muscle spasms under breast in ribs

I have muscle spasm in or around the ribs on both sides (in the front under the breast and sometimes in the back at the same horizontal position), it feels like a ball rolling, in that it switches sides. It occurs even at night during sleep, painful enough to wake me.  I only know that when I relax and stretch (the side where the knot is) using several positions I have to wait till it goes away, in many cases to have it return in other places described above. What does it mean, how do I treat it.  I have high blood pressure and the meds deplete my potassium so I take a prescription supplement for that.  What should I be asking my doctor.
Wow what a nice fealing to read that im not crazy I was 13 when it started with a cramp spasm under my left brest it started with that if fealt like my heart whas spining put of controll and it hurt like crazy now that im 36 the pain is cramping hard and the pain goes up to my neck. I have heard everything from acidreflux to im just pretending My husband called the ambulance for me once too since the pain was so bad and i was shaking al over the pain disaperd at the hospital butt still i dont know what this is =( butt atleast i know im not alone
That happens to me. Last night I had one bending over it pet my dog...It was so bad that today my chest hurts..I wish I knew why. I didn't notice it til I quit smoking and add a few pounds but I was always thin so the little bit of weight I gained was really nothing. My Dr says its ok...Someday we will find out why.
I will try to remember my calcium!!
I have similar pains and it keeps me from doing what I should do everyday sometimes I lay still or just turn and then the pain is back doc says it will go away but I can't stand the pain anymore it makes me panic because I'm scared I never had anything like this and pain meds don't work
May i ask if you feel any better now? Did it go away? It scares me when i have this and i just hope it will go
I have been having these spasms also and was told to take some Magnesium supplements. I was also informed that we have farmed all the magnesium out of the soil for decades and the result of this inproper farming is now starting to show up in our products along with all our over processing that big business does. Muscles need magnesium for contraction and so do nerves so give it a try. It there is a shortage it can also cause irregular heart beats, which is also a muscle.
Hi, I have had this tightening of the chest under my breasts for several years. Doctors cannot pinpoint the problem.
I used ot think that my bra was too tight. I almost never wear one, only a cami, because it makes the tightening worse.
Recently, I have had charlie horses when bending over. I smoked for many years, and at first thought it was my lungs.
But hearing your comments, I think we all have the same thing.
I am a little overweight now and trying to lose the belly fat in hopes this will help.
Lying down is the best position to stop the tightening.
Hope this helps.
I continue to see doctors for help.
Connie S.
I have had the same thing for about 5 or 6 years now. If I turn the slightest the wrong way it starts in my left side and radiates under my left breast. It feels like tightening and very painful. It doesn't last long if I stretch. Have no idea what is causing it.
This response may contain graphic content.
Please or to view.
Wow u described exactly what I go thru, I too have been going thru this for some time and no doctor seems to know what it is. I pray that someone would find out what it is.
Has anyone found out the cause for this pain? I'm 60 years old have high blood pressure and am hypothyroid, on meds for both. This pain is getting so bad I am afraid to move anymore. Just putting things away in cabinets can cause it for me.
I also get this.  I have off and on for several years.  It seems its worse the heavier I am, so I wonder if it has something to do with the stomach muscles.  It is very painful, and seems to come a different times and intervals depending on you position.  It takes at least 5 minutes to go away, and I try to stretch it out by bring arms up above my head and bending the opposite way from the side that's clenching.  I am back on my diet so hoping it will recede once I have lost a few lbs.
I cant believe the amount of people that suffer from this.  I did look up costochondritis symptoms.  It does not seem to be related.  
Please or to view.
I have also suffered with this for 10 years and call it my 'flippy' thing LOL.  That's what it feels like - I just have to turn or twist a certain way, and this pain rolls in sharply under my right breast, under my ribcage, it feels like something 'catches'. Lasts probably less than a minute, I just have to sort of be still and then I feel something 'flip' or slide somewhere and I'm good to go. I had lung surgery 10 years ago and had 2/3 of my right lung removed and it never happened prior to that. The doctors I have mentioned it to, never really had a clue nor seemed concerned. I recently gained 40 pounds and it seems to be happening more frequently again.  So glad to see I'm not the only one with this mystery flippy thing.  
