Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
About benzos and methadone

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

About benzos and methadone

Do any form of benzos like xanax, if you have taking it for awhile can it give you short term memory loss....I have trouble remembering things.....this have been going on for about 8 months now. If it is the benzos and not the methadone(im at 20 mgs), then when i get off the xanax will i get my memory back????
Hi trista,

I don't think that benzo's cause memory loss, but the side effects of benzo's - the overall feeling of fatigue can make you forgetful.  When I was taking benzo's for panic/anxiety, I was tired alot.  I had never taken any sort of medication before (except tylenol and antibiotics).  There were times when I just felt like I was moving slower than everyone else, and I would forget to do certain things.  But it didn't last - once I tapered off of my medication I felt much clearer headed and sharper.  
I have no experience with methadone so I can't really comment about it.

Well wishes to you....

Sandy ♦
Id second what sandstone said.i was abusing diazapam and used to be very forgetful and total didnt give a f***.oh and they gave me the munchies
    Hi, it might be the methadone.  I take it and I've noticed that I can hardly remember anything.  I've taken methadone over 7yrs and I always used to think why can't I remember anything?  Now I've been tapering for about 6mo and I'm on 2.5mg and I've noticed I can remember things so much better now, it's like I can actually think straight.  U don't realize what a fog methadone puts u in!!!!  
bezos cause memory loss over long term use but do doed methaadone so you got a double edge sward sounds like your comingo off the methadone I can help you with that I also detoxed from benzos dont do both at the same time 1 then the othere good luck and God bless.......Gnarly
Firdt of all mixing benzos with methadone is a recipe for death.  The longer youre on these meds ,the more dependant youll become,and the more complacent. Meaning that everythings peachy, so you decide to go out with the girls and have a couple drinks. But a couple turns to a few just like that. Youve had a great time,youre feeling high,and you like it. You go home,get ready for bed,go to bed,but you die. Because you made yourself a lethal cocktail. What a great time you had.