Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Adipex

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Adipex

Does anyone here have an experience or information about the weight loss drug Adipex?  Does it have habit forming qualities, etc?

I have a friend who recommended it, but I don't want to go to the doctor until I know that it is safe to take for people with a history of addiction.  My doctor knows about my addiction, but they are also the ones who gave me the Ambien saying it was safe.

Any help would be appreciated.
Nevermind!

just found a website that said you could become physically dependent on it.  That's all I need to hear.  
yes..it is an amphetamine and psychologically habit forming like cocaine...so is phentermine ..as i had looked at taking it for 10 lbs i can not lose
i took it about 10 years ago and let me tell ya, that sh *t made me feel CRAZY! made my skin feel like it was crawling and my mind was wacked out. had to take xanax to calm down. NEVER AGAIN will i take a diet pill.
lisa
get on a diet, and some form of exercise. This is one of my expertise. Im a bodybuilder and i also train high lelvel clients, bodybuilders, fighters, althletes. If you want any help at all just drop me a note and i can give you some ideas how to eat right and sensible and avoid drugs for it.
Definitely avoid diet pills all together. The only way to permanant weight loss is a lifestyle change.

I lost my last 15lbs after my 2nd child was born, by just cutting all my portions in 1/2. I now eat whatever (and I mean WHATEVER) I want....just small amounts, and OFTEN. It puts your metabolism in high gear, all day long.  I'm back to a size 0 and haven't had an issue with weight in forever.......Eating small meals, often...that is the "secret".
small meals keep blood sugar stable and appetite in check all day. I always make peopel eat anywhere from 5-10 meals a day all broken into right portions and foods for each individual. Thats excellent advice
Thank you guys.  I changed my mind about it as soon as I saw it was habit forming.
my doctor has prescribed Adipex for me in the past to lose weight.  It worked great, I lost 50 pounds but I broke the pills in half or quarters because a full pill just made me too nervous.  If you are a nervous type person, it might drive you crazy.  It is good for reducing your appetite and gives you motivation so if you get them, I would suggest just taking half a pill to see how you react.  My doctor said he is only allowed to give 4 scripts a year so breaking them in half makes them last longer.  I never found them addicting except they do give you energy so when you quit, you do miss that. Just my experience with them
Of course for a person with addiction issues it probaby would not be a good idea for her to take it seen as she does not want to go from one addiction to another.