Norco Detox... I need help :(
Hey all... I'm new to this forum... I just found it today and man, you guys are great. I'm in the same boat as a lot of you. I'm a stay at home Mom of two small children, and I started taking Vicodin about 7 months ago for chronic tendonitus, (5/500) and then after a few months of taking the vicodin (and loving the crap out of it) I found a doctor who prescribed me Norco 10/325. (Norco is the same as Vicodin, just a higher dose of the hydrocodone and a lower dose of the acetaminophen.) He would prescribe me 180 a time which is a one month supply, (if you take 6 per day). Which I was doing for about a month or so until I had to up the dosage due to the fact that I was building a tolerance. I loved the way hydrocodone would kill my pain, and at the same time give me such a great feeling! Everything the hydrocodone was doing for me I loved... It made me want to stop drinking my beloved wine at night, (I loved to have about a bottle a night not because I'm an alchoholic, but I love the taste and of course the little buz that comes with it after a long day with kiddos.) The Norco's also helped me to loose 35 pounds, the clarity and focus it gave me was so great, not to mention it helped considerably with prior stomach issues. (IBS) I found myself looking SO forward to taking my next dose, it just lightened up my life so much. Before I knew it, I was up to 12 Norco's a day. And since my husband was seeing the same doctor too, I convinced my husband to ask our doctor to prescribe him some Norco's also since I had to take so much and was building a tolerance. I thouroughly convinced my husband that I would not get addicted and that it was just a temperary solution until I had surgery on my hand to fix my tendonitus. Well... About 3 weeks ago, I was going through my pill bottles and noticed how fast I had been flying through my pills. I counted them and figured that I have been taking 20-25 pills a day!!! It scared me. It scared me BAD. So I decided to start tapering. Never worked. At the end of every night I would give myself this great big "pep talk" and had every intention of tapering the next day. Well, then my husband discovered how many I was taking. He is worried sick, and so am I. I can't seem to taper. The aggravation I develope after a few pills wears off is SO bad, that I just pop a few more to take the edge off. Then the cycle starts all over again. So this morning... I decided to go cold turkey.... Wow wow wow. I've never felt anything like that in my life. After a few hours of being awake and not taking any Norco's, I was doing ok, and thought, yep, I can do this. Oh boy.... Within the next few minutes I was laying on the couch with the wierdest cold and hot sweats I've ever had. It felt like ice water was rushing through my veins and my skin was on fire. Then, nausea hit me like a ton of bricks. I ran to my pill bottle so fast to wash a few down to kill that horrendous pain of withdrawl. I want to get off of this so bad. But I'm scared... I just got a mere taste of what it was like to withdrawl only for minutes.... Any advice would help me so so so so much. I just want my normal life back.... :(
My advice is definitely not to mess wth the tramadol.  I went down that road because they were easier to get and I had a seizure in the car.  They are bad news and the withdrawal from those is worse than vicodin.  I have detoxed on my own 3 times and I am on day 5 of hopefully my last detox ever.  I could never ever taper..it was always all or nothing and if you have them in the house you will take them.  I have 2 small children as well and a full time job.  I took a week off of work, put my husband in complete control of the kids and flushed everything.  THe first 4 days were absolutely awful but I have made it to day 5 and today I excercised and saw a counselor.  Look up teh Thomas Recipe.
Well... I'm about to hit my 24 hour mark in about 30 minutes. All I have to say is I RALLIED today! I feel horrible, I can't stop crying or shaking, but I made it. I never EVER thought I would make it to 24 hours. I'm so surprised that this is actually possible... I mean it has only been 24 (excruciating) hours, but I did it. Ok, I'm gearing up for the next 24 hours.... I have a question... I have a left over script of cough syrup with codeine... I actually don't like the way it makes me feel, (I just get super sleepy.) Do you think it would be okay to take a teaspoon (and ONLY a teaspoon) of that before bed so I can sleep and shave off some of this pain? I only have a few tablespoons left, and if I use it as directed and do not go over and ONLY take it before bed, would that be considered relapsing?
One word: Suboxone.

I had a 500-700mg/day oxy habit and started an 8 month suboxone regimen (slowly ramping down from 24mg/day, currrently 2 months in and down to 16mg/day of suboxone).  It is a miracle drug in my mind....no w/d's whatsoever and if you ween slowly (over 8 months w/ my doctor), you'll be all set.  Good luck.  
Congrats, at this point you must be on day two!  

