Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Norco Detox... I need help :(

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Norco Detox... I need help :(

Hey all... I'm new to this forum... I just found it today and man, you guys are great. I'm in the same boat as a lot of you. I'm a stay at home Mom of two small children, and I started taking Vicodin about 7 months ago for chronic tendonitus, (5/500) and then after a few months of taking the vicodin (and loving the crap out of it) I found a doctor who prescribed me Norco 10/325. (Norco is the same as Vicodin, just a higher dose of the hydrocodone and a lower dose of the acetaminophen.) He would prescribe me 180 a time which is a one month supply, (if you take 6 per day). Which I was doing for about a month or so until I had to up the dosage due to the fact that I was building a tolerance. I loved the way hydrocodone would kill my pain, and at the same time give me such a great feeling! Everything the hydrocodone was doing for me I loved... It made me want to stop drinking my beloved wine at night, (I loved to have about a bottle a night not because I'm an alchoholic, but I love the taste and of course the little buz that comes with it after a long day with kiddos.) The Norco's also helped me to loose 35 pounds, the clarity and focus it gave me was so great, not to mention it helped considerably with prior stomach issues. (IBS) I found myself looking SO forward to taking my next dose, it just lightened up my life so much. Before I knew it, I was up to 12 Norco's a day. And since my husband was seeing the same doctor too, I convinced my husband to ask our doctor to prescribe him some Norco's also since I had to take so much and was building a tolerance. I thouroughly convinced my husband that I would not get addicted and that it was just a temperary solution until I had surgery on my hand to fix my tendonitus. Well... About 3 weeks ago, I was going through my pill bottles and noticed how fast I had been flying through my pills. I counted them and figured that I have been taking 20-25 pills a day!!! It scared me. It scared me BAD. So I decided to start tapering. Never worked. At the end of every night I would give myself this great big "pep talk" and had every intention of tapering the next day. Well, then my husband discovered how many I was taking. He is worried sick, and so am I. I can't seem to taper. The aggravation I develope after a few pills wears off is SO bad, that I just pop a few more to take the edge off. Then the cycle starts all over again. So this morning... I decided to go cold turkey.... Wow wow wow. I've never felt anything like that in my life. After a few hours of being awake and not taking any Norco's, I was doing ok, and thought, yep, I can do this. Oh boy.... Within the next few minutes I was laying on the couch with the wierdest cold and hot sweats I've ever had. It felt like ice water was rushing through my veins and my skin was on fire. Then, nausea hit me like a ton of bricks. I ran to my pill bottle so fast to wash a few down to kill that horrendous pain of withdrawl (withdrawal). I want to get off of this so bad. But I'm scared... I just got a mere taste of what it was like to withdrawl (withdrawal) only for minutes.... Any advice would help me so so so so much. I just want my normal life back.... :(
Hi there,

I may get some slack for suggesting this, but if you can get a small amount of Tramadol, it really helps with w/d's from hydro.  
It IS addictive if abused--but so are other Opiate Replacement Aids...such as Suboxone. AND can cause seizures, so if you are prone to seizures or on certain anti-depressants you should not take Tramadol.  

However, one or two when your w/d's are at their worse can really take the edge off.  This has worked for me in the past--as a short term solution.  Just to get past the 3-4 days the withdrawls are at their worst.  You only want to use them for a few days and in minimal amounts, to insure you don't end up with another withdrawal issue..

Again, this suggestion may not go over too well--but it is only that, a suggestion.  Of course you should consult your doctor before trying any other/new meds.  
Yep you are just like me. Norcos and any other opiate made me feel like I could run for president!!!! I also took Tramadol which also has a horrible withdrawl (withdrawal). Not trying to knock evejones but I would not reccomend switching addictions. You husband already knows so confess to him that you are addicted and will need him 100% this weekend to detox. He can hold and love you through this. W/d's are horrible for sure but they are the necessary evil to get clean. Don't forget they are temporary!!  It's pain that leads to gain and eventually FREEDOM!  Show your husband this site read and post and dont give in to the dope.

Pray all you can and trust that God does know your pain. He is the one that told you that you actually have a problem!!

Make friends here and stay in touch with us.

Take care,

Dafishman
I agree, it IS best to not use any other narcotics while W/Ding.  It was just a suggestion, as it is something that worked for me and I, for some reason, was able to control the Tramadol to tiny amounts while coming off the hydro.  I know that it is not an ideal solution...but it did help me.  

Good luck however you go about it, OP.  You also may want to look up the Thomas Recipe which is a very useful regiment for hydro withdrawal...

You dont want a short term attempt at a fix - - reference Pharma - just put the handle in MedHelp's search engine....A registered Pharmacist! ......trammies are a worse withdrawal than most other narcotics - -  also look up Emily Post blog through the search engine if you want for real horror stories about trammies............there does not exist a painless pill for withdrawal - the Docs that tell you that about Sub didn listen in their class well enough..........iut may be done with an extremely long taper and detox - but that even comes with  major depressive issues......     You may have to resign yourself to some discomfort to quit this habit - - - how long of a history do you have?  Many say to count on 1 day of horrid withdrawals for every month of use ...........  but be prepared for the depression and mental parts even long after physical withdrawals are over....  This isnt a 7 day event - - It is a lifelong effort............
Wow we have so much in common, I detoxed w 2 kids as a stay at home mother w a 2 year old at that. And I too luv my nightly glass of wine..I am now going into day 13 and I am happier than I have been in years. May I add I have a herniated disc that I started taking lortab for and like you I began to become tolerant and dependant. After realizing this... I quit cold turkey!! Yes the wds are gonna suck bad, we have all been there. But know that each day is a new and better day. I took an otc med called dramamine for the nausea and it worked wonders. Immodium ad for the bathroom part and ibp for pain. If you want this bad enough u can't continue to take the pills as you are starting the hell all over again. Find something positve to confess everyday even if its I made it another day. Positive energy goes a long long way. I know you can do this!! Just go read through some of our posts and you will see it can be done. This site got me thru the first 5 days as if it weren't for these people I don't know where I would be. You just have to stay strong and dedicate yourself everyday. Yes the first couple days are hell but everyday is a new day. I promise it will be worth it!! Confess daily that you are delivered and keep posting
Hi all, thanks so much for all of the advice... I actually just got off the phone with my doc... I was too chicken to tell him that I was up to 25 pills a day and that I was only up to 9... His reaction to 9 was pretty big, so I didn't even want to touch 25! He said to taper off just 1 pill a week until I was down to one pill a day... But I'm thinking that's like pulling off a band aid one hair at a time... So I'm thinking I'm just going to suck it up and quit cold turkey starting tomorrow. I told my husband, and he will be taking tomorrow off, so I will have a three day weekend to detox and he can take care of me and the kiddos. He is so supportive, and I am so so so lucky to have him stand by me while I go through one of the hardest things I will ever have to go through in my life. This is definitely one of the scariest things I've ever had to do.... Not only am I scared of the detox, but I'm afraid that I will never be happy again. Every hour I had something to look forward to, and I always knew that feeling good was right around the corner. I'm so scared I'll never be that happy again. Since I've only been on hydro for 6 and a half months, just how bad are the withdrawls going to be? I know everyone is different, but is it going to be as bad as say someone who has been on it for years???? What other withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms can I accpect? I'm going to need so so so many prayers. If you believe in God, give him a shout out for me.  Thanks again you guys. :)
Unhappy is taking these devils for years, losing all of your natural emotions, spending all your money, losing all your relationships, not to mention your drive, ambition and natural love of life.

