Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Can we BEAT Heroin W/D?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Can we BEAT Heroin W/D?

ANYTHING at this point means a lot to us. We just joined...tomorrow is D-day for us...doing what we hope to be our last shots of H tonight. Then we have enough subutex to last one week to help us ween off and totally quit drugs altogether. We are scared. Dont know if its gonna work but are prepared to go thru the hell of wd if the subs don't work. We just don't want to live this way anymore. And please dont get us wrong...we dont know if our plan will work. But we are scared and love one another so very much...we just dont want to live this way anymore. Neither of us are working right now but we have enough saved to last a few weeks AND i have a couple small jobs lined up PROVIDED we're not too sick TO work. We are humble people...modest, stay to ourselves. We are planning to begin meetings starting with one tomorrow (which by the way is Sun 9/8/2013). We in no way feel that we are above anyone or anything. We found this site, read some things that  truly touched us we are wondering in our fear, some things that one of YOU out there may have to help us. Be it advice, experiences, polite criticism or help in ANY way, its
much appreciated.
Thanks again & hope to hear from you again soon.
 L & M
I admire your courage. Oxycodone is my demon so I can't comment on heroin. Detoxing off of anything takes some planning and hard work and a real desire to be drug free.
When you are feeling awful during detox, remember it IS worth it! I followed the directions from the posts on this site about amino acids, Thomas Recipe, hot baths, short walks, music, books.......and made it to 60 days clean.
People here recommend aftercare. I believe this is important, to work each day to keep my sobriety. For each person this is an individual thing, we are all a little different. But for all of us, the addiction monster waits for us to let our guard down no matter how long clean.
Just my thoughts and opinions. In the past, I have relapsed by getting too confident.
Other people with direct heroin experience will comment, but I really felt like offering encouragement to the both of you. You will feel so much better not being dependent on a drug! Life really can be better!
Hello Larry and Maya,
You wrote "But we are scared and love one another so very much...we just dont want to live this way anymore."
You two absolutely don't have to live this way. You can do this because you wrote that statement. You now have willingness. That's what it takes. Us addicts don't want to stop until we want to stop. But once we get that willingness, then the way has been cleared. You're both now open to learning a new way of life. Congratulations on your willingness and your courage to do what it takes to get through this detox your starting. You're very lucky to have each other.
You mentioned meetings. I go to NA. That program has showed me how to live my new life. We don't graduate from this. This morning I woke up clean from all drugs because I've been given a daily reprieve. We take this life one day at a time. Detox is an event, but this new way of living is a daily process. My recovery is the most important thing in my life. Without recovery I have no life. Both of you must do this for yourselves and yourselves alone. Together you'll easily find each other in sobriety.
Most importantly, you both must feel you're worth it, you're worth what you're about to go through. You're worth it to yourselves,and to each other.
Keep posting on here, hit that meeting, get phone numbers, call them, you're not alone. I can't but we can.
Well Hello Friends and welcome to the first day of the rest of your lives,  I too know nothing about H detox, but more will be along to give you some solid advice and encouragement. Sundays are alittle slow so please keep checking your post throughout the week. You've been given some outstanding advice above and I'll just add to be sure to keep dehydrated even if its small sips of gatorade or watered down orange juice every hour. Immodium for the tummy issues, sleepytime tea for sleep with melatonin,hot baths all day long if needed for muscle aches and anxiety, heated blankets from the dryer for chills, wet ice rags from freezer on the back of the neck help any headaches,they say hylands restless legs for leg jerks (I never used that one), most of all know this WILL not kill you and this WILL end. Uncomfortable, you bet....but a small price to pay to get back the life you both deserve. Chasing your next fix and being dope sick half the time is way worse than a week of feeling like crap. Rooting for you guys, I believe your ready!!!
Good Morning and Welcome. I had to post to you this morning because twenty five years ago today was my first day clean from my DOC-Heroin. I spent twenty years with that demon and chasing that first high never to find it again. Heroin ruled my life. It was my friend, my lover and my financial advisor. It dictated everything I did and it took me to places I didn't want to be and with people I didn't want to be with. It left me shattered, broken and with Hep C. It is amazing I never came up HIV positive but there must have been a plan because here I am. I relapsed after 5-1/2 years on pills but have not gone back to my DOC. I am clean six years now so there is always hope. Never lose sight of that.

I'm not going to sugar coat it. This is not going to be easy. Physically the symptoms will last a week and they are pretty nasty. Mentally it takes a long time for the cravings to subside and that voice in your head to quiet down. That voice will lie to you at every turn. Get mentally prepared for it.

The Subutex will probably ease most of the physical symptoms but I am guessing you got that on the street and it is tricky business to take it if you are not under a doctor's care. It is not a miracle pill by any means. I always suggest that if you are going to go that route that you do it under a professional's care along with counseling, meetings or whatever aftercare you find fits you. So get to meetings like you said you would. The fellowships of AA/NA saved my life and still do today.

I also need to mention that it is even harder for two people to do this at the same time. Often one will give in and the other will follow. I am not saying that will happen to you but be aware of it and make plans if it does happen.

Stick around here. There are many good members here with clean time that can make suggestions to you and it helps to just talk sometimes. Keep yourselves busy.

I wish you both the best. I pray you make it through this and whatever you do just don't use.
Please get clean from this horrible drug.  I had a cousin that died in his late 20s from heroin.

