Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Suboxone ?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Suboxone ?

I am going to an appointment to get put on Suboxone to treat my withdrawls from taking oxys. I have never done this before. They say the visit is $80 and then you get a prescriptions to buy at the pharmacy and then I see the doctor every 2 weeks. How much are these prescriptions?
I went cold turkey last time , I can't do that this time. Everytime I get the withdrawls I go back to the Oxys
hey welcome to the forum.....i didnt do the suboxone thing i went c/t....i'm just curious..how many oc's r u doing?  wishing u lots of luck..im sure someone whose done the sub will answer u in just a few....hang in there
Hey, thanks for the welcome I have been doing 2 80mg oxys a day or more or less whatever I can do. Today is day 1 of withdrawls I have went cold turkey before but this is way worse because I have been doing oxys way more.
I am currently on 8mg of Suboxone once daily.  It has helped me in more ways than I can describe.  First, it took away the withdrawals- Physical and Mental.  Second, I no longer have cravings.  Thirdly, I tried 400mgs of Morphine while on the Sub and felt nothing.  The list goes on and on, but I think you understand my feelings on this drug.  The cost is a lot with no insurance, like $7 a pop, but how much more can a pill addiction be anyway?
Be as honest and upfront with your doc.  They have heard it all before and it will help you to get your life straightened out.
Good luck.

Luke
your very welcome....i was doing 3-5   80mg oc's a day....so i know how u feel..it is hard....congrats on day 1......i know w/d sucks....but it is possible....ill be by your side..im here if u need me....
I have no insurance. So since my appointment is on Sat. what type of process do the doctors put you through. Do the doctors have you buy one or so pill prescriptions at a time or well I am just new at this and wondering how it all works??
Thanks for your advice and help
I think suboxone is going to help me so much , my boyfriend is going to at the same time I go they got us in together.
I am about to go the Suboxone route also.  I have had 9 knee surgeries in the past 5 years & started taking the oxys about 6 months ago.  I don't snort them just take them by mouth, but I am taking like 6-80mgs per day.  I have never had a problem stopping taking any other drug.  Having had to take vicodin & other pain killers for my knees, but the withdrawls from the oxy are just too bad.
I am interested in hearing about peoples experiences with Suboxone & how bad the withdrawls still were?  I really don't want to wait until after the holidays, but I also don't want to be out of comission for them.  I have started feeling really anxious lately & wonder if anyone has experienced this on oxys or if this is a whole other problem I am going to have to deal with?
I also don't want to stay on Suboxone for very long.  I just want my normal life back.  is there anyone who has only taken the suboxone for a week or two?
I am currently on my fourth week with suboxone. I am taking two 8mgs twice daily. Suboxone is the closest thing to miracle for opiate addictions. For the past two years I have been taking oxy's and Heroin everyday. The withdrawals were terrible, after several attempts at trying to use methods to quit at home Ive given up. I have used up every medical clinic and urgent care in southern Wisconsin, i decided to let the parents know and go for treatment. I went to a detox that was incredibly uncomfortable and then to a two week out patient treatment where i started suboxone. At first the suboxone was incredible, it took away all withdrawals and cravings, but after a couple of weeks I have cravings again and am always tempted to go back to using. I know I have to continue treatment and have an appt. on the 13th for after -treatment that i think will really help.
If you are questioning whether or not to get on suboxone i would do it. So far it has been the best treatment Ive encountered and has saved my life along with a lot of others. A huge role in whether or not the treatment will work is if you actually want to quit using.  Once youve decided that youve had enough, switch.
I will give you my two experiences on the SUB.  My first was a year ago in rehab.  They gave me 8 mgs in the morning and 6 at night.  This dosing cycle (two mgs less each night) lasted a week.  After that week, I started withdrawals all over again.  I don't know if it was the Sub or the Methadone.  I am inclined to think it was the Methadone b/c that has such a long half life and was my DOC.
After treatment I relapsed and eventually got caught stealing meds from my Grandpa's wife.  My Grandma died in 96 and he is remarried.  Anyway, the cat was out of the bag, again, and I was able to convince my family that I should give Suboxone a try.  
My doctor is in Fargo, ND and I am in SD, about 2 hours away.  He gave me 8mgs at my first visit and gave me a weeks supply.  I came back and said it was working well.  He then gave me a month and I came back again with everything going great.  No w/d's, no craving, had my energy back, etc.  He subsequently wrote me prescriptions for 2 months and then 3 months.  At this last visit I went early b/c I had been taking the 8mg in the morning, plus 4 in the evening.  I have no idea why b/c it did nothing.  I guess that the junkie is still inside.  He was completely understanding and empathatic about it, and we both agreed that I should go back to a 1 month script for a little bit until I get my dosing squared away.
My situation is a little bit unique b/c I live so far away, but this doctor is totally awesome and is 100% on board to help me with my addiction.  I don't know how long I will be on, but Dr. says I can stay on until I am comfortable coming off.
I have chronic pain in my neck, plus mild arthritis in neck, back and hands (which sucks for being 27, a genetic thing I guess) and this medicine helps that, too.
I have nothing bad to say about suboxone and that is just my experience.  If you have any other questions I would be happy to answer.