Yes, it will suck...yes, it may take a while to be "happy" again...but it will pass.  I forgot how much regular stuff made me feel...how rain made me happy...the smell of freshly cut grass...the love of my wife.  Everything is numbed...and over time...there is no high...you take them to feel "normal".

You are doing the right thing..and by others standards...7 months is not that long of a time.  Some folks here are working in 20, even 30+ years of use.

Post...post often and read the Health Pages...the truth of what you are actually doing to your body will scare you straight.  

Good luck...even though this is about effort and will power...not luck.

Best,

Free
sorry...forgot to give you the tips...here goes...copy a paste from another post I made...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first thing you need to know is that the mind will play tricks on you.  Telling you this is not possible.  That is simply not true.  Kicking opiates, although hard and unpleasant, is actually one of the easiest of the drugs to detox from.  That being said, you have to "FEED" your body and not take a "sit back and wait" attitude.  Like anything else, the harder you fight, the easier you will make it.  So, with that said, here are some tips.

1)  There is a ton of great information on this site regarding Vitamin and Amino Acid intake.  Some examples are Fish Oils (3-6-9), Thyrosine, B-6/12, Multi Vitamins...etc.  I went to GNC and picked up a Protein Shake mix. It has everything you need in terms of amino acids...the building blocks you body/brain needs to right itself.

2)  Hot epsom salt baths...worked wonders for me.  The salt helps accelerate the detox and they feel great and will calm you down.

3)  Hydration...drink until you can't drink anymore.

4)  For many, like me...RLS (restless legs, the feeling like electricity running through your body) and lack of sleep are the worst thing.  I got Hylands, Restless Legs which helps a ton.  For sleep, everyone is different, and you may need something to help.  

5) Excercise...it sounds like hell, but it is amazing what even a 15 minute walk can do.

Know this...what you feel will not last forever.  Most will say, that after Day 5 you will be feeling much better.  Not 100%, but good enough to do what you need to do.  Everything comes back, with a little hard work and determination.  It won't feel like it, but every minute, hour and day that you make it, you are one day closer to your goal of...FREEDOM.  These little pills take everything away...and it's time to get back to living instead of existing.

Oh yeah, one more thing...POST and READ POSTS.  I did it for 3 days straight and it was a great tool to help wisk the hours away.  There are a ton a great folks on this site at various stages of recovery.  You are not alone and you can do this.

Keep us updated...we will be here to help.
Hey There! Welcome to the site. So glad you found it! COngrats on your decision to quit tomorrow. Try not to focus on your fears. Fear kept me in pill bondage for years! I am approaching 19 days clean. I am startign to feel emotions that I ahve stuffed for years. Some good, some not so good :) All the same, I am feeling again. I do understand your point, but you have a loving, caring husband by your side. Stay strong~keep posting. Someoen is usually on to help you though. I will pray for you right now. xxoo
Great work on your decision to quit!

I think you are lucky, in that you found this site as you are /about/ to enter into a few unfomfortable days, and this site will be your best friend.

First, take a look at this page:  http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Addiction/Protocol-for-unassisted-opiate-withdrawal-/show/659?cid=66

The sauna and hot tub ideas are really great, if thats a possibility for you.  Hylands restless legs is key, and I've found two EmergenC's per day to be really helpful for keeping my energy up.  This was especially important on my days 4-6, which have been regular at-work days.

And lastly, know that we all know.  The symptoms you feel have all been felt by all of us.  People have posted all the way from their first days through to their recovery.  Read all these during the hard times, and post.  
You have to make up your mind that you will be happy without the pills and you will find that in fact you will be happy.Once your mind is made up that you do not want to chase that short high of opiates you will be able to fight the enemy and win.The desire to beat the enemy is within yourself and you have to be determined to want the clean life more than the drugged life.You are lucky to have family support and you can succeed for yourself and for them.Others have posted the vitamin and amino protocol and you should be over the worst in 4-6 days and after that everything gets better.You can take extrastrength tylenol and ibuprofen in recommeded doses for rebound pain.I suggest Nyquil without the decongestant to help sleep at night.It contains doxylamine,dextromethorphan a very mild opiate that I think helps soothe the hyperacftive pain receptors and 1000mg tylenol per dose.It itself can be habitforming so only use it a few nights.Good healing and keep posting.
Hi all... Well... Slight bump in the road. My four year old son started vomitting this afternoon, and hasn't been able to stop all night... (My poor little guy...) So my husband is going to take next Friday off so I can begin my detox then... (It's just going to be too stressful with my son so sick and then me going through such horrendous withdrawls.) I'm actually kinda bummed, even thought I've been scared to death, I was looking forward to getting this behind me. I need some opinions... Should I continue to taper through the weekend into next week to prepare myself for going cold turkey or does it even matter? I've been tapering the past two days, yesterday I took 12, and today I took 11. (Quite a ways from 25 a day.) It's been pure uncomfortablness, and I'm just wondering if I should continue to be miserable, or if I should have one more "good bye" week with my pills...? Any advice would be SO SO SO helpful.... Thank you all for your responces, I feel stronger already. Love and Blessings... ~Kelley~
Yes you should taper...and in fact, try going as long as you can without one...try to put as much clean time as you can between now and the quit date...it will help tremendously.  Honestly ask yourself..."do I need one".  Your heart, not your head, will tell you the answer.

