Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Getting mixed advice...confused and scared

Hi Friends,
   As you know I am battling a legal xanax addiction. The thing is, I'm quitting (or trying to) because I want to, not because I'm being forced to. I truly do have PTSD and panic disorder, so I'm cerainly NOT obtaining drugs under false pretense. And I never abuse or refill early...quite the contrary. Some doctors and pharmacists are asking me why I want off, and I guess the best answer is I feel my strength and stamina will return if I ever succeed at getting off this devil drug. Keep in mind that I had an eye stabbed out in 1989 and developed problems some years after that. It was devastating.
   Either way I have made alot of progress in reducing dose. Getting off the remainder, if I can, may take a year or 2.And I have a bad reaction to SSRIs and antidepressants (they greatly increase my suicidal ideation). So the bottom line is I just don't know what to do and quite frankly am scared to death. Any advice?  Thanks and God Bless,   Steve
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I work at a drug and alcohol abuse treatment center, the same one that I went to for treatment a little over a year and a half ago. I have been clean and sober for that entire time, and I can tell you that PTSD was a HUGE part of my problem. We were able to incorporate some programs and treatments that saved my life. You may look this up in your area, as it has been extremely successful here in South FL. The first one is Hypnotherapy, which changes behavioral patterns. It can help with attitudes, anxiety, stress related illness, personal development and social problems. The second is EMDR (eye movement desensitization and reprocessing). This changes the way your brain thinks about trauma. This is used for war veterans, rape victims, and people who's puppy may have died when they were younger.(for anyone with any kind of trauma). It is a permanent trauma resolution. Coupled together, these two treatments have saved a ton of lives in our treatment center, including mine. Good luck, hope this will help.
Helpful - 0
my depression and anxiety were removed completely with amino acids.(from health food store)

a book called,

the mood cure, by, julia ross.

is where i learned about them,

400% more effective than pharmacutical ssris.

good book, get it.
Helpful - 0
177003 tn?1266270355
Years ago I had to w/d from valium after 13 yrs of using it just the way the dr. prescribed it. It was horrible and I had to go to the hospital after not eating for three weeks, wouldn't answer the phone, wouldn't talk to anyone...etc. Kicking a benzo habit is very hard, but the good news is that they have come out w/ better and more effective ways of doing it now. In my case my dr. just told me to stop. No taper or anything.
I would do a very long slow taper right down to shaving the xanax. You can do it and your desire to get off the pills will help.

Keep posting....LS
Helpful - 0
i suffer from severe panic disorder, my friends think its just a little anxiety until they see my attacks.  I too, have been prescribed benzos for 2-3 yrs now.  I was on 2mg ativan a day, which worked better then xanax, then I became pregnant, and they switched me to xanax, which I take 1mg of a day.  Can anyone recommend how they are tapering?  This is one drug I csnt seem to drop my dose in.  Whenever I try it, my body freaks out
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.