Addiction: Social Community
Does weaning off of Norco/Vicodin work??

This community is where you can chat with other members about day-to-day issues and topics. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. If you have questions or are in need of support for substance abuse and addiction, please visit our Substance Abuse Addiction Community.

I am new to all of this, I took Vicodin for a while for knee surgeries.  4 in 3 years.  I am completely fine now, I mean that I have no pain.  However, I do have a 10-12 pill a day Norco habit.  I have convinced myself many times that I can wean myself off of the meds.  Does this work.  I am thinking about getting some more to try and wean myself off.  I had 4 Vicodin this morning @ 730 and I have had nothing else all day except Motrin.  It is now 450am and I have been awake since 2am.  I feel restless as hell, I can not relax.  I am scared.  I don't know if I can do this.  Can I wean myself, does cold turkey work better.  I have children to take care of, I go to school part time, I need to be available during the day.  Please help I am feeling so helpless and tired.  I am also on Wellbutrin for adult ADD.  However, it is not helping with the quitting of the painkillers.  Thank you for any help that you can offer.
You can taper off , but it takes alot of self control. There should be others that will reply with some good taper plans.  I am a cold turkey girl.  If you decide to go cold turkey. You will feel like you have a very bad flu for about 5 days. Keep reading and posting on this forum. We all have the same problem so you are not alone. We will be here to help you thorugh this.   Mary
Welcome! Tapering is possible if you have the self control to do it.
May I suggest you post this over on the Substance Abuse Forum.
This forum is much slower than the other one and is for general discussions. Near the top there is a link in blue.
I think that ct is the best route to take - but you are in a different situation. IF you have to be as resposible as you indicate you might want to investigate sub - I dont think much of the methadone route.
It usually doesn't work but it can. Once someone responsible doled me out weening doses of hydro pills and from what I remember it worked. The person has to be a good strong character and it was my mother.
I have been taking one to two norco/day since July for a rotator cuff tear. I went cold turkey back in October for four days, got a little sick, but nothing too intense (of course, I take an extremely low dose). This time I have tapered down to 1 per day and was contemplating cannibus. My brother said it worked wonders for him after he was hooked on Vics after shoulder surgery. Does anyone else have any thoughts or experiences on this?
I did a long taper, and looking back I wish I had just gone cold turkey.......it was a slow painful journey......got sick.  lost a lot of weight.  Tapering can be done, but like I said..in my experience, it just lessens the withdrawal, but it was miserable.  I wish now I had just suffered the week or so, rather than dragging in out for months.......It worked, but I wouldn't do it again.

Just depends on how bad you want it.