Also...and I don't mean this to doubt you...be careful that you don't fall into the pattern of "finding a good time to quit".  I too have kids...and honestly...there is never a good time to go through w/d's with them (i know sick kids are very tuff to deal with).  There will always be something that comes up and delays the event...rough week at work, kids, social events, etc.  Just make sure your brain isn't playing a little trick on you to keep you using.

Hope your son feels better...God knows, I would rather be sick than have my kids go through it!!

Keep fighting...we will be here...  
Girl I am in my 13th day and happier than I have been in years!!!!! You have to change your way of thinking! Remember like I said in my previous post, positive energy goes a long long way! You can do this! Stay strong, and change your way of thinking.... Life and death rely in the power of the tongue...
Hey everyone... Well, something miraculous happend last night after my last post... My son stopped vomitting and hasn't since. So today is the day I'm going to go for it. Norco / vicodin / hydrocodone is a thing of the past for me. My last Norco was last night at 8:30pm.... It is now 1:30 the next day. I have made it 15 hours with out one little bitty Noco. I've had some pretty hairy waves of withdrawl (withdrawal). So bad that I'm in crying fits and moaning like I'm dying, But those only last for a maximum of 5 - 10 minutes. Then once they subside I'm pretty good, besides that I can't seem to control my body temperature. I go from freezing cold to burning hot in a matter of seconds. But other than that, this is a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. I was afraid I would be praying to the porcelin gods for days on ends, and that's not the case at all. A few nausea spells, and then it subsides. Know what else???? I laughed a true genioun laugh today for the first time in a long time. My husband asked me if I wouldn't mind making him a four course meal tonight, followed by me raking the leaves outside that the storm blew around, and ending it by watching one of his horrendously annoying war movies after. I havn't laughed like that in months. He's been wonderul, and so so so supportive. I honestly don't think I could have made it this far without him. And you all... The support here has been wonderful. Is the first 24 hours the worst of it? Or is it the second day? Any more words of wisdom would help me so much. Thanks again all, please keep me in your prayers to stay strong. ~Kelley~
I wish I could say the first 24 were the worst...but for most, it is Day 2-5 that are bad.  Nothing you can't overcome, though.  Keep chugging along...and yes you are lucky, a lot of us have to do it alone..

Keep posting...
Hey KM!
Way to go! Funny how things work out. Days 4-6 were hardest for me, but everyone is different. Drink as much gatorade as you can and lots o' baths. SOme said epson salt helps. I used baking soda. makes the water super soft. Hang in there and know we are pulling for you! XXOO
Hey there,

I am joining you on Monday, going cold turkey from 5 20mg oxys a day. I quit ct last June and made it almost two months but I foolishly convinced myself that I could go back and take them as prescribed. Well that was the worst choice I could have made. Now I'm back to square 1 but determined to get off these awful pills for good this time.

Fom what I remember from last time the first few days were awful but after day 5 things really got better and the more days I went the better it got but I would say get some after care in place. Detoxing is actually easy compared to STAYING clean. When you start feeling better the devil of addiction might try and convince you that you can have ''just one'' Don't fall for it.

I also have two little ones, a one year old and a two year old. Thank God my grandmother is going to be coming up Sunday night to help for a week. You will find so much support here and read up on PAWS in the healh pages, it will give you a good idea of what to expect but don't get overwhelmed - take it one day at a time. YOU CAN DO THIS and in return you will be given a new lease on life. The battle for your life has begun and hang in there. We are all here for you and when your feeling weak POST, post as much as you can and read up on everyone's stories. We are all battling the same horrible addiction and much can be learned from others.

WAY TO GO on your decision to reclaim your life!! Hang in there and the worst of the physical withdrawals will be over in a matter of days. Hot baths really helped me last time and I used xanax to help me sleep but discontinued it after about a week. I'm ready to conquer the beast with you!! We will be free again!

Oh man, I'm really hurting....I can't stop crying, sweating and shaking. I tried an epsom salt bath and couldn't get out for 45 minutes... I can't imagine going through another day of this. Does anyone think that maybe tomorrow will be any better?
Wow, I really feel for you.  Try getting a massage or just stay distracted as much as possible.  I did the tapering method of getting off Norco and the last few days was spent in Las Vegas with my wife without my small kids and I had a very nice spa visit with a massage that really helped.  Just reading your posts, I can feel your pain.  Stay strong and know that this will all pass in a few days.  Remember to STAY STRONG.  Do not talk yourself out of this by saying you will try tapering at this point.  As long as your husband knows what is going on, you have every excuse to be a miserable wreck for a few days.
It depends...but for most, you can expect a few days of not feeling well.  For me...the shakes came and went the quickest.  You have to know this will be rough...but it's supposed to be to remind you how much damage you have done.  You can get past it...take an hour at a time.

We are here
Try keeping a journal as well...it will distract you and you can read it when you are feeling weak a few weeks down the road to remind you of the hell you are going through.

