Acne Community
Cystic acne and 30

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Cystic acne and 30

I have had acne since I was a teenager. I am 30 and I still get very bad cystic ance around my chin and mouth. I am currently on minocycline 100mg and duac gel, tazorac and night. I have been on that system for a year and it doesn't really work. Doctor wants to check my hormones to see if that has anything to do with it. Any suggestions would really help. Thanks
Cystic acne plagues my family and gets about 50 per cent of us. In my case any sort of stimulation made it worse. And any sort of treatment made it worse. I had to keep the sun off my face. Not use antiseptics or astringents. Not use hot water on my face. Nor cold water. No soap. No facials. I spent years bathing my face in lukewarm water and patting it dry.

I am sure you must have scars. Forget the pills and topical junk. It won't help. Save your money. Go for dermabrasion. It works beautifully. I had it done when I was in my thirties. If your acne continues you can go for a second treatment in 10 years. My doctor did not do a chemical peel. He used sandpaper! And the result was nice, clear baby skin. No pain, by the way. Good luck. I feel for you.

By the way there is an old saying among doctors as to why they specialize in dermatology. "The patient never gets better, never gets worse, and never wakes you up at night."