I would have to caution against the codeine syrup.  Codeine is from the poppy as well, and while I'm in no way certified to make this call, I'd assume that taking it is going to appease your opiad need, and cause w/d's to be more prevelant in your next day.  It may make it go back to day one type of feelings.

I see you posted that at 9:50pm last night, so at this point you probably know if you feel better or worse today.

Regarding today:  
Day two brings you about halfway through the worst of it.  This is the part of your recovery where you should lean on us the most.  In a day or two, you ARE, no question about it, going to start feeling your body and mind recover.  I know you don't necessarily feel that this morning.  Take your vitamins, and hold on...just get through every 10 minutes.  Stay active, take a few walks(force yourself, I know you don't want to go out walking).  

In such a short while, you are going to be through the tough part, and it gets /much/ easier.

I'm on day 8...I made it a full week!  I can't tell you how much better I feel, physically.  At work, for the first time in a while, I felt SHARP.  I was wittier than I've ever been.  

This IS GETTING better Kelley, and you CAN do it!
Hey KM! Don't try the cough syrup. The dextromathorphan in it may make you feel worse once the codeine fix subsides & may make your withdrawl symptoms worse. I know, I tried it & I felt as though I had entered the 9th ring of hades! Truly not worth it. The only thing I could keep down for a few days was protein shakes (Atkins don't taste too bad & unlike slimfast don't contain sugar so there is no sudden drop) sips of orange juice with calcium (Tropicana very easy on stomach) & cremated toast (black). When your appetite comes back, indulge it! That is when I felt hopeful again. I was horribly constipated for the first 6 days & had to take fiberlax. Today the diarrhea has begun but again I feel relieved that I haven't shut down my bowels or my renal system due to Tylenol od! Hands no longer twitchy, not anxious, HUNGRY!! By the way, depression is a major effect when detoxing & recovering. I am on Zoloft 100mg per day & have been on antidepressants for 20 years. You may even have depression & not know it because you've been self medicating (like me) for so long. Talk to that dr about anxiety meds but stay away from Valium & xanex as they are addicting. You can do this. Breate thru each moment & string them together.
Hi all... Well I'm about half way through my second day... Yeah, I would have to agreee that day two is much harder than day one was. I did have a few teaspoons of that cough syrup last night and it did help me sleep a little. Definiely do NOT want it today. It's not so much the aches and pains that are so bad, for me it's the depression. Crippling depression... Has anyone else gone through this as well? I can't stop crying and feeling so sad. I doubled up on my prozac today... Not sure if I should have done that, but I'm really struggling here. My mother in Law gave me .5 mgs of Ativan. (Anti anxiety meds). I hope that that doesn't derail my hard work, but the saddness and anxiety is KILLING me. I feel like I'll never be happy again. Any advice would help so much. Thanks everyone for responding to me, you all are helping me so much. Love and Blessings, ~Kelley~
Terribly typical...unfortunately.  I called it feeling "soul-less"...you just feel empty.  But, little by little, your personality will start to shine through.  It takes longer than the physical stuff...at least for me.  But, like everything else...it comes back...and when it does...it's better than any false high those pills can give you.

Just another trick the brain will play to make you want to use...