If you've been taking 25 a day going ct is like jumping off the Golden Gate bridge! You should try to taper. I was up to 20 a day. I increased the time between doses until I was down to 8 a day so the drop wasn't as harsh. Norco made me fat!!! All I do is eat but I have do much enery & feel great! Whenever I go off the pills I get a lot of opposite affects. I get constipated for one - I mean whoever heard of being regular on Norco? When I detox I feel like my hands are coming off - twitchy & tingling. Please be careful as w/d will make you want to die but you're afraid that you won't. Give the norco to your husband & have him meter them out until you can detox safely. Good luck !
My advice is definitely not to mess wth the tramadol.  I went down that road because they were easier to get and I had a seizure in the car.  They are bad news and the withdrawal from those is worse than vicodin.  I have detoxed on my own 3 times and I am on day 5 of hopefully my last detox ever.  I could never ever taper..it was always all or nothing and if you have them in the house you will take them.  I have 2 small children as well and a full time job.  I took a week off of work, put my husband in complete control of the kids and flushed everything.  THe first 4 days were absolutely awful but I have made it to day 5 and today I excercised and saw a counselor.  Look up teh Thomas Recipe.
Well... I'm about to hit my 24 hour mark in about 30 minutes. All I have to say is I RALLIED today! I feel horrible, I can't stop crying or shaking, but I made it. I never EVER thought I would make it to 24 hours. I'm so surprised that this is actually possible... I mean it has only been 24 (excruciating) hours, but I did it. Ok, I'm gearing up for the next 24 hours.... I have a question... I have a left over script of cough syrup with codeine... I actually don't like the way it makes me feel, (I just get super sleepy.) Do you think it would be okay to take a teaspoon (and ONLY a teaspoon) of that before bed so I can sleep and shave off some of this pain? I only have a few tablespoons left, and if I use it as directed and do not go over and ONLY take it before bed, would that be considered relapsing?
One word: Suboxone.

I had a 500-700mg/day oxy habit and started an 8 month suboxone regimen (slowly ramping down from 24mg/day, currrently 2 months in and down to 16mg/day of suboxone).  It is a miracle drug in my mind....no w/d's whatsoever and if you ween slowly (over 8 months w/ my doctor), you'll be all set.  Good luck.  
Congrats, at this point you must be on day two!  

I would have to caution against the codeine syrup.  Codeine is from the poppy as well, and while I'm in no way certified to make this call, I'd assume that taking it is going to appease your opiad need, and cause w/d's to be more prevelant in your next day.  It may make it go back to day one type of feelings.

I see you posted that at 9:50pm last night, so at this point you probably know if you feel better or worse today.

Regarding today:  
Day two brings you about halfway through the worst of it.  This is the part of your recovery where you should lean on us the most.  In a day or two, you ARE, no question about it, going to start feeling your body and mind recover.  I know you don't necessarily feel that this morning.  Take your vitamins, and hold on...just get through every 10 minutes.  Stay active, take a few walks(force yourself, I know you don't want to go out walking).  

In such a short while, you are going to be through the tough part, and it gets /much/ easier.

I'm on day 8...I made it a full week!  I can't tell you how much better I feel, physically.  At work, for the first time in a while, I felt SHARP.  I was wittier than I've ever been.  

This IS GETTING better Kelley, and you CAN do it!
Hey KM! Don't try the cough syrup. The dextromathorphan in it may make you feel worse once the codeine fix subsides & may make your withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms worse. I know, I tried it & I felt as though I had entered the 9th ring of hades! Truly not worth it. The only thing I could keep down for a few days was protein shakes (Atkins don't taste too bad & unlike slimfast don't contain sugar so there is no sudden drop) sips of orange juice with calcium (Tropicana very easy on stomach) & cremated toast (black). When your appetite comes back, indulge it! That is when I felt hopeful again. I was horribly constipated for the first 6 days & had to take fiberlax. Today the diarrhea has begun but again I feel relieved that I haven't shut down my bowels or my renal system due to Tylenol od! Hands no longer twitchy, not anxious, HUNGRY!! By the way, depression is a major effect when detoxing & recovering. I am on Zoloft 100mg per day & have been on antidepressants for 20 years. You may even have depression & not know it because you've been self medicating (like me) for so long. Talk to that dr about anxiety meds but stay away from Valium & xanex as they are addicting. You can do this. Breate thru each moment & string them together.
Hi all... Well I'm about half way through my second day... Yeah, I would have to agreee that day two is much harder than day one was. I did have a few teaspoons of that cough syrup last night and it did help me sleep a little. Definiely do NOT want it today. It's not so much the aches and pains that are so bad, for me it's the depression. Crippling depression... Has anyone else gone through this as well? I can't stop crying and feeling so sad. I doubled up on my prozac today... Not sure if I should have done that, but I'm really struggling here. My mother in Law gave me .5 mgs of Ativan. (Anti anxiety meds). I hope that that doesn't derail my hard work, but the saddness and anxiety is KILLING me. I feel like I'll never be happy again. Any advice would help so much. Thanks everyone for responding to me, you all are helping me so much. Love and Blessings, ~Kelley~
Terribly typical...unfortunately.  I called it feeling "soul-less"...you just feel empty.  But, little by little, your personality will start to shine through.  It takes longer than the physical stuff...at least for me.  But, like everything else...it comes back...and when it does...it's better than any false high those pills can give you.

Just another trick the brain will play to make you want to use...