luv,
nauty.................
Ive been taking 40-60 miligrams of vicoden for about 6 months now and need to quit soon.  It costs too much and i dont get the same buzz as before.  I have 8 500's left and was going to take 2 a day for 4 days, will this lessen the withdrawl (withdrawal)?
does tramadol help with the norco withdrawl (withdrawal)...I have heard it can but not sure
I've been taking atleast 100 mgs of hydro every single day for over a year now. Today is the first day of cold turkey n so far its not going too well. I want so bad to just go get my usual 50 mg dose. The only thing stopping me is the proverbial intervention I faced yesterday with my fiance and my younger brother. The really put it all in perspective for me as I didn't realise how my habit was effecting my loved ones. Someone once told me"don't get started on those vicodins ur gonna regret it". He was right. If ur gonna quit then cold turkey is clearly the only way. Atleast for anyway...tapering never workd as I always wanted to get high instead of just getting my sick off. Good luck to all as I I know its hard but we can do this.
I would stay away from Tramadol. There are way too many members here that were addicted to that as well. Also, it seems to be far worse to get off of.
I would highly encourage you to post on the Substance Abuse Addiction Community.
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Addiction/wwwboard.html
You will get the answers needed over there. This side is for social things and less addict questions.
I am completely addicted to pain killers   i dont have the slightest idea what to do  1-20 a day is what i take.
I've been taking norcol for 10 years I take 10 to 12 per any suggestions on getting off these demons
Wow - me too - I was taking vicodin (norco) for years but went cold turkey 19 days ago today.  It took about 7 days to start feeling normal  restless leggs lasted about 4 to 5 days.  I took the thomas recipe - look it up and it helped trememdously.  The worst was the anxiety in my chest and the lack of sleep - sleep comes last - I am just now feeling I can sleep without anxiety.  I wish I could tell you it was easy - it is not - but it is worth it once you start feeling your new kind of normal.....the first few days all I could think of is how I was going to enjoy anything without the pills when in fact I was not enjoying anything with taking the pills - swtressing about where my next bottle would come from and feeling sicker and sicker between doses - I could not even sleep through the nite cause it was toolong between doses and I would wake up sick at about 3 AM and takes some.....long story short - there is light at the end of the tunnel if you just tell yourself you most likely won't die from ct but you might wish you would and it ends - it is not forever and you are much better off - have more money - have less stress - and happier in the long run - take care and good luck on your ct - let me know how you are doing.
Kitty Mom
I have stopped and relapsed several times.  That being said, stopping is something that I know how to do, at least for myself.  These are the steps that you have to commit to.  If you cant commit to them all, then you are not ready to quit.
1.  Resign yourself to the fact that life ***** without drugs, at least it does at first.  But it does get better with time.
2.  Commit yourself to the idea that you will never take another pill to get high again, just to relieve your symptoms.  THATS ALL!!!!!
3.  Be preparred for a long, gradual weening period.  Set a schedule and take the meds at exact intervals.
4.  Find a physically demanding hobby.  Running works for me because it naturally kicks in your opiod receptors.  Also, hot showers, immodium, tylenol(regular kind), water.
5.  Once you get down to 10-15 mgs a day, the side effects are minimal.  Be preparred for a few restless nights, but once you get down that low, it doesnt really matter to take them any more.
6.  See #s 1 and 2 again.

It basically comes down to self control, and a set schedule of reduction.  But trust me, everything gets better with time, and before you know it, you will be rid of it and looking back and saying "he was right"
This is my 6th day detoxing from vicodin, and let me say it isn't easy. I was taking 8-20 pills a day for the last 8 years. But I stopped cold turkey except there were two days in the mix where I took 1 pill one day and a half the other. This did help it was almost like cold turkey but with a tiny bit of help and it worked. I actually slept last night and I'm feeling a lot better today. I still have RLS and some anxiety but its all extremely better. I've also taken vitamin c, d, and e and immodium, plus tylenol and in conjunction with each other has made it better also. But honestly anyway that you choose to do it, it is hard and you will be sick but just keep faith cause it is only about 6-8 days before you are completely back to normal and you can get your life back. Good luck to all of you getting off this horrible addictive drug.
only thing i'm scared about is the legitimate pain i do feel in my back. how do you deal with stenosis, that hurts? I want off, i want my normal life back!. its only been a little more than a year. i have the up to 20 per day habit. but i want off i have a 13 year old and although i'm only 50, stenosis and mild scoliosis runs in family.
Havent read anyones post asking if alcohol (Beer) or marijuana would help with withdrawals symptoms.  I have both.....been taking two and a half vicodins (750 MG) for 5 years...It all started with surgury and when the doctor wouldnt prescribe more i ended up buying them from a sister in law who has a never ending prescription of 80 a month and cant take them so I have been buying them from her every month. 100.00.    I just bought 80 from here and now ive decided to get off these devils and find i cant.....havent slept for 3 days and havent eaten a bite for two days. ffeel like killing myself.....I am so ashamed I am now an addict.....never in my wildest dreams would i ever figure these pill would have such a grip on me....its crazy...what about the beer and weed....quit drinking 10 years ago but im so ready to start again if it will help me sleep.....tried unisom and nuquil but they dont help....can someone help me out with the beer and weed thing.....thanx in advance      Jimmy
I know it has been a long time since you posted this but I have been reading it and see this as being my route to stop.  I have never been addicted as much as I thought I would be.  I go with go without on and off but certainly don't need this crap anymore.  
I am going to do exactly what you said also, a physically demanding hobby.  Mine will be Martial Arts.  Focus is my focus!.
Thanks for this, I am making my schedule now!