Stay strong...you can do this...
Hey KM
The way you feel is normal. Your body & brain are craving. Ativan is ok to take the edge off - the Thomas recipe uses Valium or xanex I think. Get into a hot bath of shower, try some warm milk (sounds gross but the L-Tryptophan may help) try to eat something. Go for a short walk if you can. Day 3 was always the worst for me but by day four I was starting to feel a little more human. Don't give in to the cravings. You may feel as though you can't go on but it does pass. It is exhausting to do this over & over. Ask yourself if you want to go thru this again. Remember too that there is a very great danger of Tylenol poisoning which can be fatal. At the rate you (& I) were going that was a very real possibility. Proud of you! We are all suffering together. Some of us are just further along in the process. XOXOX
I'm on day two off of norco - and I could spit nails, I took for fibromyalgia and it just quit working - I was taking 3 1/2 10/325 pills per day.  I can't sleep, my restless legs are worse than ever as is my pain. I was taking the vicodin for 2 1/2 years and just wanted to give my body a break and try alternative/non addictive medicines....HELP!  How long do the w/d's last and will they get worse b4 better.  Thx Sharon
Day 3-4 were the toughest for me.  Just get through the first 5 days and you will be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and you will actually have some natural energy.  The thomas recipe really helped me.  I also have 2 kids and used them as an excuse to take pills.  Now I am using them as the reason to not take pills.  You can do it.  Today is my day 6 and I just ran three miles and had a good lunch and actually felt happy without any substance.  You can do it.
Hey Sharon, I'm in the same boat as you... (And I even have a precious little Beagle to boot!) Yes, this is grueling pain... All I can hope for is that the next day will be better. Everyone is different, so I'm sure it's different for everyone. The good news for you is that you were only taking 3 and half pills a day, and even though it was for 2 and a half years, you might have a better time than the rest of us are. Infact, I wouldn't be too surprised if you would be just about all the way back to normal by tomorrow morning. Baby yourself, relax, and breath through every moment. Take it hour by hour and just know that this is possible. (From what everyone has been telling me, haha.) Yes it *****, it's painful, we want it over with more than anything. But just remember, no pain, no gain. Tell the pain to BRING IT ON, YOUR NOT GOING TO BE HERE FOR LONG!!!  :)
I quit a 10-12/day Tylenol #3 habit and went through withdrawals.Mine lasted about 4 days of sleeplessness,restless legs and sneezing.The rebound pain was bad,but i controlled it with 2 extrastrength tylenol mevery 4 hours max 2000mg./day and 800 mkg ibuprofen every 4 hours max 2400mg/day.At night to help me sleepI took Nyquil without the decongestant for a few nights.I also worked full time and coped reasonably well.I do not need the sleep aids,but still take tylenol extra strengthy for my rheumatoid arthritis pain.I also took all the vitamins and nutrients.I am over 4 months clean and do not have any cravings.
thanks for the suggestions and support......I have been taking hot showers, when I can muster up the strength to get out of bed and have been doing ibuprofen 800 x 6 hours....I take 1mg klonopin for sleep and had to break down and take one this afternoon which I hated to do, but it helped with the heebie jeebies - my boyfriend is here, trying to help, but he's getting on my nerves big time  (smile).....I know it will be over soon enough, and I just pray I can find alternatives to my pain that do not include these nasty little pills - Thanks again for the support and it does help to know that others are feeling the same and are willing to share their experiences - KelleyMack- I love beagles, I do part time work for a beagle rescue and am a foster failure (I've kept the last three fosters for myself) I just can't help it, my latest Ziva (named after the NCIS character bcuz she is a trip) I decided on the ride home to keep her.  I love my babies.....and they are sticking to me like glue!  Thanks again!
ok - it's 0105 and I've taken 2mg klonopin, 2mirapex, and 5mg valium and cannot stop moving around the bed - this will certainly be a deterrent in the future if my pain warrants narcotics, I will remember this..........and just say NO!  If there hadn't been so many break ins and home invasions in my area, I would go for a walk to try and walk out the jitters - I have a new found sympathy for anyone detoxing from anything to alcohol, oxy, benzo's whatever and will now go lay down on the couch and pray for everyone here that is struggling with the addictions and detox that our pain and suffering will end quickly so we can get back to living our lives!  goodnight all,  sharon
The posters story sounds familiar...when a person feels nrg from narcotics it is a bad sign..feels good but means they r a target for addiction...for the normal brain narcs make us sleepy.///i do believe an addict has a depletion or lack of a chemical...most likely dopamine..which predisposes us to love narcotics,,where another could take what they needed for pain, go to sleep, and forget the rest where in the cabinet...and addict knows they r in the cabinet..and the pills call our name til we take all we have on hand...and then we look for more..an addict can not leave them "sitting: there until the next ache or pain...cos they make us feel so good..bad sign..and wished it didnt happen to me
Agree with eagle on the trams..seen too many go down on trams..had a friend almost die and now has brain damage due to tram abuse//her doc was not trams..but they r easy to get compared to other narcotics//narcotic like???but the person who gets a hold of trams and has an affinity for them//they r deadly//and tram wd makes hydro wd look like a picnic cos it last so longggggggg...the AD quality of trams makes the depression really bad during wd///they affect the narcotic/MIU/receptors plus seratonin receptors//making it a double whammy to wd from//i never had a liking for trams...and for some i would say if they needed to take sumpin to work and take the edge off..it is a better choice than sub especially for a pill popper//for others like my friend who popped 6 at a time 2-3 times a day or more depending on her mass supply from her pain dr who was reserved about hydro scips...but gave her trams like candy//trams can be deadly if taken by the person who has a "liking" for them/they can be a real nightmare

any drug that is addicting should be used with extreme caution if at all for any addict or alcoholic//substance abuser..i think there r those who can do sumpin like using trams for detox//or sub for detox//then there r the those who make these "step down drugs/in some cases/step up drugs" their new DOC//cos we r addicts..we just ARE!