Stay strong...you can do this...
Hey KM
The way you feel is normal. Your body & brain are craving. Ativan is ok to take the edge off - the Thomas recipe uses Valium or xanex I think. Get into a hot bath of shower, try some warm milk (sounds gross but the L-Tryptophan may help) try to eat something. Go for a short walk if you can. Day 3 was always the worst for me but by day four I was starting to feel a little more human. Don't give in to the cravings. You may feel as though you can't go on but it does pass. It is exhausting to do this over & over. Ask yourself if you want to go thru this again. Remember too that there is a very great danger of Tylenol poisoning which can be fatal. At the rate you (& I) were going that was a very real possibility. Proud of you! We are all suffering together. Some of us are just further along in the process. XOXOX
I'm on day two off of norco - and I could spit nails, I took for fibromyalgia and it just quit working - I was taking 3 1/2 10/325 pills per day.  I can't sleep, my restless legs are worse than ever as is my pain. I was taking the vicodin for 2 1/2 years and just wanted to give my body a break and try alternative/non addictive medicines....HELP!  How long do the w/d's last and will they get worse b4 better.  Thx Sharon
Day 3-4 were the toughest for me.  Just get through the first 5 days and you will be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and you will actually have some natural energy.  The thomas recipe really helped me.  I also have 2 kids and used them as an excuse to take pills.  Now I am using them as the reason to not take pills.  You can do it.  Today is my day 6 and I just ran three miles and had a good lunch and actually felt happy without any substance.  You can do it.
Hey Sharon, I'm in the same boat as you... (And I even have a precious little Beagle to boot!) Yes, this is grueling pain... All I can hope for is that the next day will be better. Everyone is different, so I'm sure it's different for everyone. The good news for you is that you were only taking 3 and half pills a day, and even though it was for 2 and a half years, you might have a better time than the rest of us are. Infact, I wouldn't be too surprised if you would be just about all the way back to normal by tomorrow morning. Baby yourself, relax, and breath through every moment. Take it hour by hour and just know that this is possible. (From what everyone has been telling me, haha.) Yes it *****, it's painful, we want it over with more than anything. But just remember, no pain, no gain. Tell the pain to BRING IT ON, YOUR NOT GOING TO BE HERE FOR LONG!!!  :)
I quit a 10-12/day Tylenol #3 habit and went through withdrawals.Mine lasted about 4 days of sleeplessness,restless legs and sneezing.The rebound pain was bad,but i controlled it with 2 extrastrength tylenol mevery 4 hours max 2000mg./day and 800 mkg ibuprofen every 4 hours max 2400mg/day.At night to help me sleepI took Nyquil without the decongestant for a few nights.I also worked full time and coped reasonably well.I do not need the sleep aids,but still take tylenol extra strengthy for my rheumatoid arthritis pain.I also took all the vitamins and nutrients.I am over 4 months clean and do not have any cravings.
thanks for the suggestions and support......I have been taking hot showers, when I can muster up the strength to get out of bed and have been doing ibuprofen 800 x 6 hours....I take 1mg klonopin for sleep and had to break down and take one this afternoon which I hated to do, but it helped with the heebie jeebies - my boyfriend is here, trying to help, but he's getting on my nerves big time  (smile).....I know it will be over soon enough, and I just pray I can find alternatives to my pain that do not include these nasty little pills - Thanks again for the support and it does help to know that others are feeling the same and are willing to share their experiences - KelleyMack- I love beagles, I do part time work for a beagle rescue and am a foster failure (I've kept the last three fosters for myself) I just can't help it, my latest Ziva (named after the NCIS character bcuz she is a trip) I decided on the ride home to keep her.  I love my babies.....and they are sticking to me like glue!  Thanks again!
ok - it's 0105 and I've taken 2mg klonopin, 2mirapex, and 5mg valium and cannot stop moving around the bed - this will certainly be a deterrent in the future if my pain warrants narcotics, I will remember this..........and just say NO!  If there hadn't been so many break ins and home invasions in my area, I would go for a walk to try and walk out the jitters - I have a new found sympathy for anyone detoxing from anything to alcohol, oxy, benzo's whatever and will now go lay down on the couch and pray for everyone here that is struggling with the addictions and detox that our pain and suffering will end quickly so we can get back to living our lives!  goodnight all,  sharon
The posters story sounds familiar...when a person feels nrg from narcotics it is a bad sign..feels good but means they r a target for addiction...for the normal brain narcs make us sleepy.///i do believe an addict has a depletion or lack of a chemical...most likely dopamine..which predisposes us to love narcotics,,where another could take what they needed for pain, go to sleep, and forget the rest where in the cabinet...and addict knows they r in the cabinet..and the pills call our name til we take all we have on hand...and then we look for more..an addict can not leave them "sitting: there until the next ache or pain...cos they make us feel so good..bad sign..and wished it didnt happen to me
Agree with eagle on the trams..seen too many go down on trams..had a friend almost die and now has brain damage due to tram abuse//her doc was not trams..but they r easy to get compared to other narcotics//narcotic like???but the person who gets a hold of trams and has an affinity for them//they r deadly//and tram wd makes hydro wd look like a picnic cos it last so longggggggg...the AD quality of trams makes the depression really bad during wd///they affect the narcotic/MIU/receptors plus seratonin receptors//making it a double whammy to wd from//i never had a liking for trams...and for some i would say if they needed to take sumpin to work and take the edge off..it is a better choice than sub especially for a pill popper//for others like my friend who popped 6 at a time 2-3 times a day or more depending on her mass supply from her pain dr who was reserved about hydro scips...but gave her trams like candy//trams can be deadly if taken by the person who has a "liking" for them/they can be a real nightmare

any drug that is addicting should be used with extreme caution if at all for any addict or alcoholic//substance abuser..i think there r those who can do sumpin like using trams for detox//or sub for detox//then there r the those who make these "step down drugs/in some cases/step up drugs" their new DOC//cos we r addicts..we just ARE!

One thing an addict can never forget//nor can they ever change//is the fact that we r and always will be addicts...and any attempts to use responsibly will as a rule slap us upside the head hard///tis a hard thing to accept..but in most cases this is very true//but lots of us are gluttons for punishment/an addict can be a tough cookie..and can take alot of slaps on our hard heads...but we fear wd like the plague///go figure!  (:
Hi Kelley

