Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
I NEED EVERYONES HELP ASAP

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I NEED EVERYONES HELP ASAP

I am finding it challenging when I start thinking about using and then getting away from those thoughts is very hard. I have never been to a long rehab where they teach you what to do; what are some techniques/tools for maintaining sobriety? I will be on the road this Sunday and my fianc├ęs dad has cancer and has a huge bottle of diluda and I can't afford to relapse when we are all moving from Florida to Arizona and into one house and they have supported my family financially/everything for the last 6 months when my own parents turned on me. So if something would happen I would get shot, because he does own a gun (just kidding). They have taken me in as one of their own and I can't let addiction **** this up. Please I need as many ideas as possibble even if it just works for you, post it anyways because you could be helping someone else out. I dont just want one post from someone, I need as many ideas as possible because I am moving and dont have the time to do the research because I need to pack and I am just 9 days clean so I feel real vulnerable as it is. So POST even if its silly or stupid. What works? Thank you very much for your help because without tools to stay sober and determined I will be doomed. Just Because there is more than one post doesnt mean that you dont need to post. I want to know as many tools as possible and figure what works. So Post, you dont even have to read any posts below this, just post and I dont care if things get posted twice, I Need as much help from you guys because I have a two year old to take care of, and things to pack,scrap,bow, and label. Please post and not stuff like do a search, because I do not have the time to do that, Thank you everyone for your help.
There's plenty of info about tapering at his site -- it will get you through the familial obligations and stuff.

Drop us a line when the whole family thing is behind you, and you'll get info re giving it up for good.

How much of what are you taking?

Remain calm. Must be a slow night here, but by tomorrow, you should have lots of advice. This post will bring it back to the top, which will help on the advice.