One thing an addict can never forget//nor can they ever change//is the fact that we r and always will be addicts...and any attempts to use responsibly will as a rule slap us upside the head hard///tis a hard thing to accept..but in most cases this is very true//but lots of us are gluttons for punishment/an addict can be a tough cookie..and can take alot of slaps on our hard heads...but we fear wd like the plague///go figure!  (:
Hi Kelley

I loved what codeine done for me and I stopped the drinking too so that I could take more. Every thing that gives you that feeling is addictive, every thing we enjoy is addictive because we get pleasure from it. I never knew how much I was taking either. I was in denial. I tried tapering to but I have no self control cos I am an addict. I f you do not want to go cold turkey your pharmacist can dispense  them daily. But to be honest I thought tapering was harder than cold turkey. Too much clock whatching till ma next pill.. I would pretend I had a sore back to justified taking these. I did have a sore back but it healed and I was still taking them, I told my husband I had arthritis so that he would not question my pill popping. I would use the pills as a crutch for every day citations. I was taking 20-30 a day. I was get more pills in my husbands name as he never went to the doctor. I knew they were killing me but I could not stop. Then I decided when I got caught I told my husband every thing. There was no hiding any more. The only way to describe it is, we all have a monster in us mines is a codeine monster. I was just  me and him for three years. No one understood me like him. No one was there for me like him. He was my best friend my only friend and the only one that was top of my priorities. He was with me always. I decided to give up cold turkey, he told me you cant do it you need me to much, your sore you need me to take your pain away. I went through withdrawal, and in my head I told him you can beat me up and down but you ain't getting any, he threw my body up and down, then he tried to play mind tricks on me. I still never used. I know this sounds a little crazy what I am saying.  But the addiction the monster will tell you anything to protect itself  to control you isolate you and eventually kill you. He aint no friend. I am three weeks and one day clean. And only now do I feel normal. I have a son. I really do believe it does depend on length dose and your body the type and severity as well as length of withdrawal but it is defo worth it cos you are worth it. So when you here that voice in your head just have one or you cant do it. That monsters no ones friend. Sending you big hugs and kisses keep posting. And I know is sounds scary what I am saying but I am describing the addiction in my own words. x x x x x x x
I'm on my 3rd day and my 66th hour norco free. I am hanging by strings thinner than cob webs. I'm in the darkest place I have been in since I lost my Dad 4 years ago. I'm really in a lot of pain mentally more than physically. I can't stop crying and am more miserable than I ever could have imagined. Did anyone else go through this as well? I mostly heard about the body aches of withdrawl, but me, it's more mental than anything. Crippiling depression. Please please help.
Kelley - the rebound pain as excrutiating as it is, will dissipate - I promise, most people say it's just amplified by your brain not having the opiates, so there is a light.  Hang on, you can do it! Like you told me, baby yourself and grab your little beagle baby and ride out the storm.  I'm only day 3 and I dare say I feel a little better today pain wise than yesterday and I'm not craving a pain pill although I'm in a large amount of pain.  You can and WILL get through it, be strong my friend!  Sharon , p.s.  I will pray for you today!
I don't know if I can hang in there anymore... I really really don't.
Yes you can!!  Don't talk like that.  I am right where you are at this moment in detox...do not give up.  Please hang on.  Everyday you will start to feel a little better.  You don't want to start over again!!!  I will be praying for you.  Jeri
Stick with it......Now I'm really craving a vicodin*going into day 4), so I think at 900pm in a minute, I'm going to the store for some chocolate.......OMG - there is no one with as little will power as me, so if I can do it you can do it!  Hang tough.....eat some chocolate....I know the pain is bad and the cravings are bad but it will all pass.......think of life before the pills and remember you didn't get here overnight, so it won't go away overnight....I have to tell myself that about the 50 lbs I gained over two years taking vicodin and could never lose it back, now I KNOW I can lose it without anything stopping me (except for the chocolate cravings which I swear were made worse with the hydro's)
YOU CAN AND WILL GET THRU THIS!  Be strong and God bless, Sharon
Well I made it to my fourth day. Had some pretty weak moments there yesterday. This morning I woke up with a real bad cold. So this is pretty tough to say the least. The depression is the absolute worst part, and everyone knows how bad the body pain is, so for the mental pain to be worse than the physical must be pretty bad. I'm doubling up on my prozac every morning, and as soon as I have the strength to look up a good Phsyciatrist, I will be there in a New York minute. I just feel like I will never be the same w/o the norco. I tried to rationalize with my husband this morning about if I could just take no more than 10 a day, and he can dispense them and hide the rest as he pleases, would he be ok with that??? He said if I ever tough norco again, I will be out of the house. Pretty hard to hear when I'm this depressed and there is no end in sight... I'll post later. Everyone who is going through this or has gone through this is in my constant thoughts and prayers.
you will be happy again...and super job on four days!!  But the body and mind take longer than 4 days to heal from years of destruction.  Trust the folks here...by the time you reach double digits in days...you will feel like a new person.  Keep fighting...for me the mental part in the worst...to feel basically empty...but IT WILL PASS.

