Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Tramadol and weight loss

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Tramadol and weight loss

So I when i started Tramadol i was around 150 to 155 lbs a solid size 10 ( i'm 5'4") Since then I have gone down to a size 4-6 and convinced myself I lost a few pounds and that designers were putting smaller numbers on bigger clothes. Well today i bought a scale (4.99 at Ikea, good deal!) so I hopped on it and I have lost over 20lbs. I was never trying to lose weight and this loss has come upon in the last 6 months. I'm not excercising any more then before can the tramadol just do that? Is it from being up all night? Is this a really bad sign or normal?
Tags: tramadol
I've taken tramadol on and off a few times. I didn't loose weight. I'm not a Dr but I was wondering if you should get a check up with blood work, just to be sure nothing else is going on. 20 lbs in 6 months is alot to loose.
I've also been taking tramadol for the last 6 months or so and have lost about 20 pounds.  I think it is from the drug, even though there isn't a lot of information about tramadol and weight loss that I have found...
Oh Wow!  I have also been taking this for about 6 months and lost about 20 lbs.  I was already a petite 5'2, 123 lbs and now I am 102 lbs. I was prescribed Tramadol for chronic back pain after the birth of my daughter.  After a second opinion, turns out, I probably have scoliosis.  On top of that, I am going through a divorce with a 15 month old and it is very stressful. I am really scared, I don't want to lose any more weight and not sure what to do.  I don't have the appetite that I did before my baby.  I have tried Boost Plus nutritional drinks to help, but they are expensive for me and my situation at the moment.  Any ideas, thoughts, or suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Thanks :)
yes it can cause major weight loss for some and for others it makes them crave sugers and they gain .
Hi....if you need to gain weight, GNC, etc stores have powders that will help you gain weight; I recommend you continue to exercise though because you can't spot gain or spot reduce.

I also believe stress is a major weight loss catalyst for some folks...it is and always has been for me.

Good Luck & Take Care of Yourself,

Guy
Wow, Im glad you lost some weight. I am taking tramadol 100's/ for back pain. But in my pain I havent done alot of anything so I put on some weight...Hate it! Im 5'6 155lbs. Its like all in my stomach too. I just started taking it two days ago...How long till you saw a weight difference?....How many mg are YOU taking?.....Did you loose weight cause it just made you not eat at all, or much less??
lots of questions...thank you
I just joined.  Have been taking tramadol for about 4 months and have lost about 25-30 pounds.  Been eating like a horse, trying to gain weight, but not working.  Going to have a hip replacement in 4 days and am concerned about going through the surgery with all the weight loose.  Any suggestion?
I used to use Tramadol and lost about 20 lbs too.  At one point I got down to 92lbs (I am 5 feet).  Two years ago, (I still have my tramadol prescription) I starting taking Aleve instead thinking it was better for my system.  I gained 30 lbs!  Turns out Aleve is not broken down and passed thru the liver and tramadol is.  I am back on Tramadol and have the hyperness and dry mouth but hopefully it will get the weight off.  By the way, I have fibromyalgia.
If you don't want to be up all night stop taking Tramadol around 4 or 5 pm.  It does cause insominia.
BEEN ON TRAMADOL SINCE FEB. 2ND AND AS OF THE DATE OF THIS POSTING 2/6, I HAVE ALREADY LOST 5 LBS!  STAYING AWAY FROM ALEVE COMPLETELY!
I was on Tramadol, and lost alot of weight. I went from 166 to 145 in few months. Now Im off it, and I haven't gained no weight back.
I started taking Tramadol a few days ago and my appetite is gone.  I need to loose 15 pounds.  Is it safe?
I have taken tramadol for 2 yrs now...I lost 65lbs on it. I would really like to find out how to get off of tramadol though...
been taking Tramadol for a week now . down to 191 from 197. I am alert, but cant find enough to do. really winds me up. sleep about 4 and a half hours a night. I feel good though. doesn't seem to affect me at the gym, still strong. just get a little dizzy at times.
I have also lost 30 pounds with tramodol. Finding it hard to lose more weight for some reason. I would like to lose 15 more. I would be at 120. I am five foot 2 inches. I think 120 would be a healthy weight. I hope my doctor keeps me on it for a while longer.
Wow I thought I was just crazy someone pulling a fast one on me or something.. had Rotator cuff surgery and was put on Tramadol just a couple days ago.. and have lost 8lbs! a lil nauseous, but still eating.. and just had surgery so certainly not exercising.. although I won't be on it long because I'm also on blood thinners for a clotting disorder.
Not safe at all, VERY addictive!!
I have been on Tramadol for neck pain since July last year and have lost a 15lbs!! I  only take one a day, so god knows what I'd be like if I had to take more!!
Did anyone sleep really well with Tramadol at first? That's what happened to me and now I won't take it after 8:30 in the mornings as i stay awake basically all night or just cat nap. This is my first month on it for back and leg pain.
Have you read anything on the forums about tramadol?  It is very addicting and difficult to get off of.  I would ask my doc for something different.

