Acne Community
Spirulina and Accutane

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Spirulina and Accutane

After 15 years of acne, I'm considering beginning an accutane regime. I understand that accutane is a derivative of vitamin A, and that you should not take vitamin A whilst on it as it can cause toxicity. I do, however, take spirulina, which does contain vitamin A, so how much is too much?
Hi there!

Well, the advisable dose is largely related to the weight of the patient and the duration of the treatment i.e. cumulative dose. Initially one should begin with low dose treatments (10–20 mg/day). High dose treatment (0.5 mg/kg/day to 2 mg/kg/day) should be reserved when this is ineffective. The total treatment should not be continued beyond 6-9 months (Ideally a maximum of 4-6 months). Discontinue if any side effects occur. Spirulina does not have very high concentration of vitamin A and may not be discontinued.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!