hang in there, girl! You know, it's hard to hear this, but your husband said the right thing. going back is not an option for any of us. Im sure there are many that wish they had a strong husband today. He knows you can take even 1. So good for him. I hope that you can see that too. I know what you're going through stinks, bad! I am sorry you have to go thru it too. I dont wish that on anyone. Keep posting and let us know how you are. Much love.
I'm at 96 hours norco free!!!! I can NOT believe that I have made it this far. I'm hurting so bad emotionally, i just can't believe it. It's as painful as loosing a loved one... I'm going to see a phsyciatrist tomorrow morning which I SO can not wait to do. Obviously I have some pretty major depression issues that the norcos were masking. (Scary.) I was curled up in a ball crying unconsolibly for most of the day today. The best advice I could give to anyone who is aboiut to detox, tell your doctor or see a psyciatrist first! I so wish I would have done that, for me the emotional pain far out weighs the physical. Did anyone else go through crippiling dpression like this? When should I start feeling better? I'm over the worst, right?
Also I have another question... I woke up with a horrific cough and cold this morning, so I did take about 2 tsp of my cough syrup with codeine... No high what so ever from that stuff, I actually don't like it... Do you think that taking that today has derailed all of my progress from detoxing from Norco's???
Kelley,

Read this it will explain everything

There is a natural chemical that our brain produces that is called Dopamine. This chemical is what stimulates our pleasure center and also what lets our brain interprets what measures it needs to take for survival. So, picture if you will, the following. On one side of your brain you have a "sac" that contains the Dopamine, on the other side of your brain you have a receptor (For the rest of this post I'm going to refer to this receptor as a gate for easier explanation).

Now, in a normal, non addicted brain, Dopamine is released naturally after say a good meal or sex. In the normal course of things for instance, if we eat a steak dinner, the sac will release the normal amount of Dopamine, let's say one squirt. The gate opens, receives the Dopamine, we feel good and everything is as it should be. Now, drugs also release Dopamine only at a much higher level, so while a candy bar might release one "squirt" of Dopamine, drugs release up to 100 times the normal amount of Dopamine. So, when we first begin to use, we swallow a pill or shoot some Heroin, 100 squirts of Dopamine gets released causing the Euphoric feeling that leads us to use again. The problem now though is that after a while, that one gate cannot open fast enough to accept the unusually high amount of Dopamine that is being supplied, so being the amazing organ that the human brain is, it simply grows another gate to help it accomodate. So, now we have 2 gates that are open and want to be fed. So instead of needing to only take 1 or 2 pills a day, suddenly we find that we need 3 or 4. Now 200 times the normal amount of Dopamine is being released and the process continues, these 2 gates need help so the brain grows another, and another and another........Now we find ourselves needing 6 or 7 pills a day.

While this is happening our brain is led to believe that it now HAS to have this chemical to survive, just as it knows that it needs food and sex to live and to reproduce. It now thinks that without drugs it will die, for you see the brain doesn't know what we are giving it, just that it MUST have it or die. So, with continued use, our tolerance grows due to the extra gates that we have open, that need to be fed and fed on a consistant basis. So, as opposed to the normal brain that has it's one normal gate, an addict may have 20 or 30 gates now. This is why we can take drugs in a high enough dosage that it would kill a normal person but for us it is the amount that we need just to feed all those gates and keep ourselves normal.
So now, we decide to quit. Easy enough, right?, I mean, just stop swallowing the pills and all will be well (ever been told that?). Well, as you know, it's not tht easy and the reason why is when we suddenly take that drug away,stop feeding those gates, our brain goes into panic mode, it thinks it is dying. So, what follows? 7 to 10 days of extreme sickness (WD). Our brain is sending out distress signals just like it would if we quit eating (think for a minute what a human will do if they get hungry enough and then you can see why addicts will do things they never thought themselves capable of to get what they need.) Now, after the first few days, the brain begins to realize that it is not going to die and we start to physcially feel better. But that is by no means the end of the problem.

