Acne Community
Accutane after Gastric Bypass

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Accutane after Gastric Bypass

I had gastric bypass surgery in February 2012 and am starting Accutane 20 mg as of today. I was wondering if I will malabsorb the Accutane since I've had the surgery? I have told my dermatologist of my surgery and she still wanted to start me at the 20 mg dosage.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? After oral administration of isotretinoin, the resulting  metabolites form in the plasma and eventually form into conjugates. Having a gastric bypass would not be a great problem in their absorption. It is best that you take the medicine as prescribed. Take care and do keep us posted.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thank you so much!