Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Sleeping pills help?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Sleeping pills help?

I do not have access to xanax or any type of prescription sleeping aide, but I did use Tylenol PM last night and it did nothing. Should I just not take anything at all? does over the counter sleep aides even work at this point?

Thanks!
I found that NOTHING helped at first. The teas, melatonin, valerian root, etc. But, it may for you. I tried many benadrylls, et al.
Nothing but more buzzing and more wide awake-ness.
S*cked.
Don't nap if you can at all help it, and make sure you exercise. It helps rebuild all that stuff that has been depleted.
Wish I could help more, but some things we just have to go thru...
Best,
Amy
I'm trying pot tonight was using Xanax til i ran out :-/
my first couple of nights of detox nothing helped...tried melatonin along with an allergy med...then nightquil...nothing at all helped.  my husband had some neurontin...it s for nerve pain...it helped the best on day 6 or 7....i used it for about 2 months...had no problem when i stopped...then i used like a grocery name sleep aid for many months after....i just had to sleep....i still use them occasionally when needed...they were never a problem when i quit them either....i think it took me about 8 weeks to get back into a regular sleep mode but everyone is different...wishing you zzzzzz s...maria :)
I have tried a couple of times to go cold turkey from oxy.  the first time was so horrible because of the restless leg and i could not sleep for nothin.  I tried nyquil and over the counter sleep aids that did not help a bit.  However, i did go to my dr and she did prescibe ambien and this time around it worked like a charm.  that too can be very addicting.  I only used it for the first two nights and last night went at it cold turkey.  I know you said you do not have access to that though.  You will probably get better rest in a few days and then the tylenol pm might work better.  I am a rookey at this myself so don't have much info to give.  But that is what worked for me.  good luck and hang in there.  Also, please note that like i said....prescription sleep aids can be addicting so in no way do i encourage taking that on a regular basis.  but knowing what you are going through, thought i would give my input.  If you talk to your dr she or he may be able to help.  
try the 2 supplements from the health food store from the "amino acid protocol" one is a sleep aid and the other is a natural valium its called L-theanine.
i bought them yesterday and got a pretty good nights rest. finally!
took one of the sleep aids and one of the L-theanine. before i bought those i drank a cup of the night time theraflu stuff and that helped. good luck. we do need our rest thats for sure.