I have the exact same thing.  It actually feels like a muscle is rolling over my rib cage and when it rolls back into place, the pain is gone!
I have also suffered with this for 10 years and call it a 'flippy' thing (lol) like flippytummy above.  That's what it feels like - I just have to turn or twist a certain way, and the pain rolls in sharply under my right breast. Lasts probably less than a minute, I just have to sort of be still and then I feel something 'flip' or contract and I'm good to go. I had lung cancer 10 years ago and had 2/3 of my right lung removed - it never happened prior to that, however, my remaining lung has inflated and filled the space of my lung so that part shouldn't have anything to do with it. The doctors I have mentioned it to never really had a clue nor seemed concerned. It can happen every day, or I can go months or even a year without it happening.  I recently gained 40 pounds and it seems to be happening more frequently again. For clarity:  The symptoms are quick, sharp unexpected stab of pain under my right breast, behind my ribs, like something catching or pinching inside of me, followed by the sensation of something flipping or contracting and the pain is gone- never long lasting if I just stop doing what I'm doing and stay still. I wish we could figure out what it is but at least I have company!  I also put on my FB page just an fyi -- and probably a dozen people responded, mainly women, with the same issue.
Please or to view.
I have been having these muscle cramps for the last 5 years under my breasts and also in my lower stomach.  It happens if I turn the wrong way, or even bend to pick something up. I have even gotten them in my sleep.  They hurt like crazy but quickly subside if I change position.
I also get cramps in my feet  A  LOT  and wonder if this is all connected.  I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and was better for a while when I first started medication but the spasms are back. I have also just been diagnosed with Lyme disease ( lucky me) but these spasms I believe started before the lyme.   I would love to know what is causing this and how to stop it.  
I had the same thing, the first time it happened I thought I was having a heart attack. I ask my doctor who didn't really give me a satisfactory answer. It got worse & happened more often. Then one day when I was at my chiropractors I was laying down getting work done & she asked me to sit up & of course I got the spasm. She told me it was a rib spasm & even though it was at the front she felt down my back side of my rib cage & found a tender spot which I didn't know was sore until she pressed it. She explained that the muscle between the ribs were tight & where the tender spot was she pressed her nuckle  between the ribs & keep it there to stretch the muscle. It hurt but it was instant relief, I immediately felt better, I can do it myself if it starts to feel niggly or I will get my daughter to do it, I hope this helps everyone as it made a huge difference to my life.
Please or to view.
Hi, I too have had similar symptoms to what others have described for five years. While i still don't know for sure what i have, my gp suggested it could be asthma as it will cause tightness of chest and spasms from the inflammation. Not having insurance for years i never got to a specialist, but eventually will thanks to the new healthcare plan. While i think some of you have strained muscles and costochronditis is interesting you might not want to rule out it could be your lungs. I get spasms under my right breast and sometimes just feel breathless from it. It's like a drawing pulling sensation like something is stuck in there. Even wearing bras drives me mad and i'm not big in that area. I've heard the buteyko breath excercise is good for this and i'm going to try it out soon, you might want to try it out and see if it helps you, there's one drug free therapy to try. Hope this helps. Good luck to you all.
I think your right because my mom has it and so do I my mother was in the hospital and that is what they are giving her and she said she does not get any pain any more thank you because these feelings could be very scarey and it even feels like it goes near my belly button any one elese I was being to think I have a hernia
I have had this my whole life - but get it only when I am trying to put on hose or socks or something in a tight cramped-up position. I am 60 and work out almost every day. I have never had high blood pressure. The only way I can get any relief is to stretch back and upward till it lessens but I will still feel residual soreness there for days afterwards. It is such a small area but boy does it hurt! I take ibuprofen for the muscle soreness. Until I found this forum I never knew anybody else experienced this problem!