To answer your question, yes Tramadol messes with your sleep.

Good luck!
Hi, Ultram is very harmful and addicting.  Please quit before you get addicted and start taking more then you should, just like the rest of us. The reason is that ultram is an opiate, although the lowest of all of them, like oxycontin, etc. I just started weaning off yesterday.  Everything on here will tell you that weaning off is pure hell with all the withdrawal symptoms.  I fear that you will get addicted to it also.  I started taking it for fibromyalia (fibromyalgia), big mistake.  Doctors are not knowledgeable about what happens when you need to quit and never tell you about the drug when they first prescribe it.  I lost a few pounds and felt much healthier before I starting taking it. Please consider trying another drug that does not fall in this catagory ok?
Insomnia? That would be an atypical side effect. For many people the opiate-like effect of Tramadol often causes drowsiness.

Weight loss?  I too have started to lose weight after only 6 weeks of taking between 50 and 100mg a day. The interesting thing is for the last two years I have exercised at least 3 times a week and pretty hard too. During the time I've been taking Tramadol, I have not been to the gym once. I put some of this down to a reduced appetite but believe there must be another pharmacological reason also.

Mood Improvement?  I have noticed a significant improvement in my overall mood which has been more elevated than usual. I have bipolar type 2 so I have mood swings from high to low. Tramadol has almost completely eliminated my lows. I read that it has an affinity for serotonin receptors so that would explain the enhanced mood. It has allowed me to cut my bioplar medication in half. For me, Tramadol is a wonder drug. All benefit and zero negative side effects. I now have to convince my doctor to prescribe it for these off-label reasons. I am currently getting it from my dog's veterinarian.
i would also like to say to all of whom are taking tramadol...you may become addicted ....if you stop taking it you may have withdrawals that are horrible....i do not wish anyone  to endure this ...so just BE REALLY CAREFUL..
Tramadol is the absoulte worse drug to try and get off of...my whole adult life, from 22 to now the age of 37 has been consumed by Ultram, Ultram, Ultram...do yourself a favor, DO NOT TAKE IT if YOU DO NOT HAVE TO...the serotonin reuptake inhibiter in this drug is what you are taking and is going to wreck havoc on your brain, believe me! Tramadol most certainly causes insomnia, and not sleep induced euphoria as other pain killers do, b/c of the other chemical makeup in this pill...I am a 15 year devoted tramadol addict, trust me.  Today I am 14 days tram free, and it is a struggle to even get up in the mornings still, and I know that I have several more months of feeling like this, it is not worth it....I thought it was a wonder drug to, but it gets worse and worse the longer you stay on it...just everyone, please do research on it, it is nuts
I can't eat at all when I take tram. Nothing!  My stomach doesn't want food and it won't take it
I started Tramadol a few wks ago and took it for 4 days and lost like 6 lbs without trying.. I couldn't believe it, I have PCOS and weightloss is an uphill battle for me. I changed nothing. I stopped  for couple of wks to see if it was the Tram doing it and the weightloss stopped so I started back with it 2 days ago and again i can feel weightloss again.
My Dr. originally gave it to me cuz of severe ear pain which I have to have tubes in now..