a4jojo
i have been taking approximately 13 10/325 norcos a day for almost 3 years now, and until this last month i have never been without, before my last refill i ran out for 48 hours and it was hell!!!!! well here i am again though much further than two days before my refill, sun mon and today is tuesday, i have allowed myself two per day, 1/2 per time, along with sleeping pills, larazapan, flu medicine, hot baths with salts and eucaliptus, lavander, ect.....tomaro will be the last of my pills two.... am i looking at a full cold turky kick
0-I have been taking Norco or Percocet 10-325 for about 4 years now. I have tried to detox twice a nd didnt  give myself the time to do so the right way. Just took the detox meds unti they ran out and then...went  wight back. Now,  am doing it agai. Just took my last norco  today at 2:00 pm. Here is the deal though, I am afraid I am killing myself because it was never enough. I have been taking 20 10-325  tabs at a time 4 times a day...sometimes 5times a day. Ya, 100 per day. I was only getting 200 a month from my Dr but was also Dr shopping and buying them off the street for $4.00 to $5.00 each. Ya, got VERY expensive. I have just hadenough. I am married and my wife is a 3rd  grade teacher. I feel like I am letting her down because we struggle and she didnt know what I was spending on them. I also have a 4 year old and 12 year old daughter and feel I am  letting  them down too. My wife has never even seen a drug (even pot) let alone deal with someone who has an addiction.
I guess I am here because it would ne  nice to talk to someone else who knows what I am going through and maybe we can help each other along.   my email is sdcomedian   at   yahoo..yes, I am a comedian. I always  get askedthat when I give that address. ANYWAY, I hope to hear from someone and you all have a great night. This is my new beginning and its gonna be hard as  am starting again as I write this.  Goodnight
Start a new thread by going up to the top and click on the orange post a question ICON!  Copy and paste your post and it will begin a NEW thread to let everyone know you are here and need help!  I promise you will get it!!
Hello  everyone! I am now about  2 weks clean and feelimg better. I still need to shower like 6 times a day  a nd have bad muscle cramps but hey...I AM CLEAN! It is getting easier everyday but my lower legs and still KILLING me and I still have ZERO energy. I live 2 blocks from the beach here in San Diego  ans walk there ans back everyday for the past 4 days or so. When I get back, I dont want to move! I just feel like a Boa is squeezing me legs  so damn tight. More good news though is I am still having NO cravings, I dont want to even see them.
Question...does anyone know of anything I can eat or drink besides poweraid,etc..that will keep   me from being do damn drained all day or do I just need to work this out?
I was taking norco or percocet 10-325 for about 4 years. I tried to detox twice and NOPE! than  said what you are saying...I will just ween myself off. LEt me ask you this? when you say that do you say I will start weening next time, then that turns into next time, etc..etc..YA, I know man I did it too. I have been clean for only 2 weeks now but I an CLEAN ang happy to be geting my life back,  was WAY worse than you. I was taking 20 at a time 4 to 5 times a day. I was getting them from my DR plus  I was doctor shopping and the street. Spending about $3500 per month not including the 240 I got from mky Dr. Botom line man, YOU need to want to quit. I have a 4 and 12 tear old. What I did was tape their picture to the top of my hand ans said I need to live for them. Good  luck  and if you  have ant questions just ask
oops, this was for someone else
ThaNKS FOR ASKING, i AM AS GOOD AS IICAN BE RIGHNT NOW, BUT CLEAN
I have been on Vicodin on and off for 8 years.  Then I had 2 neck sx's both failed.  I took 12 Norco a day and then weaned off completely.  Then I went down to Vicodin 4 500/5 mg a day.  Dr. raised it and then told me my liver enzymes were 5x higher than normal. Then 3 wks later said "no more!"  Either you go cold turkey, wean off or get into an environment alone, where the drugs aren't around you...  Read something, maybe the Bible!  I'm not preaching but been there and done that!!!  2 many times.   Weaning off doesn't work for most folks.  I'm going to have to tough it out,new  albiet in bed for 5 days and I should be fine.  Thanks for all the posts, I am to this board. I don't even know what site I'm on, so remember as one of the other posters said, drink lots of fluid, eat as much as you can and sleep it off.  As for Tramadol, it has no morphene in it and is supposedly non-addictive.  I have it, but it doesnt help as much as the Vicodin.  It's kind of losing a best friend, trust me.  But once you are off of it,,, HELLO LIFE again.  We all back slide and have the best of intentions...  I used to work for a doctor and this is supposed to be a short term med, not for years.  It takes a huge toll on your mind and LIVER> i.e. mine is very high.  But were the doctors watching????  NO!  So we each and collectively have to take care of ourselves.  Best wishes to all of you,
Postscript!
I currently take 20 to 30 10/325's a day for about 2 years now. Im tired of this and rather deal with the back pain. It has made me a total different person. I just started going back to school full time and I'm doing extremely well all A's in my classes. But I'm scared to tell anyone in my family because of the embarrassment. And also don't think I can stop in the middle of this semester because it will make me fail all my classes. I was thinking of telling my fiancé which is a physician about my problem and my family but not til the semester ends in December so I can do a withdrawel without it affecting my schooling. Any suggestions?