Think of those gates for a minute, wouldn't it be nice if when we quit they disappeared and everything went back to normal? Unfortunately, that is not the case, the addicts brain is forever altered. Those gates NEVER go away, we will always have all those extras. Now, this is where it is so difficult in early recovery. Ok, so we have quit taking drugs, we feel a little better, BUT now we eat a candy bar, the normal amount (that one squirt) of Doapmine is released, BUT ALL of those extra gates open to receive it and our brain starts to scream "IT'S NOT ENOUGH", which of course it is not, we have 30 gates opening, expecting to be fed and they get one little blast instead of what it is used to. This is why in early recovery anything that releases Dopamine needs to be reduced or eliminated if possible. Of course we have to eat, we can't eliminate that of course but have you ever noticed when you first got clean that you found yourself overeating or craving right after a good meal? We crave after we eat because those gates are open and we may overeat trying to satisfy the need for excess Dopamine. That is why it is a good idea to avoid sweets or products like NyQuil, because they contain sugar and alcohol, which "teases' those gates unnecessarily.

Now, while those gates never go away, the good news is that after we are clean for awhile, they do become less sensitive. Eventually even though they are still there, fewer will open and things return to as close to normal as we will ever be able to get to. So, basically we have them, they are laying dormant and if we get say a good 6 months to a year clean time, they pretty much leave us alone. BUT, how many times have you heard an addict say that they were clean for a while and thought they could just use recreationally now and control it? Of course we can't control it, once we take that first pill (or whatever) again, the HUGE amount of Doapmine is released and ALL of those dormant gates are wakened and our tolerance is just as high as it always was. We don't have to build it back up, we pick right back up at the amounts that we are accustomed to. Or how many times have you seen someone who never had a drinking problem get clean from pills and then become an alcoholic? They think that if they are not taking their DOC they will be ok. But remember, our brain doesn't know if we are feeding it Vicodin, Heroin or whiskey. All it knows or cares about it is the end result that the substance produces.

Now, we are getting clean, the WD's are over, we are not using any other substance but yet we are miserable, can't sleep, are depressed, anxious, etc, etc....Now, why is this, it's not fair, right?, I mean, we did what we were supposed to and yet we feel so ABNORMAL and it seems to last forever. Well, the reason for this is simple, when we were growing all those extra gates and training our brain to rely on a unnatural chemical, we ACTUALLY, PHYSCIALLY altered the chemical makeup in the brain. So, now we may be clean but we are left with a bunch of synopsis (sic),and receptors that are in essence "misfiring". We feel the way we do because our brain in no longer functioning normally. This does eventually heal but it is not a quick process by any means. Our brains have to repair all the damage we did when we went in and rearranged it's furniture so to speak. Usually this takes anywhere from several months to a year. The longest time belonging to those whose DOC is opiated based, such as Vicodin, Percocet, Oxycontin and Heroin. This is why such extreme caution has to be use in early recovery and also why so many addicts relapse.

There is life/light after drugs....gotta give it some time tho! (:
submitted by worried878
Sorry for the long post.  Actually I ran out of charactors had to finish up with another one.  I hope this helps.  The rest of the previous post is at the bottom of this one.  GOOD LUCK.......KEEP THE FAITH.......YOU CAN DO THIS.  Here you go!

It take so long to feel normal again that most of us give up and return to the drug induced normality that they are used to.  I mean, how long can you go through living everyday just not caring about anything? Most can't get through that. BUT, if you stay strong, have a support system and be patient, one day you discover that you can smile again and while it may only last a few seconds, it is a real feeling, a twinkle of the REAL feelings we used to feel. Then you begin to have these feelings more and more.  Then one day you are actually excited about sumpin or just feel happy cos it is a sunny day! And you begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  You become confident you are gonna reach that light very soon.  And you will if you KNOW you will.  The light is always there, shining so very brightly, waiting on you to reach out for it again. And the light forgives all.

submitted by worried878
Hey Dano, wow, that was a lot of good information. Pretty scary, but good to know. Your right, I feel like I don't know how much longer I can go on like this. It's SO scary. I was only on vicodin for about 7 months... Do you think I'm going to have an equally hard time as say someone who has been on it for years or more? Thanks so much for all of your words of wisdom, they help so much. :)
Kelley,