Luke
You posted on both forums...I believe you have some responses on the other forum also. Just wanted to alert you.
So were you able to continue your normal schedule or did you have to take a few days off?
Actually, I began to run low a few days before my appointment.  I took 4mgs for two days and 2 mgs for two days and none on the day of the appt which was in the afternoon and experienced no w/d's, and if any they were mild/mental if you know what I mean.  Now I am on my regular schedule and can notice a difference in a more stable "sense of well-being"
Hope this makes sense, but if it doesn't or if you meant something else let me know.
I meant when you first day you took the Sub.  Were you sick at all from wd from the other drugs?  I know you have to be withdrawing to take the sub, but after you took it the first time were you okay?
Sorry about my mistaken rambling.  I was taking tramadol (all I could find) right before I went in.  It had been only 24 hours and the doc said it should be longer.  I wasn't in full w/d's, but the Sub worked and didn't precipitate w/d's.  I've heard that if you take it too soon it can be a real bad deal, but as I alluded to before, I was only a day without anything and I was okay.
Sub makes some people very sleepy or very anxious speedy the first day or two. when I used it in June for a 10 day detox I took 2 days off of work in order to adjust.
How long was it from when you took your last pill until you took the sub?   I am going to the dr. on Monday & I plan on starting the sub on Tuesday.  I will obviously talk to him about this, but I was just wondering what your personal experience was?  I've heard usually people wait about 18 hrs.?  I am definatly looking for the least amount of discomfort, but will do what ever I have to.
How are you "doing" your Oxy's?  Snort, chew or take them the way you are supposed to?  If you are swallowing them without breaking the time release, you should wait probably 24 hrs at least before the Suboxone.  Just my suggestion.
If you are snorting or chewing, I would say you are safe at the 18 hour level, but I am not a doctor.
I just take them like normal.  I obviously don't want to take it to soon, but I'll ask the doctor 7 if he says 24 hours that's what I'll do.  It's only 24 hours right?:) Probably a really long 24 hours though.
I'm just very nervous about this whole thing.  It's like all I can think about. I wish I would have made my appointment earlier in the week so I didn't have to sit & think about it all weekend.
how you are doing?  Have you started the sub yet?  I've been on it since July so if there are any questions I can answer for you, please let me know.  My email address is in my profile along with some research on sub that you might find helpful.  
I call the doc in my area on thursmy appointment isn't until tues.I had one pill today (oc) I'm affraid my wdswill be so bad i'm going to use before tues. It also sounded like he must think you're a good candidate for this.Has anyone ever been sent away?
Sub. is the best - if you do it correctly, and most importantly, if you start to get help and support (in my case, I started going to meetings once I started the sub.) at the onset.  I did a 6 week detox on sub., and now I'm just about 11 months clean - and I go to meetings regularly, etc.
I was snorting 200-300mg of oc's a day and decided i didn't want to die.  I went through a few days of hell and then started the sub.  this was truly the best way to do it.  although i went through hell, it was not nearly as bad as it could have been.  the whole story is insane and very long, but if anyone has q's let me know i'm here.