MedHelp.org will cease operations on May 31, 2024. It has been our pleasure to join you on your health journey for the past 30 years. For more info, click here.
Avatar universal

Could I have endometriosis?

I've been having pelvic pain before and after my period. I also feel nauseous and have been dealing with a sore  hip. Ive had tingling/pressure in my leg for years/ the same side as my sore hip. My leg feels worse around my period. I had an ultrasound and pelvic exam a few years ago and everything came back normal. My periods are regular. My doctor at the time said that I might have endometriosis and wanted to know if I wanted to have surgery to check. She recommended birth control for the pelvic pain but  I never took birth control. im planning to make a appt soon. Do my symptoms sound like endometriosis?
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Avatar universal
It sounds like it could also be pelvic congestion syndrome which is vascular. See an interventional radiologist as they specialize in diagnosing and treating pelvic congestion syndrome. Don’t rely on a gynecologist to help with that. Definitely have the laparoscopic procedure done as it’s very possible you could have endo and I had it myself and didn’t know for 17 years.
Also find a urogynecologist and start pelvic floor therapy as you have pelvic floor dysfunction and pain and it will greatly help improve pain and symptoms.
Helpful - 0
973741 tn?1342342773
Hi.  Well, it certainly could be.  Sorry you are having the discomfort.  Being a woman is hard!  I do think that birth control solves a lot of monthly issues like the cramping, moodiness, etc.  So, that may be something you want to revisit.  Here's some information about it https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/endometriosis/symptoms-causes/syc-20354656  Since your doctor didn't diagnose you but said it was a possibility and you are still having issues and it is worse, it would make sense to find out if you really have it.  I would.  I don't think you'd actually need surgery to have it diagnosed.  They do ultrasounds now and MRI's that can give a good idea.  So, talk about the ways they diagnose with your doctor.  I can see wanting to avoid surgery.  How old are you by the way?
Helpful - 0
Im 31. My leg issue has been going for a while and no one knows why I have this issue. im supposed to have an mri on my back but I'm pretty sure my issue is because of my pelvic pain and that I might have endometriosis.

My doctor at the time said i had to have surgery to check..didn't mention an MRI. I did have an ultrasound 2 years ago and they didn't see anything.
Generally speaking, endometriosis is found by the kind of surgery where they put a fiber-optic tube into a tiny incision near your navel, and take a look. It can be tiny little dots on the tissues, not big scar-tissue looking things that might be seen with imaging. If the doc proposes doing a laparoscopy to look and see if you have it, I sure wouldn't hesitate, you've been dealing with this issue long enough.
Well this was 2 years ago and my ob/gyn is no longer at the office I go to. I'm supposed to get a new ob/gyn so maybe my new doctor will have a different opinion. My old doc just said that I could have it and if I wanted to check I would need surgery but asked did I want to use birth control for the pain. I never tried the BC so I'm not sure if it will help my symptoms

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health Community

Popular Resources
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.