Hi.  I am amazed to see lots of other people have this.  It does feel like something gets "caught".  I get it if I lean down sidewards or scrunch myself up sidewards - I think always on the right, but not sure.  And then, yes, there's a pain, a kind of knot feeling under my ribs (like one's gone on top of another) and then gradually, as I press on it, they "undo" again.  It's sore afterwards.  It only lasts probably 10-20 seconds, and once, it came back again about a minute later.  I find it frightening and I live in fear of making that sudden movement.  I only get it maybe once a year - for the past 10+ years.  I also had twins, and a cesarean, and now I am wondering whether I did ever get it before I had them, and I don't think so.  Would just love to know best thing to do when it happens and that it's not dangerous (if it's not!).
Wow! I am so glad I found this page, everything you say I feel but mine lasts longer and I get them way to often , 2 0r 3 times a week I hate it and I end up crying because I dont know how to prevent it, I have gone to the doctor and to be honest they never really understood what I was saying, I guess it was because I used to compare the tightening of it to a hard ball and that it dint matter wether I tried to strech it was going to deflate when it had too, I know I dont make sence but reading your post I can now explain my self better tyvm..
I have the same thing and the doctors just blow it off.  How do we find out what it is and if there is something we can do about it?  I've been up crying in the night because they were so bad and wouldn't go away.  
Same here... I know for sure it is a mechanical problem.  I like to say it feels like a muscle or ligament is rolling over my upper rib cage and it really hurts until it rolls back.  I can feel immediate relief when that happens and I can also feel it roll back into place!  I am very sure it is a mechanical problems..
Hi I feel exactlt what you described and its a scary feeling, im glad I can finally put a name to it..
what is the name for it?  I'm in good health but these spasms are horrible and frequent
Thanks for the tip.  Just took  The A D K vitamin supplement ..  Don't know why I had stopped it.  Everyone thinks I am nuts when having a spasm.  
I was recently rushed to the hospital via ambulance. I thought that I was having a heart attack but after a stress test , chest x-ray and other test that was not the case. I do have high blood pressure and when my side use to hurt my husband would always tell me to drink some water . I did it would subside then one day the pain got worse and I returned to the emergency room that time they gave me torodal not sure if I spelled that correctly .  The torodal made the pain go away immediately. However, I am still in pain so thanks to the ladies that shared the helpful suggestions. I did notice when I exercise and do my sides I start to have the pain all over again. Please let me know if anybody have any more thoughts thanks
It sounds like you have what I have.. it is a mechanical problem.  When you have your muscle or ligament roll over your rib cage, it hurts.. when it rolls back, the pain goes away..
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
I would like to suggest to all who have complained of these muscle cramps/spasms that you try taking a magnesium supplement.  Preferably one that is in powdered form, added to water and then drunk.  A friend of mine suggested that I take a magnesium supplement when I complained to her of my legs suddenly cramping for no reason.  I, too, have had the same terrible under the breast (always the right breast) pain.  I believe taking magnesium helps immensely to stave off such pain. It certainly made my leg cramps stop altogether.

From "Pure Essence Labs" there is a powdered vitamin supplement called "Ionic Fizz."  I suppose you can find it online, although I purchase it at my local health food store. There's a calcium and a magnesium version, so be sure and get the magnesium one. Try drinking this supplement for 30 days and see if the pains don't go away completely.  Best of luck to all of you.  Those pains are no joke.

I would also like to suggest that anyone having such pains try to lose weight and definitely lower your intake of white flour and white sugar.  It's worth a try.
Also, lipitor or other statin drugs for cholesterol can cause leg cramps.
This is the exact area where I feel the pain..this occurs when I'm sitting on the toilet haha..it starts to concern me 'cause it's painful as if a small button is in there..it goes away when I straighten up but leaves me thinking there might be something starting to grow in there..so I come looking for answers..finding out i'm not alone..