I'm not a doctor, but I'd think the fact that you've been only using for 7 months, you should recover faster then someone using longer.  But as you know everyone is different.  I used for 9 months and was feel emotionally much better in 2-3 weeks.  I to had a very very hard time with the depression thing.  But I promise you stick it out and it will get much better.  
Day 5 is here!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I DID IT I DID IT OH YEAH YEAH YEAH!!!!!!!!!! I'm feeling worlds better today! Just about back to my old self. The depression has lifted quite a bit too. I even got in to see my Psychiatrist today, I confessed everything to her, and I'm on a real good plan to stay recovered and to never EVER relapse. Man, I saw the depths of hell, that was some of the worst mental and physical pain I have ever been through. My best advice to anyone who is going to detox is to have a good plan in action before day 1 starts. Know it's going to be a miserable 4 or 5 days, DEFINITELY visit with a Psychiatrist before hand (you never know who bad the depression is going to be, it almost got me to relapse on day 3 it was so crippling.) If you have a good plan set in, than it is so very possible. I didn't have any kind of plan and I got through it... It's just a lot easier to arm yourself with every knowledge possible. My Psychiatrist said that quitting opiates is one of the hardest drugs to kick, it's up there with heroin!!! So just know if you can get through that first five days, you can probably get through ANYTHING. To all of my friends on here that have encouraged me, educated me, and supported me, I can't thank you enough. You were seriously half the reason I got through this, and I will be forever grateful to you. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone who is going through this, who is about to go through this and who has made it through this. I know there is still a long road ahead of me, and I will have to continue to work at it, but I'm in it for the long haul. Being trapped in "pill hell" is way worse than going through a five day detox. The lovely light at the end of the tunnel is so rewarding. Love and blessings to everyone, and thank you again from the bottom of my heart.... ~Kelley~
Go KM! I am so glad day 5 is done & that you saw your shrink! Support like that as well as from your husband is vital for recovery. I was afraid to confess & I've been married 20 years! He is very supportive & it has been nice when I'm "jonesing" at night to have him hold me. Every other time I tried he never knew what I was going thru. There is a girl on this forum, Catlover 8 who doesn't have the support of her spouse but has to rely on her friend. Look her up & tell her your story. You are doing super! So proud of you! XOXOX
Did anyone else have a really rough day with day 6??? I was doing SO good yesterday, and thought I had really made that "turning point". Then this afternoon, it was almost like I was back at day 3! I mean it was tough. Everything in my body and mind was begging begging BEGGING me to take a Norco. Is this how it's going to be for the rest of my life?? One day good, then the next day bad????
Totally normal! Here I am getting into bed & I have a horrible headache. Tried aspirin & motrin since I've had this headache all day & nothing. I'd sell my soul for a few little yellow friends right now. if only I could sleep. You are doing fine. Some days will be better than others! XOXOX
Oh thank you! Man, I feel like I am seriously back sliding! And your right, the depression is a MAJOR factor. I have never been in so many dark places in my life over these past 6 days... Those Norco's sure do mask a LOT. How far are you in your recovery? I heard after the first 10 days, it's pretty good from there on out... Is that true? I saw my Phsyciatrist 2 days ago, and she put me on 30mg of Cylexa. So we will see if that helps... I just want these horrific cravings to go away already!!! I don't know how much for fight I have left in me.  :/
Day 7 is gooooooooooood! :)
Tramadol withdrawals were wayy worse then percs... they are all they mental high with very little actual pain relief. bad bad thing to start. please dont.
Hey KM!
Oops!
Wrong button! Day 13 for me. Horrible day at work. I was biting peoples heads off & tinkling down their necks all morning! Came home at lunchtime & went to my closetwhere I always hid my stash in one of my boots. Checked all over the closet to see if I dropped any - sometimes I'd drop one & find it in a shoe or something on the floor or the dry cleaning bag! I was like a madwoman ony kness tearing up the closet! After about 10 minutes I gave up without finding any norco. DISAPPOINTING! Luckily I was also hungry so I ate & felt better. Tonite I actually feel sleepy! Proud of you girl! Keep going! XOXOX
Hi all I have too been addicted to Norcos for about 3 years now. It started when my brother had shoulder surgery. They gave him Norcos for his pain. One night he gave me one to try because I had some back pain. At it was all downhill from there. After his prescription ran out I found a lady that sold them so I was spending about $300 a month on pills. Now I'm engaged to e married and my fiancé doesn't know how bad my addiction is. He know I use to have an addiction to them but doesn't know that I am back on them. I work about 70 hours a week as a restaurant manager and I am only 23. Norcos seem to e the only way I can stay relaxed and not stress over every little things. I want to quit a because I have to because I can't afford it and also because lately it has not been making me feel good all the time but make ever emotion I have more intense than the next. If Im irritated it makes me EXTREMELY irritated and he same for when I'm happy. I wanted to post because this is day 2 of not taking 12 a day I take 1 a day to calm the chills and sweats. But I have also been taking work out vitamins and trying to run a lot. I feel ok so far but I know I have to give up the 1 a day soon also. But I can't seem to wrap my head around dealing with this next year ( planning a wedding, and my 70 hour a week job) without these pills. =(
Thanks for that link.  Very informative and thorough.
I read your profile.. just found this sight ..going without norcos for 29hours does it get any worse then this? I live with my mom she thinks I have the flue.. this would break her heart if she knew the truth .. been taking 5 a day for two years.. I could of taken more but never took more then that..
Okay I am in severe depression and a single mom my irratibility is off the ,charts! I feel like I'm not going to make it...this is day 8
Took norco for close to a year straight 6 to 10 pills a day. The depression is crippling but what's worse is the fatigue I can't even get up to cook my kid a meal what do I do
Welcome to the forum, helpme.....this thread that you have posted on is over a year old....so if you can copy and paste your question....or just post a new one...you will get lots more feedback, support and help that way.