This is my first post ever.
I am presently taking about 3 vics a day (5/325) as prescribed by my surgeon for rotator cuff surgery. I can already tell that this drug is wrapping its tentacles around me, and I will get addicted unless I stop soon.

One of the amazing things to me is that doctors prescribe this stuff with very little, if any, warnings about how addictive this is. They do not monitor your use. They will renew a prescription without any scrutiny or caution. It is truly mind boggling.

Initially, I looked at this medicine as a godsend, since it did help with my pain. But, now being 4 months out since surgery, and going to therapy 3 times a week, I believe it's time to stop taking this stuff, and rather suffer some pain. I guess I'd rather deal with some pain than have a long term addiction to this devilish drug.

Thanks to all who are honestly giving their accounts of how dangerous this drug is.
it defenately  helps...im on a tapper down and i feel great
hello i dont have a lot of time clean 12 days and i have been taking up to 15 or 20 a day of the norco 10 i wanted to stop but, from past experiences i was scarred ********. but i did go cold turkey and the first 2 days was living hell. on the 3rd day i went to the dr.and was totaly honest with him. i told him i ran out and it was 2 wks early and that im out of control and i was tired of the whole chasing my tail thing  i want to quit .but i need help.... so he put me on a step down plan heres his plan he writes me 14 norcos and 14 valium...at 8am i take 1 norco then 1 valium at 2pm at 8pm i take 1 more norco and then at 2am a valium even if i had to set my alarm so i could take my 2am valium. you have to stay on that schedule to the tee...anyways i have no withdrawls i feel great, i wish i would of went on  the first day....this is working so well i wish everyone would do that...theres no reason to have withdrawls ...i hope this helps...let me know   :)
hello you havent been on them that long which is a good thing. if you do a taper you need to tell your dr and let him put you on a taper. i had a 20 yr addiction to these evil pills..i tried many times cold turkey its hell could never get to day 3  and went back to them if you dont want to tell anybody even a dr. i can help you with one with a plan which worked for me i had no withdrawls and you wont even have to put school on hold or down time. i hope this helps....im doing it and i have 17 days i know thats not a huge amount of time but, better than i have ever done thanks to my dr and his taper plan

good luck be strong
Hi I'm 32 mother of three and a fiancé that seems disgusted with me. I been taking any kind of Vicodin or NorCal for almost a year. I'm up to 6-8 a day but when at school only about 4 sometimes not that many. Seems like when I'm off or home I take more even though I stay real busy. I didn't even think I had a problem ,till I didn't take any and didn't want to take any. I don't get prescriptions for them but I do have bad shoulder pain I'm in beauty school and the pain is from a car accident back in 06 but I'm fine with the pain till I use my arm a lot..but I really take them more for the energy than the pain. I said I'm done and I stopped taking them cause I seen my addiction and don't want it to get worse...the withdrawals are no joke and I didn't make it to day three..day two at seven pm I took two...and just twenty mins ago took one more...I have no high but none of those "just kill me symtoms (symptoms)" my fiancé isn't helping at all he things I'm weak and disgusted that I gave in. I've missed seven days of school and am about to get terminated and I've came so far and spent 26,000 on my education..I obviously can't do this cold turkey thing and I don't want to go to drs and go through anymore embarrassment ...I have access to any norcos or valiums I need..please help me no one else understands ...**** I didn't even understand how bad I was or that I was addicted..