Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Say NO to bottle

I stare at bottle of Vicodin. I say NO I won't take anymore and this has to last til I see dr for appointment. I've stayed strong, stared at bottle its like its trying to tell me "take me more" I say NO!!!! If I do that then I'll go insane going through WDs. I don't think so. Ive stayed strong and kept bottle away from me. I'll take it when I need it - I plan to take just 1 or 2 a day until dr appt which is on 17th. I have several left. I *refused* to take all of them. I kept saying NO NO NO NO when my mind try to tell me to take more of them. I say NO! Boy, how tough was that, huh? I know I won't be able to get more if I use all up. So, nope!! I can wait tomorrow to take 1 or 2 then next day 1 or 2... to last til I see dr. I hope I will keep it up to stay strong and not let it beat me!!! Instead what I do, I take 1 vic with 1 mortin 800mg...that'll be good enough. I'm proud of myself to stay strong and say NO, not let it beat me!!!
11 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Once again I agree here too. Your points are very well taken. Like I said in a post above, I may have read wrong into what you were stating. I just know, that what works for one may not work for another. I personally like to taper, but this is only b/c I am too afraid to let go. I don't want to suffer the **** that goes with detoxing...being a single mother I hate to be in that boat with my kids seeing it. But here, again that is my fault. I did this, I need to get out of it.

So I commend you for your speaking up and giving the advice/opinion that we sometimes really need to hear, even if it sounds tough, and even if we do not like to hear it. But that is the whole reality of this situation we have gotten into. We need to just stop, it has to come down to letting it go, and no return.

Your being in recovery, and being around recovered addicts and seeing first hand how it all can be, is probably the best treatment someone can get first hand. Again, I understand and agree we do need to hear the "hard" stuff now and again, it's called tough love, and what you say is very true..can't get more real than that.

Us as addicts do need to hear it this way at times. But here again, not everyone will agree and there is always a defense we put up as the addict. Like I did in my responses to you. But I truly do get what you are saying, my other post was rather rude and of course is the addict talking.  I can only hope to get that burst of strength and be able to leave it all behind me. And be able to live the life I had before Vics, and give to my kids what they deserve. I pray I am around long enough to do so.

Again, thank you for the reality check. It really does hit home.

Helpful - 0
I have been involved in recovery for a long time and I am surrounded by women in recovery who have 20 years or so clean each.  I sponsor addicts.  Guess what-when you give an addict the advice that they should go one more day using you are giving them a death wish.  I have seen more people than I would like to say die from this disease and to tell any addict that your best advice is to control something they cannot control by nature and to go ahead and taper down when one more use may be your last is irresponsible.  I have learned that i may sound negative, but the truth helps people and the sugar-talk can kill someone.  
Helpful - 0
You know, I have read only a few of your posts and it seems to me as if you just do not care for the "tapering" method. Not everyone can do c/t...people are here for support not to be told what they are doing is just setting themselves up for failure.
Not everyone ends up that way. It's just really not polite to be so negative to people struggling and trying new things to overcome their addiction. Trial and error, again everyone is different.

Just my 2 cents.
Helpful - 0
If you keep a bottle of pills and try to control using them then you are torturing yourself every single day.  what is the point?
Helpful - 0
Wow, I'm so proud of you... I don't know if I would be that strong.  I'm so weak, I have to have hubby hide them and give me one in the morning and one at nite.  You are such a strong person to actually not have taken them all.  You are awesome.  Tomorrow is a new day and I hope everyone has a  wonderful and restful nite, Luvs, Lil. :)
Helpful - 0
177036 tn?1192286635
Do not do it!!!!!!!!!!!!
Helpful - 0
Great idea (skull & crossbones). When I was first fighting my alcoholism., I promised myself before I drank anything, I'd first pour myself a glass of bleach and consider drinking it. of course, I wouldn't, but it got me to remember that alcohol is pure poison to me, and I wouldn't drink poison, would I?

--AThena
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
take a sharpie and draw a big skull and crossbones on it... to remind you its poison..
Helpful - 0
177003 tn?1266270355
You have every reason to be proud of yourself. It's amazing how much of an enemy pill bottles can be. You sound very positive and I have faith in you. You'll make it!!

Hugs...LS
Helpful - 0
boy have i have i  been in your shoes.....
so many times.... that and tapering off. finally i had to go to a methadone clinic.  But those pills just be callin you.  I feel your pain, hurt and strength.  RBC3
Helpful - 0
Good Lord those amber bottles can talk, can't they?! I totally relate. The obsession/compulsion aspect of this disease is nearly debilitating at times.

Hang in there.

XO

--Athena
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.