Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Can you get high on methadone?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Can you get high on methadone?

If you slip up and relapse while you are on the program, wont it make you deathly ill?  My friend said he would always get high on methadone, but that it was a waste of money... i need the honest truth... im scared for my life guys.. help me!
Tags: methadone
The honest truth can hurt. Methadone in y opinion is a highly dangerous substance. It is horrible to get off of. Some people have abused it to get high. My concern about they way you are questioning is that you have not truly committed yourself to getting clean. I may be reading between the lines, but that is way I see. It takes 110% mental attitude to be successful. I can't remember what you were on, but methadone or even sub should be used as a last resort after you have tried other means to get yourself clean. This again is my opinion.

"When your desire to get clean, is stronger than your desire to use. Then, you will get clean"
I personally never got "high" on methadone..all it did for me was keep the w/ds away..and no...many people get their methadone and get high with the other things they were taking..not a good idea..Methadone is one of the most horrible w/ds you will ever have..I don't care what dose your on..
methdaone is also an abused drug to get high...so yes u can get high..it is a stong narcotic...suboxone can make u high as well in the right dose....ur plan should be to use a minimum and not to get high off of it if this is the route u choose
Methadone can be abused! I do not think methadone is the way to go for a pill addiction. I have used methadone twice. The 1st time it worked for me. I was not on it long. The 2nd go around was a nightmare. I was one it 6months. I thought it was going to kill me getting off of it. The w/d's are like nothing I have ever had.
Alot of people say they get hight off of it. It never did that to me. In fact by 4 or 5pm, I was ready for bed. I could not keep my eyes open. I could not live my life on that stuff. I would sleep alot... Not even good sleep. Sleep 2 or 3 hours, then up an hour or 2, then sleep a few more hours... it was a nightmare for me...
I hope you try and find another way to detox. But if you do use the methadone. Please do not stay on it long.. Use it for a quick detox, 4 or 5 weeks tops....

Good Luck,
   Lady
the problem is i am a heroin addict and im perscribed the Klonopins i take... they want me to at least be on the program for at least six months... i really feel that that is all i need.... i dont want long term maintence.... belive me.. i know people abuse it.. but i want to stop putting needles in my arm and if methadone will help me do that... then I am all for it
You are still going to go threw horrible withdrawal even if you only take it for 6 months . The thing that will really help get and keep you clean is support ,meetings ,counseling methadone is not a fix all and it comes with its own set of big  problems.
I was up to 70 mg..and did not get high..so I don't know what dose would make you high..I'm sure it is possible..
subutex is much better I was on 180 maintance and wanted to die when I went off seriously consider subutex or suboxone or a quick five day meth detox in a rehab center meth gets some people high but not real addicts
It depends y u r takin it?? If u have a heroin habbit it is used to stableize u, and stop withdrawals it fills up the reseptors in ur brain so u can't get the same high from the heroin, but if u don't have an problem u MUST  b carefull how much u take because the smallest amont of meth will kill u!!! U need to  explain more?? R u on a program 4 gear how much meth r u takin?? and wat r u slipping up with??? Pls get bac to me as I'm very worried about u!!!!!!!!!!!
methadone is not a bad drug!! only the ppl that abuse it are bad!

i dont "get high" when i dose in tha am. it does gimme a boost, but not "high"
ppl say you can kick a habit if you want too, but those ppl have never dealt with withdrawls! as long as your not using other drugs w/ the methadone your fine. Your being monitored and drug tested at most clinics. they also educate you about the drug
I WISH PPL WOULD STOP BAD MOUTHING METHDONE!!!!
(it has literally changed ppl's lives for the better) >=[
No people arent bad, some of the choices we make/have made are bad.  Methadone does have it's place but it isnt meant to be taken forever.  Most of know what wd's are like.......sara
it is used for  longterm. i am on it for chronic back and neck pain, stenosis, fibro and nerve damage. its used for life long chronic pain... i dont get high off of it either.
hi well you hers all the horor storys about methadone and there true id you have a choice go on sub its a bit ez to get offr I went threw methadone withdrawals and was sick for 90 days its no fun but I do believe it has its place and if your slaming a needle in your arm its a better opton then that use the time methadone puts your addiction on hold to seek out and work an aftercare program other wise your just switching drugs many go in for 6 mo and wind up like me there 6yr later do what it takes to get strait go to N/A meetings see a counselor do anything but sit in front of the tv thinking this is the answaer the frug will not get you well what you do will your addiction is on hold will I wish you luck when your ready to come off I can help good luck and God bless......Gnarly
I have taken methadone for over ten years, and I only took the methadone too. I take around 60 Mgs. a day, I have never upped the dose, and every time I take it I feel it. It does get me high,. and thats fine by me since I didnt start taking it to stop heroin anyhow, I just realized that it is just as good if not stronger for feeling it. If you plan to use it to detox, then take a lower amount, however. Becasue you will feel just like you are on heroin at a high dose, I know personally and do not listen to all these know it all people who have never done a thing
have you thought about suboxone? it has an active ingredient that inhibits the heroin having any effect. My bf was a heroin addict (smoked it) and he wanted to go on methadone, i looked into alternatives for him and this is the best it came up with for a maintenance programme. He is 4 months clean, and has gone from 16mg to 3mg in those months.
i believe methadone can be abused, and dont get me wrong i know suboxone is going to be an *** to get off too for him, but hes tapering sensibly and better than spending £60 a day on heroin.
Hes getting his life back.
Just a thought
take care
I agree with this poster. It is all mental when it comes to getting clean and staying clean. I was a percocet addict for about 1 1/2 years and the withdrawls were terrible but nothing that you can beat with some good support and helpful forums and such. I didnt however have any support when I went through my withdrawls because my addiction was concealed from the ones who love me and until the actual withdrawls started no one knew anything about my problem. at this time my wife was so angry about the lying that she pretty much let me just work myself through it. Let me be really clear on this and excuse my profanity. **** the suboxone, **** the methadone. Just knuckle down and deal with the few days of pains and aches and twitching. It feels like your suffering from a bad flu but it will only take days as compared to weeks or months of being on some other cructch (ie suboxone and methadone). if you are for real about getting clean then get clean. Let your family know so they can help. let your friends know. this way you have people there when you are at your weakest. that is the day you wake up and you feel normal again because your like. oh, i can take one today because its over and i am not addicted. It will just start the process all over again. Live life man. you might think things are better while on drugs but they are not. Grow a set of balls and just do it. you will never be happier than the day you realize you dont need a pill to feel good. Good luck and godspeed.
my doc just prescribed it to me yesterday for the same reasons...its my 1st time being on it. The name of the drug was a little scary so i wanted to get online & see what its really about.