Taking Tramadol for weight loss is very dangerous. First, it is not what it is intended for and second, it is addictive and you are subject to seizures when you stop taking it. You need to find a new way to deal with your weight issues. Again, this is very dangerous.
I am currently tapering trams. I started taking them 2 months ago and I have dropped 40 lbs. I need the weight loss though. I weighed 295 now I'm at 255. Although I like the weight loss, I don't like being addicted.

Fir me I noticed I had a huge loss in appetite. I could eat two whole plates of food before, now I'm lucky if I can a half of a plate in me.
I just wanted to let you all know how very very addicting Tramadol is! Yes you feel like superman right now. You feel on top of the world. Your body will want more & more. I lost almost 40lbs. I was a Tramadol junkie. I had to have it. This was a NIGHTMARE to withdraw from!!! Please do not put yourself through this as I did. I was a long time user. I was sooo very sick withdrawing from this. My skin felt as if it was crawling. I went into severe depression along with rapid mood changes. I ached everywhere. I was cold but I was sweating. Vomiting, shaking, no sleeping. By day 3 I ended up in the ER having seizures. My body was physically addicted. They explained to me it has the same withdraws as heroin :( I did recieve medicine to help with the withdraws. I also was then gradually weened off. Still this was very hard. There were days months into being sober that I felt like I could not get up in the mornings. Please do not make the same mistake as me!
I stopped taking tramadol after being on it for 2 months (and after losing 20lbs during that time) but I thought the medicine wasnt really doing anything for me.... however once I stopped taking it, not only was the withdrawl (withdrawal) procesS HORRIBLE- I thought I was seriously going to DIE... the weight gain started again and my pain was back instantly. (I suffer from PCOS, 2 herniated discs and awful, horrible, terrible sciatica pain) So I am back on tramadol- and within three days I have lost 5 pounds- and my pain is much MUCH better.... I hope I'm not on Tramadol forever- but my pain is so intense I dont know how else I could possibly function without it!  I take 300mg a day.  =(  
Be very careful with what you're doing here.  Tramadol is EXTREMELY addicting and as you said, the withdrawal is horrible.  Please reconsider taking this drug again - losing weight feels great, I understand that.  But at this cost?  Definitely NOT.

I hope you find your way off this drug.  There are a lot of alternative non-narcotic pain meds - maybe they would help you?  I hate to see another victim of this poison.  Getting off this drug was the worst experience of my life.  And I think somewhere inside you know how bad it is - as you went through the wd's, right?  Any drug that makes you feel that bad when you stop taking it is seriously bad for you.  Please talk to your Dr. about finding a new way to manage your pain.  I wish you much luck.
Seriously?  Try offering a balanced picture guys for people researching this drug.

For some, a SYNTHETIC opioid (tramadol is NOT an opiate), can cause addiction symptoms.

For some, who are predisposed to addiction tendencies, and who abuse prescription drugs in the elusive hunt for a "high", it is possible to experience addiction with this drug.

For some, it is possible to experience withdrawal symptoms.

But guess what?  Some of us experience NONE of these adverse sequela.  

I take 50-200 mg/day.  Have for almost a year.  I vary how much I take, depending on the pain level I am experiencing  that day.  Some days/weeks, none.

I can, and do, stop cold turkey one day to the next,and experience ZERO adverse sequela.

I wish I experienced the phenomenal weight loss.  It temporarily curbed my appetite - for about three months when I first started - and I lost 15 lbs.  I have gained double that back while still on tramadol.

I wish I experienced the phenomenal SNRI of this drug.  It helps....for a while.  Then it stops working as whatever threshold, at least in *my* brain, is reached.  If I stop for a while, sometimes this positive side effect comes back when I resume, sometimes it does not.  A real craps shoot regarding the AD effects.

Tramadol is a great drug for some...not so much for others.  Just like any other drug out there.  I do recommend trying this before something like gabapentin, whose adverse sequela are significant.  

But like anything in life, do your homework and YMMV will still apply.  But have a frank discussion with a MD/DO you trust and respect and see if it can help you.
I'm glad tramadol seems to work for you, and I'm surprised.

I have done the research and talked to many many doctors.  Tramadol IS an opiate and an anti-depressant.  I only wish I read more success stories with this drug.  The majority of information I have found about a person's experience with this drug has been BAD.