2 months back I woke up and tried to prepare breakfast. I began to feel some little spasms under left breast and underneath ribs, but I continued to do my job. Later I saw that pain is going worse and It becomes hard for me to take breath. I took and gave breath hardly, later i felt that I don't feel good. I called my friend for help. When she came I felt that I am loosing my "energy". My hands went off, my eyes began to close. After she put me on bed few minutes later I began to feel good. I was told that maybe I my blood pressure fall. But why? I have never had such spasm or blood pressure fall. And two days back I was at balcony with pajamas (weather was cold) I felt spam again. It seemed like there is a beating heart under my hand. I thought that cold can affect it. But I am not sure. I also want to reveal what is it and take treatment.
Please or to view.
Probably a magnesium deficiency.  Get a blood test.
Please or to view.
Really. I've been trying to figure this out for 4 months . thank you. How is ALS diagnosed ?
Please or to view.
So many of us have this same problem.  I can't believe that doctors cannot find the source. I too experience the knots under my Brest and feet if I turn the wrong way. What do we all have in common? I believe it is the medicines that we take. I take Sinthroid for hyperthyroidism and metformin for diabetes. Could it be possible that most of you take these medicines too? I guess we all have to come together to find a common ground and hopefully discover what is causing this. Doctors will not tell us if it's a side effect of the meds they are pumping us. They have to peddle those meds. I do a lot of research and I've come to the conclusion that it's our meds.
Amp166700
This comment may contain graphic content.
Please or to view.
I want to know if anyone ever found out what causes this. I have it very often on both sides. I turn wrong or twist, stretch, take a deep breath or turn over in bed. When it first started, it actually felt like a baby stretching out into my ribcage. Now it is worse. It's hard to breathe when it happens so I basically freeze sometimes. Sometimes bending forward leaning on something helps but not always. Please did anyone find out why this happens?
Yes!!! That's is EXACTLY  what it feels like....a baby moving around in your ribs!!!!
GEEZE I really wish SOMEONE could help all of us out
i am 59 but have been have the spasms for several years, it feels like a baby moving and i can even see my right side poke out like a baby was kicking out. It hurts so bad and i seem to get it if i sit too long.
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
I also have diabetes and take Metformin and also have charlie horses Under my rib cages I floplike a fish and I scream in pain it hurts so so bad Ive been told to try magnesium I;m going to try it because my doctor said he can't find anything wrong
I have the same spasms but it also goes down to my right leg
I also have spasms my Dr. Started me on baclofen 4 times a day seem to work .I went on vacation forgot my pills n it stared again.
Please or to view.
I also have spasms under ribs and down my back.I find ice helps reduce the pain and stops spasms.also magnesium will help
I too currently suffer from this. My symptoms are exactly as you've described yours! With no answers. I'm currently having th3se issues as I hold my breath to type trying to find answers. Glad I'm not the only one who deals with this. Medical professionals have no clue I was told in the past that it's pleuracy. And now recently they look at me as if it's all in my head.
Please or to view.
I get these catches under my ribs that radiate to the back. The only thing that helps me is drinking of salt water immediately. I get this catch usually when I strain in the washroom or randomly when I twist or reach for something. I have always been prone to muscle cramps, but these started only last year after I started taking Nexium for my acid reflux and Barrett’s Esophagus problem. Now I seem to be stuck with this cramping condition even though I don’t take any Proton Pump Inhibitors anymore. I am beginning to think this is linked to low acid and sodium in the body as that’s what I feel has reduced in my diet since I stopped eating pickles and acidic foods due to my acid reflux. Some people recommend pickle juice for cramps. Which would make sense if we are missing sodium and acid.
When I read this 2 things come to mind... A slipped rib, in which case you will feel popping or crackles in your ribs, usually on one side. This is actually the cartilage popping and not the ribs themselves. It will also cause an ache in the side, along with abdominal pains.  Slipping a rib is not common but can happen.

2nd would be Acid Reflux. This can easily cause most of what you're feeling. This diagnosis would result in you being put on antacid daily.