I have read but do not have first hand experience that the withdrawals can be tough.  Vomiting and diarrhea.  You have the subs and you have each other for comfort.  Do you have a friend that is clean that can help get you anything you need?  Maybe you could go to the store early Sunday before it gets too bad and get some Immodium, Gatorade, Chicken, Eggs etc.  There is a list of foods that are high in dopamine that you may want to buy.

Please keep close to this board and let us know how you are doing.  May I ask how old you are?  You don't have to answer if you don't want to.
Good Morning ~

I don't know about heroin - but I am glad you found this group. They have helped me immensly. I find I come here every couple of hours for support.

I know that heroin is really bad - can you two go to a rehab place - to be medically watched??

If you get too sick - go to an ER.

Good luck!!
Hello my friend, so glad you two have decided to make positive steps towards getting clean, I know only to well how Heroin effects your life, it controls every thought and movement. It was always my DOC and still is, I completely agree with everything IBK said, great post IBK! You need to truly watch each other very closely, if one slips the other wont be far behind, that's just how it works! I would like to say that Subs aren't the best to get clean from either, so please take it easy with them. I am detoxing from Subutex now, 3 month in and still don't feel right, just be careful! Heroin is a ***** to get off, so I'm so proud of you both for going for it, just hold each other tight and don't let go! Wishing you all the best in everything you are striving for, stick close and tell us how it's going so we can support and advise you! Go grab your lives back, you both deserve it!
L/M - Are you guys with us?  I know it is tough to jump off the junkie wagon but we are all here for you. Please, let us know if you guys started or if you picked a new target date. Just having you post on this site is a great sign that you have hit the bottom and ready for a new beginning. Let us support you through the W/D party. Come back to us...
WOW!!! Maya & I here reading your posts together and WOW! This is awesome and we never expected this!  And it kills us to say this but we want to be honest...finally an active REAL place where we can get real help & support....even to just get us to a meeting.
We didn't start today folks :-(
We thought some things thru and realized today was not a good day to start. Our new date is next sunday.   Thank you for the heart felt support and will keep you posted.
I wanted to chime in here. I am 57 and used alot of drugs most of my life. I have almost a year in because I got real hooked on the Methadone. I went c/t from the Dones and illegal Adderral and a Benzo at night. It was a way different detox in a way compared to the other opiates.
Why Put it off. The H is more on the natural side and it will detox out quicker because it is not so synthetic.
What I would do is keep drinking Lots and Lots of water to keep the Body flushed out. Start Taking TONS of Vit/Min the more Natural and Plant based the better. You are going to want to get Protein powders and Electrolyte powder. Make sure you get the Salt it has Magnesium that pulls out Poisons..Oh Yes Magnesium is a life savior during and after detox. You most likely will experience different small changes as the Body and the Brain has to re-adjust back from the removal of these Stims (Drugs). Like Anxiety, Sleep etc. Maybe prepare of bunch of food or stock up on the microwave foods because you will hit a weak stage too. All I can say is this ALL Takes Time. Maybe do some research about the "Disease of Addiction" or even the "Disease of Addiction and the Pleasure Pathway", beyond Willpower. The detox part IS the easy part, it is fighting the beast to stay clean is the hard part. This is where the work will come in and YOU Two will need SUPPORT in all areas of your life. The cravings will ease up a bit as time goes on but we have to learn how to deal with life on life's terms. We have used for different reasons and learning to live in your own skin takes work. We can run but we can not hide.
Please start NOW YOU TWO will not ever regret the discussion to get your life back and the rewards that follow. Just know that the longer we use the more we mess up those Brain Chems and such.
Bless
I think it is great that you felt that you could be honest.  I would use this week to prepare for your detox.  Look at the Thomas recipe and foods high in dopamine (bottom right hand side of page) and stock up on everything.  Get any errands and other things out of the way.

I shouldn't assume but I am guessing you decided to wait because you had work this week and didn't want to be sick.  

I would also see if there is someone that could check in on you while you are withdrawing.  Even if it is just a phone call twice a day.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Hi and welcome! This forum is absolutely amazing and you'll find not only so much support but tons of suggestions that will help to alleviate some of the w/d symptoms. We'll be here when your ready. Definitely get the vitamins and supplements in the Thomas Recipe, some Ensure / Gatorade, bananas / saltine crackers, and epsom salt (for baths). You can do this. There will never be a "good" day or time to do it and our addictive minds will always rationalize why now just isn't a convenient time to be/get sick. I encourage you to take that big step sooner rather than later. You both can do this and we're cheering you on! Please keep posting and let us know how you're doing.
Ditto all of the above. Make your plan, prepare and then stick to it. The sooner you get thru this the sooner you'll get over it. Just keep posting for support and encouragement. It truly takes a village and we're ready to pull you thru.
I just wanted to add my support and encouragement. You both can do this! Opiates are a beast to kick, but it can be done. You have got some great advice. I totally agree with the 'there is never a good day or time to quit' statement. No judgement, but out addict minds lie and screw with us. We will trick ourselves forever if we believe that thinking. There are unlimited excuses for why we can't quit. You have a plan in place. Stick with it come hell or high water! Know that you are not alone in this. We will be cheering you on every step of the way! Please keep us updated and let us now what symptoms you are having. We all have lots of good remedies that can help you along. Good luck to you both, and please take care of yourselves.
I am not as insightful as others but i will say that if you want anything bad enough its possible! This site and these people saved my life and they can you too, if your willing! We abuse our bodies and for it to kick start back to normal we have to go through some cleansing, Thats what i call detox, kind of like a car we abused...we need work physically spiritually and emotionally, take the symptoms one at a time and NEVER give up!!!