granulomatous mastitis Community
302 Members

Breast feeding after surgery

Dear All - i had surgery about 18 months ago to remove the lump in my right breast due to GM, it has been fine by and large, although it took a long time for the incision to heal. Now am expecting another child, and would like to breast feed if i can.

Question to you all - do you know if it is okay to breast feed? is it going to bring back the mastitis? at this point, i don't even know if my right breast is going to function, but just want to see if i should explore breast feeding as an option.

THANKS!
Hi hope! It IS possible to breastfeed. I was diagnosed with GM last year and have since had 5 surgeries on my left breast ( all of which took a very long time to heal and one of which is still open). However, I gave birth to a healthy baby girl in February and have been breastfeeding her since. Because of all the surgeries I was not able to feed from that side-the milk came in but I have severed ducts so it didn't express. I successfully feed her on one side and its going very well-so it IS possible and is a great option. Everyone is different so you may even be able to feed from both sides which would be wonderful. I don't think it causes the mastitis to be any worse. the only time mine was any better was during pregnancy and breastfeeding doesn't seem to affect it! Hope this helps and good luck:)
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.
How eating more salt may actually save your life.