Remain calm!
First off. Remember the horrible pain from detoxing? Think about that every time the thought of taking something starts drifting into your mind. Also, do not let that thought drift at all. Just put it out of your head before it even gets in. Once you start letting the thought bounce around for awhile, you many times fall back. I am in the middle of a detox right now. I am in so much pain I cannot write anymore here. If I can handle it and not give up, so can you!!! So, the people here will help you, and get us off this stuff together.
Stay positive in your thinking.  Your fiances father has a medical condition and he needs those pills.....you dont.  You can do this!!!           sara
i would let your fiance or whoever is your support system know you are scared of relapsing being around this med and ask them to keep it away from you and keep an eye on you. ive found that telling on myself helps, especially when there are people that actually care about your recovery. it took me 8-10 mo to fight off those feeling. not to discourage you but it takes time and i am also in outpatient and go to counseling and am on suboxone. other than time and telling on yourself do like joseph sais and think of all the **** you went through, all the people youve hurt and lost and how many people including yourself will be disapointed in you. plus who wants to detox more times than they have too, but i know i detoxed on my own atleast 20-30 times over last 8yrs only to get high again just as i was feeling good. its stupid.keep busy, dont watch any tv that has drug content, i cant watch intervention anymore and i loved that show and TALK about it. if you keep it to yourself your using that junkie mentality i can get high one more time, no one will know, i will just do it this once. ********! i really dont know it kind of comes with time and experience and being fed up with the addict life. good luck, you can do it.
When you get a craving, change what you're doing at the moment. If you're packing, go to cleaning something, or whatever. Start realizing what triggers the craving. Tell yourself you are stronger than the demon. Do not dwell on the fact that you're having a craving, push it out of your head by changing what your doing or where you are at the moment, even something as simple as changing the room your in.
Go for a quick walk, take a few minutes to play with your kid, wash the dishes.....whatever. Keep your mind and body busy.
Good luck, moving su cks.
You need to tell him to hide the med....sounds like your gonna take it. I would not be able to handle that kind of temptation. If you take any you will keep taking them and he needs them and you WILL get caught and be out in the cold again.
It's not the number of posts that you get...it's about the advise. One post can do it. YOU just have to take the advise. There is a craving list under health pages that is good to refer to.Best of luck, Corey
Well it is not like its right in front of me and it would be like taking candy from a baby. He has been through what I have been living so he probaly knows better and I never taken any from him. I may of thought about it, but I try and think of the consequences. Also I just quit cold turkey 10 days ago and still fighting to feel better. Thank you for the advice and I have told my fiance whats going on.
Well i am on my 11th day of being clean.. and the day i told my boyfriend what was going on, and came clean with him.. & he told me that if i didnt get my act together, and get off this ****, he would leave.. no and if or butts about it.. that is what i keep playing in my mind over and over everytime i go too thinking wanting or needing a pill... like alot of people in this world, I havent had it easy.. I have been homeless, I have went threw a bad divorse, and lost my kids ....I have went days and days on end with without a place too lay my head , and have a warm meal too eat everyday.. And one of the reason i lost everything, is due too this diease.. and when my bf told me that day, that he would leave, and i realized, that i was about too lose everything again... I said nope, this diease isnt winning again.. it isnt taking my life once again.. I am fighting for what is mine.
Well too make a long story short.. It isnt easy , and pleasant too have too set and think about where you are going too sleep, or where am i going too get something too eat.. and where am i going too get my next high?( and i would go as far as stealing them from my sister, or someone that was close too me. ).... just everytime you get too thinking about wanting that high... and that taste.. think about what you have, and what you can lose too this .. grab ahold of what you got.. and hang on for dear life, and dont let go!!!!...
stay busy!! like everyone has said before, change your setting for a minute.. start thinking about yourself, your bf, and ur family..... go for a walk.. get a breath of fresh air.. I am going cold turkey.. no sobs or nothing.. just the convinse of being here with everyone, and haveing someone too talk too, and know they are going threw the same hell as i am going threw......good luck girl..and dont let the temption get ahold of you!!!
Good to know your fiance knows, because having some support will help you from feeling so alone through all this. You've been clean for 10 days. That's GREAT! The worse of the w/d's are behind you now. What you are experiencing now is Post Acute Withdawal Symptoms AKA: PAWS. When you get a chance, look into that. Also, if you can, call around and see if you can get your hands on some L- Tyrosine. They sell it at health food stores & some drug stores. That has helped me out with the mental aspect greatly. Another thing that helped me was lots of HOT baths. Sweating is good.
As far as the cravings? As long as you let yourself believe you NEED them to function, you will. It's that simple. Your mind is lying to your body and your body is believing it. The truth is: you don't NEED anything. Think back to before your addiction. Were you semi- productive? Happy go lucky? When you start having the cravings, it's very important to redirect your mind. I'm not going to mislead you by telling you it's that simple... but take it from me, it does get easier. You've made it through the hardest part- way to go :D
MIND. OVER. MATTER. with the rest.
I am on day three of detox. I tapered the first two days drastically and then this is the first day with zero. I am scared, but hopeful. I took vitamin C and a multi vitamin this morning, and I feel like it has really helped with the fatigue and aches. I actually feel OK. I am terrified of it wearing off, and feeling that pain again. Maybe reading this will help you when you get a craving. It is so not worth it. I have to fight through this and I am a teacher trying to work the last week of school. It is painful and very uncomfortable having to deal with others. Don't go back here. I wish I was nine days clean. That is such a big accomplishment and I will be sooooo proud of myself when I get there. You are amazing for getting that far. Don't ruin in. Vitamins and sleep help.
I had a friend have surgery and stay with me after i had been clean for bout 3-4 mths...i dint think it would happen but it did//i could not handle his pain meds being on my counter..so i put them in the cabinet..couldnt handle that weither/very humiliating to say the least...so i asked him to lock them up in his car...while he was sleeping it actually crossed my mind to grab his keys and get one out of the car!  geez..how tormenting!

remember the reasons u want to be clean..a typical craving lasts less than 15 minutes..so if u get busy like flmagi said...chances r it will be gone before u know it...hang in there...and if u can figure out a way to get the pills out of ur reach/it would be easier for u