I loved what codeine done for me and I stopped the drinking too so that I could take more. Every thing that gives you that feeling is addictive, every thing we enjoy is addictive because we get pleasure from it. I never knew how much I was taking either. I was in denial. I tried tapering to but I have no self control cos I am an addict. I f you do not want to go cold turkey your pharmacist can dispense  them daily. But to be honest I thought tapering was harder than cold turkey. Too much clock whatching till ma next pill.. I would pretend I had a sore back to justified taking these. I did have a sore back but it healed and I was still taking them, I told my husband I had arthritis so that he would not question my pill popping. I would use the pills as a crutch for every day citations. I was taking 20-30 a day. I was get more pills in my husbands name as he never went to the doctor. I knew they were killing me but I could not stop. Then I decided when I got caught I told my husband every thing. There was no hiding any more. The only way to describe it is, we all have a monster in us mines is a codeine monster. I was just  me and him for three years. No one understood me like him. No one was there for me like him. He was my best friend my only friend and the only one that was top of my priorities. He was with me always. I decided to give up cold turkey, he told me you cant do it you need me to much, your sore you need me to take your pain away. I went through withdrawal, and in my head I told him you can beat me up and down but you ain't getting any, he threw my body up and down, then he tried to play mind tricks on me. I still never used. I know this sounds a little crazy what I am saying.  But the addiction the monster will tell you anything to protect itself  to control you isolate you and eventually kill you. He aint no friend. I am three weeks and one day clean. And only now do I feel normal. I have a son. I really do believe it does depend on length dose and your body the type and severity as well as length of withdrawal but it is defo worth it cos you are worth it. So when you here that voice in your head just have one or you cant do it. That monsters no ones friend. Sending you big hugs and kisses keep posting. And I know is sounds scary what I am saying but I am describing the addiction in my own words. x x x x x x x
I'm on my 3rd day and my 66th hour norco free. I am hanging by strings thinner than cob webs. I'm in the darkest place I have been in since I lost my Dad 4 years ago. I'm really in a lot of pain mentally more than physically. I can't stop crying and am more miserable than I ever could have imagined. Did anyone else go through this as well? I mostly heard about the body aches of withdrawl (withdrawal), but me, it's more mental than anything. Crippiling depression. Please please help.
Kelley - the rebound pain as excrutiating as it is, will dissipate - I promise, most people say it's just amplified by your brain not having the opiates, so there is a light.  Hang on, you can do it! Like you told me, baby yourself and grab your little beagle baby and ride out the storm.  I'm only day 3 and I dare say I feel a little better today pain wise than yesterday and I'm not craving a pain pill although I'm in a large amount of pain.  You can and WILL get through it, be strong my friend!  Sharon , p.s.  I will pray for you today!
I don't know if I can hang in there anymore... I really really don't.
Yes you can!!  Don't talk like that.  I am right where you are at this moment in detox...do not give up.  Please hang on.  Everyday you will start to feel a little better.  You don't want to start over again!!!  I will be praying for you.  Jeri
Stick with it......Now I'm really craving a vicodin*going into day 4), so I think at 900pm in a minute, I'm going to the store for some chocolate.......OMG - there is no one with as little will power as me, so if I can do it you can do it!  Hang tough.....eat some chocolate....I know the pain is bad and the cravings are bad but it will all pass.......think of life before the pills and remember you didn't get here overnight, so it won't go away overnight....I have to tell myself that about the 50 lbs I gained over two years taking vicodin and could never lose it back, now I KNOW I can lose it without anything stopping me (except for the chocolate cravings which I swear were made worse with the hydro's)
YOU CAN AND WILL GET THRU THIS!  Be strong and God bless, Sharon
Well I made it to my fourth day. Had some pretty weak moments there yesterday. This morning I woke up with a real bad cold. So this is pretty tough to say the least. The depression is the absolute worst part, and everyone knows how bad the body pain is, so for the mental pain to be worse than the physical must be pretty bad. I'm doubling up on my prozac every morning, and as soon as I have the strength to look up a good Phsyciatrist, I will be there in a New York minute. I just feel like I will never be the same w/o the norco. I tried to rationalize with my husband this morning about if I could just take no more than 10 a day, and he can dispense them and hide the rest as he pleases, would he be ok with that??? He said if I ever tough norco again, I will be out of the house. Pretty hard to hear when I'm this depressed and there is no end in sight... I'll post later. Everyone who is going through this or has gone through this is in my constant thoughts and prayers.
you will be happy again...and super job on four days!!  But the body and mind take longer than 4 days to heal from years of destruction.  Trust the folks here...by the time you reach double digits in days...you will feel like a new person.  Keep fighting...for me the mental part in the worst...to feel basically empty...but IT WILL PASS.

hang in there, girl! You know, it's hard to hear this, but your husband said the right thing. going back is not an option for any of us. Im sure there are many that wish they had a strong husband today. He knows you can take even 1. So good for him. I hope that you can see that too. I know what you're going through stinks, bad! I am sorry you have to go thru it too. I dont wish that on anyone. Keep posting and let us know how you are. Much love.
I'm at 96 hours norco free!!!! I can NOT believe that I have made it this far. I'm hurting so bad emotionally, i just can't believe it. It's as painful as loosing a loved one... I'm going to see a phsyciatrist tomorrow morning which I SO can not wait to do. Obviously I have some pretty major depression issues that the norcos were masking. (Scary.) I was curled up in a ball crying unconsolibly for most of the day today. The best advice I could give to anyone who is aboiut to detox, tell your doctor or see a psyciatrist first! I so wish I would have done that, for me the emotional pain far out weighs the physical. Did anyone else go through crippiling dpression like this? When should I start feeling better? I'm over the worst, right?
Also I have another question... I woke up with a horrific cough and cold this morning, so I did take about 2 tsp of my cough syrup with codeine... No high what so ever from that stuff, I actually don't like it... Do you think that taking that today has derailed all of my progress from detoxing from Norco's???
Kelley,

Read this it will explain everything

There is a natural chemical that our brain produces that is called Dopamine. This chemical is what stimulates our pleasure center and also what lets our brain interprets what measures it needs to take for survival. So, picture if you will, the following. On one side of your brain you have a "sac" that contains the Dopamine, on the other side of your brain you have a receptor (For the rest of this post I'm going to refer to this receptor as a gate for easier explanation).

Now, in a normal, non addicted brain, Dopamine is released naturally after say a good meal or sex. In the normal course of things for instance, if we eat a steak dinner, the sac will release the normal amount of Dopamine, let's say one squirt. The gate opens, receives the Dopamine, we feel good and everything is as it should be. Now, drugs also release Dopamine only at a much higher level, so while a candy bar might release one "squirt" of Dopamine, drugs release up to 100 times the normal amount of Dopamine. So, when we first begin to use, we swallow a pill or shoot some Heroin, 100 squirts of Dopamine gets released causing the Euphoric feeling that leads us to use again. The problem now though is that after a while, that one gate cannot open fast enough to accept the unusually high amount of Dopamine that is being supplied, so being the amazing organ that the human brain is, it simply grows another gate to help it accomodate. So, now we have 2 gates that are open and want to be fed. So instead of needing to only take 1 or 2 pills a day, suddenly we find that we need 3 or 4. Now 200 times the normal amount of Dopamine is being released and the process continues, these 2 gates need help so the brain grows another, and another and another........Now we find ourselves needing 6 or 7 pills a day.

