Acne Community
Accutane Second Course

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Accutane Second Course

I went on a 5 month course of Accutane for the first time approximately 4 months ago. My face was completely cleared within 2 months of taking the drug - and my face was pretty bad. This lasted a few months (best months of my life). Unfortunately, my acne returned within 2 months of being off accutane. It's not quite as bad as it used to be - maybe 80% as bad as it was.
I recently inquired about going on accutane for a second course, however, my dermatologist (actually his assistant) told me that would be a terrible idea because accutane is much less efficient in its second course. By my third course, it would only be 20% efficient, and by the fourth, it would be useless. That being the case, I should reserve accutane for the possibility that my acne returns to 100% and again becomes scarring.
When she said this, I was shocked. I'd never heard that information before. For that matter, I can't find anything online that validates what she said. Is her information accurate? I desperately want to go back on the drug, so any advice or information that anyone could provide would be great.
Thank you!
You have received incorrect information.
One course of Accutane results in a long term remission from acne for 80% of patients. 20% of patients require a second course and of those 25% require a third course. I have taken Roaccutane (as it is called in the UK) twice because I relapsed the first time and had to go back on the treatments I was using before I tried Roaccutane. My skin is good (please see my photos in my profile) Eloise x