At the top of this page, there is an orange post a question button..hit that and post your question.....that will get you to the most current forum activity~
I really enjoyed what you wrote! I have been 6yrs into this and have just got thru the first 12hrs! Gosh it's aweful! Some words here are heaven scent when they relate to you! I noticed yrs ago that I wasn't much of a movie fan like I used to be! I used to consider it art and also stopped being moved by music! As a child I was always singing on the school bus! I always thought I had this understanding of God because green grass would give me such joy! Your words helped me realize what I was truly missing! Thank you!
Hi everyone! I can't believe I'm here. I'm not even sure where this all started, maybe a knee surgery 3 years ago. Anyway, I'm now upto at least 10 hydros a day (this is anywhere from Vicodin, narco, and sometimes oxy). I'm sick of this running my life. I just took 3 of 5 narcos I have left. I was prescribed 60 on Tuesday and seeing how fast they went scared and discusted me. Tomorrow I go cold turkey. No one knows (family, boyfriend etc) so I have to continue work and life through this. Any support or advice would be great. Had to put this out there as I need accountability. Thanks for all your encouraging post
Terrified but done!
My son in laws doc gave him wellbutrin he's doing good stayed off norco .. xo
Please update how all of you are!??♡♡
xxx...this post is 4 years old. The members that posted are no longer active. You need to start your own post and tell us about yourself. There is great support here. I see that you have a few posts so you know how to do it. These old posts will get lost and go back to archives. If you need help just ask.
Hey all! I was bombarded by a coyote back in August and was put on narco also.  I have abused them, but am tapering now.  I was taking about 4 a day (7.5) and sometimes 5, up until 3 days ago.  Yesterday and the day before I only took 3, and today so far only one.  I had one when I woke up at 4 and I'm now at work and it's 3:15 and haven't taken the 2nd one (last one left out of the script).  I know over the weekend I will detox a little, but said to myself during the week to do it now so as next week at work I won't detox as bad.  I still have the wicked pain in my arm (that is where I was malled by the coyote), but am dealing with the pain.  I think for myself (in the past I became hooked on Percs 10mgs and abused the hell out of them and that detox was HELL), taking Tylenol and Ibuprofen will help.  I am worried about the next two days because I like to stay busy and don't want to become irritable.  My spouse thinks I take as prescribed which I usually do, but then on days when the pain is unbearable in my arm, I took more, but do you all think that I tapered in the smart manner?  I know I'll have at least 3 days of detoxing, but the last time I ran out early (one month ago), the detox only was for about 4 days, then I felt my REAL energy.  I know I have a script waiting for me in two weeks because of the constant throbbing from the coyote bite, and I will not lie to you all: I want it, but don't.  Make sense? Just wish I could take it as prescribed ALL of the time instead of taking it as prescribed for a few days, then a couple more other days.  Is that normal?  UGH...Wish me luck over the weekend and FYI...all of the comments and help you have given ppl are amazing!