While this is happening our brain is led to believe that it now HAS to have this chemical to survive, just as it knows that it needs food and sex to live and to reproduce. It now thinks that without drugs it will die, for you see the brain doesn't know what we are giving it, just that it MUST have it or die. So, with continued use, our tolerance grows due to the extra gates that we have open, that need to be fed and fed on a consistant basis. So, as opposed to the normal brain that has it's one normal gate, an addict may have 20 or 30 gates now. This is why we can take drugs in a high enough dosage that it would kill a normal person but for us it is the amount that we need just to feed all those gates and keep ourselves normal.
So now, we decide to quit. Easy enough, right?, I mean, just stop swallowing the pills and all will be well (ever been told that?). Well, as you know, it's not tht easy and the reason why is when we suddenly take that drug away,stop feeding those gates, our brain goes into panic mode, it thinks it is dying. So, what follows? 7 to 10 days of extreme sickness (WD). Our brain is sending out distress signals just like it would if we quit eating (think for a minute what a human will do if they get hungry enough and then you can see why addicts will do things they never thought themselves capable of to get what they need.) Now, after the first few days, the brain begins to realize that it is not going to die and we start to physcially feel better. But that is by no means the end of the problem.

Think of those gates for a minute, wouldn't it be nice if when we quit they disappeared and everything went back to normal? Unfortunately, that is not the case, the addicts brain is forever altered. Those gates NEVER go away, we will always have all those extras. Now, this is where it is so difficult in early recovery. Ok, so we have quit taking drugs, we feel a little better, BUT now we eat a candy bar, the normal amount (that one squirt) of Doapmine is released, BUT ALL of those extra gates open to receive it and our brain starts to scream "IT'S NOT ENOUGH", which of course it is not, we have 30 gates opening, expecting to be fed and they get one little blast instead of what it is used to. This is why in early recovery anything that releases Dopamine needs to be reduced or eliminated if possible. Of course we have to eat, we can't eliminate that of course but have you ever noticed when you first got clean that you found yourself overeating or craving right after a good meal? We crave after we eat because those gates are open and we may overeat trying to satisfy the need for excess Dopamine. That is why it is a good idea to avoid sweets or products like NyQuil, because they contain sugar and alcohol, which "teases' those gates unnecessarily.

Now, while those gates never go away, the good news is that after we are clean for awhile, they do become less sensitive. Eventually even though they are still there, fewer will open and things return to as close to normal as we will ever be able to get to. So, basically we have them, they are laying dormant and if we get say a good 6 months to a year clean time, they pretty much leave us alone. BUT, how many times have you heard an addict say that they were clean for a while and thought they could just use recreationally now and control it? Of course we can't control it, once we take that first pill (or whatever) again, the HUGE amount of Doapmine is released and ALL of those dormant gates are wakened and our tolerance is just as high as it always was. We don't have to build it back up, we pick right back up at the amounts that we are accustomed to. Or how many times have you seen someone who never had a drinking problem get clean from pills and then become an alcoholic? They think that if they are not taking their DOC they will be ok. But remember, our brain doesn't know if we are feeding it Vicodin, Heroin or whiskey. All it knows or cares about it is the end result that the substance produces.

Now, we are getting clean, the WD's are over, we are not using any other substance but yet we are miserable, can't sleep, are depressed, anxious, etc, etc....Now, why is this, it's not fair, right?, I mean, we did what we were supposed to and yet we feel so ABNORMAL and it seems to last forever. Well, the reason for this is simple, when we were growing all those extra gates and training our brain to rely on a unnatural chemical, we ACTUALLY, PHYSCIALLY altered the chemical makeup in the brain. So, now we may be clean but we are left with a bunch of synopsis (sic),and receptors that are in essence "misfiring". We feel the way we do because our brain in no longer functioning normally. This does eventually heal but it is not a quick process by any means. Our brains have to repair all the damage we did when we went in and rearranged it's furniture so to speak. Usually this takes anywhere from several months to a year. The longest time belonging to those whose DOC is opiated based, such as Vicodin, Percocet, Oxycontin and Heroin. This is why such extreme caution has to be use in early recovery and also why so many addicts relapse.

There is life/light after drugs....gotta give it some time tho! (:
submitted by worried878
Sorry for the long post.  Actually I ran out of charactors had to finish up with another one.  I hope this helps.  The rest of the previous post is at the bottom of this one.  GOOD LUCK.......KEEP THE FAITH.......YOU CAN DO THIS.  Here you go!

It take so long to feel normal again that most of us give up and return to the drug induced normality that they are used to.  I mean, how long can you go through living everyday just not caring about anything? Most can't get through that. BUT, if you stay strong, have a support system and be patient, one day you discover that you can smile again and while it may only last a few seconds, it is a real feeling, a twinkle of the REAL feelings we used to feel. Then you begin to have these feelings more and more.  Then one day you are actually excited about sumpin or just feel happy cos it is a sunny day! And you begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  You become confident you are gonna reach that light very soon.  And you will if you KNOW you will.  The light is always there, shining so very brightly, waiting on you to reach out for it again. And the light forgives all.

submitted by worried878
Hey Dano, wow, that was a lot of good information. Pretty scary, but good to know. Your right, I feel like I don't know how much longer I can go on like this. It's SO scary. I was only on vicodin for about 7 months... Do you think I'm going to have an equally hard time as say someone who has been on it for years or more? Thanks so much for all of your words of wisdom, they help so much. :)
Kelley,

