaller.

Good luck.
If the color of the urine is light yellow, it is normal. there is nothing to worry about. Drink plenty of fluids and water everyday. Kidney stones are of four types: calcium oxalate stones, struvite stones, uric acid stones or cystine stones. Potassium citrate is used for the treatment of stones. Treatment modes include oral medicines, Extracorporeal Shock Wave Lithrotripsy (ESWL), uteroscopic stone removal and percutaneous nephrolithotomy. Please discuss these treatment options with your urologist. Also take less calcium and oxalate rich foods and supplements like dairy products, colas, chocolate, peanuts, leafy vegetables, and tea.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.