I'm not a doctor, but I'd think the fact that you've been only using for 7 months, you should recover faster then someone using longer.  But as you know everyone is different.  I used for 9 months and was feel emotionally much better in 2-3 weeks.  I to had a very very hard time with the depression thing.  But I promise you stick it out and it will get much better.  
Day 5 is here!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I DID IT I DID IT OH YEAH YEAH YEAH!!!!!!!!!! I'm feeling worlds better today! Just about back to my old self. The depression has lifted quite a bit too. I even got in to see my Psychiatrist today, I confessed everything to her, and I'm on a real good plan to stay recovered and to never EVER relapse. Man, I saw the depths of hell, that was some of the worst mental and physical pain I have ever been through. My best advice to anyone who is going to detox is to have a good plan in action before day 1 starts. Know it's going to be a miserable 4 or 5 days, DEFINITELY visit with a Psychiatrist before hand (you never know who bad the depression is going to be, it almost got me to relapse on day 3 it was so crippling.) If you have a good plan set in, than it is so very possible. I didn't have any kind of plan and I got through it... It's just a lot easier to arm yourself with every knowledge possible. My Psychiatrist said that quitting opiates is one of the hardest drugs to kick, it's up there with heroin!!! So just know if you can get through that first five days, you can probably get through ANYTHING. To all of my friends on here that have encouraged me, educated me, and supported me, I can't thank you enough. You were seriously half the reason I got through this, and I will be forever grateful to you. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone who is going through this, who is about to go through this and who has made it through this. I know there is still a long road ahead of me, and I will have to continue to work at it, but I'm in it for the long haul. Being trapped in "pill hell" is way worse than going through a five day detox. The lovely light at the end of the tunnel is so rewarding. Love and blessings to everyone, and thank you again from the bottom of my heart.... ~Kelley~
Go KM! I am so glad day 5 is done & that you saw your shrink! Support like that as well as from your husband is vital for recovery. I was afraid to confess & I've been married 20 years! He is very supportive & it has been nice when I'm "jonesing" at night to have him hold me. Every other time I tried he never knew what I was going thru. There is a girl on this forum, Catlover 8 who doesn't have the support of her spouse but has to rely on her friend. Look her up & tell her your story. You are doing super! So proud of you! XOXOX
Did anyone else have a really rough day with day 6??? I was doing SO good yesterday, and thought I had really made that "turning point". Then this afternoon, it was almost like I was back at day 3! I mean it was tough. Everything in my body and mind was begging begging BEGGING me to take a Norco. Is this how it's going to be for the rest of my life?? One day good, then the next day bad????
Totally normal! Here I am getting into bed & I have a horrible headache. Tried aspirin & motrin since I've had this headache all day & nothing. I'd sell my soul for a few little yellow friends right now. if only I could sleep. You are doing fine. Some days will be better than others! XOXOX
Oh thank you! Man, I feel like I am seriously back sliding! And your right, the depression is a MAJOR factor. I have never been in so many dark places in my life over these past 6 days... Those Norco's sure do mask a LOT. How far are you in your recovery? I heard after the first 10 days, it's pretty good from there on out... Is that true? I saw my Phsyciatrist 2 days ago, and she put me on 30mg of Cylexa. So we will see if that helps... I just want these horrific cravings to go away already!!! I don't know how much for fight I have left in me.  :/
Day 7 is gooooooooooood! :)
Tramadol withdrawals were wayy worse then percs... they are all they mental high with very little actual pain relief. bad bad thing to start. please dont.
Hey KM!
Oops!
Wrong button! Day 13 for me. Horrible day at work. I was biting peoples heads off & tinkling down their necks all morning! Came home at lunchtime & went to my closetwhere I always hid my stash in one of my boots. Checked all over the closet to see if I dropped any - sometimes I'd drop one & find it in a shoe or something on the floor or the dry cleaning bag! I was like a madwoman ony kness tearing up the closet! After about 10 minutes I gave up without finding any norco. DISAPPOINTING! Luckily I was also hungry so I ate & felt better. Tonite I actually feel sleepy! Proud of you girl! Keep going! XOXOX
Hi all I have too been addicted to Norcos for about 3 years now. It started when my brother had shoulder surgery. They gave him Norcos for his pain. One night he gave me one to try because I had some back pain. At it was all downhill from there. After his prescription ran out I found a lady that sold them so I was spending about $300 a month on pills. Now I'm engaged to e married and my fiancé doesn't know how bad my addiction is. He know I use to have an addiction to them but doesn't know that I am back on them. I work about 70 hours a week as a restaurant manager and I am only 23. Norcos seem to e the only way I can stay relaxed and not stress over every little things. I want to quit a because I have to because I can't afford it and also because lately it has not been making me feel good all the time but make ever emotion I have more intense than the next. If Im irritated it makes me EXTREMELY irritated and he same for when I'm happy. I wanted to post because this is day 2 of not taking 12 a day I take 1 a day to calm the chills and sweats. But I have also been taking work out vitamins and trying to run a lot. I feel ok so far but I know I have to give up the 1 a day soon also. But I can't seem to wrap my head around dealing with this next year ( planning a wedding, and my 70 hour a week job) without these pills. =(
Thanks for that link.  Very informative and thorough.
I read your profile.. just found this sight ..going without norcos for 29hours does it get any worse then this? I live with my mom she thinks I have the flue.. this would break her heart if she knew the truth .. been taking 5 a day for two years.. I could of taken more but never took more then that..
Okay I am in severe depression and a single mom my irratibility is off the ,charts! I feel like I'm not going to make it...this is day 8
Took norco for close to a year straight 6 to 10 pills a day. The depression is crippling but what's worse is the fatigue I can't even get up to cook my kid a meal what do I do
Welcome to the forum, helpme.....this thread that you have posted on is over a year old....so if you can copy and paste your question....or just post a new one...you will get lots more feedback, support and help that way.

At the top of this page, there is an orange post a question button..hit that and post your question.....that will get you to the most current forum activity~
I really enjoyed what you wrote! I have been 6yrs into this and have just got thru the first 12hrs! Gosh it's aweful! Some words here are heaven scent when they relate to you! I noticed yrs ago that I wasn't much of a movie fan like I used to be! I used to consider it art and also stopped being moved by music! As a child I was always singing on the school bus! I always thought I had this understanding of God because green grass would give me such joy! Your words helped me realize what I was truly missing! Thank you!
Hi everyone! I can't believe I'm here. I'm not even sure where this all started, maybe a knee surgery 3 years ago. Anyway, I'm now upto at least 10 hydros a day (this is anywhere from Vicodin, narco, and sometimes oxy). I'm sick of this running my life. I just took 3 of 5 narcos I have left. I was prescribed 60 on Tuesday and seeing how fast they went scared and discusted me. Tomorrow I go cold turkey. No one knows (family, boyfriend etc) so I have to continue work and life through this. Any support or advice would be great. Had to put this out there as I need accountability. Thanks for all your encouraging post
Terrified but done!