So please be careful as you continue using this drug.  Many found it to be a lifesaver in the beginning, only to realize with time it became a horrible nightmare to stop taking it.

I hope it stays a positive experience for you I really do.  :)
I have been on Tramadol for a year now. I take 300mg or more per day for back pain. I'm wondering why you would have to go off of it? I am frightened reading about withdrawal and hope to not have to go off of it.
On tramadol for about 4 months and lost 40 pounds
All I can offer here kazzy is try to stop taking if for a few days and see how you feel.  If you find it to be the horrible experience I did, then I think you need to ask yourself how much you think it's helping.  In my opinion, any drug that makes me feel like I want to die when I haven't taken it is poison.  Good luck to you.  :)
I'm sorry - my reply was for you mama - but I suppose it could apply to anyone here.  Good luck.  :)
I've been taking tramadol for 4 months, I stayed the same weight for 2 months, but in 10 weeks I have dropped 32 lbs, I've been takin it for back probs but I must say it is nor a good thing, ok it helped for the pain bur my body has become reliable on it, im now in the process of detox and it very hard, real bad effects, wish I'd of never started taking it!!
I was on tramadol for about 8 ,months i lost about 25 pounds from it... i was 135 and now i am 110.. I stopped taking it 4 months ago and the weight has not come back.. I didn't have any withdrawl (withdrawal) when i stopped taking it however this past week I took a few for pain,I had injections in my wrists for pain but that has worn off.and I am NOT getting any more injections (8 total!, 4 in each wrist). so i had to start taking the tramadol again, I only take it if I absolutely need it, I am not one to take any medication.. I was diagnosed with Parvovirus... VERY painful and debilitating! Its been over a year and I still have alot of problems from it.if anyone has had or now has parvovirus please email me ***@****
This stuff is crap to come off..I am attempting to wean off..I am on slow release 100mg and just started one every other day. I have the sweats,and chills, sneezing and feeling flu like. I did loose 10 lbs but had heart surgery so I attribute it to that. It seeems everyone is happy only for the weight loss. I can see women running to the MD'S because of "pain" and asking for Tramadol just to get the weight loss effect.This drug is very addictive and avoid it!!. I dont know the long term affects,but I do know what oxyconton has done to families. I dont want to be a statistic. I have tylenol 3's so I will be using them for the breakthrough pain. I know you cannot drink on this so I am sure It will cause damage like acetaminophen does..
Hello! The original post date for this thread is almost 2 years old. If you want to get a good response and write about your troubles start your own post. At the top of the page is a green "post a question" button, or next to it is blue writing "Back to Forum" if you want to see the current postings.
Start your own, new post. Are you addicted to opiates?
Good luck and hope to see you posting.
Stay strong,
Greatgreebo
I just started taking 50mg,2x daily for pain from cervical disc herniations. I keep hearing about weight loss and this drug. What amounts are people taking to lose weight? I'm really not interested in losing weight and just curious??
Taking tramadol to lose weight is the worst possible way to do that.  Good luck with your pain and be REALLY careful with the tramadol.  I was addicted to it for over 6 years and it got out of hand really quickly.  Good luck to you.
Tramadol....the slow kill pill.....sure you may lose weight....along with everything else.....
to some.....you may be willing to give it ALL to lose a couple of pounds.....just make sure you are.....willing.....when you are up all night puking your guts out......not able to quit puking your guts out or stand up straight for the severe abdominal cramping for DAYS.....make sure you are WILLING.....to suffer tremors all night long with restless legs and panic attacks every night for weeks....willing to go into a deep depression...that should be a breeze....throw in a couple of seizures that scare you into the emergency room to be treated like a drug abuser ...Tramadol doesn't discriminate....you WILL have an intimate experience of your own with Tram....just be WILLING.....
I don't mean to offend anyone here at all, if I do, I'm apologizing now.  It makes me fairly sick that some people are staying on this just to lose weight!  Prescription drugs aren't a weight loss system and they aren't supposed to be toyed with like that.  They can cause serious problems in the end if you continue taking them like that!  Eat healthy and drink lots of water and EXERCISE!!!!
It's been 6 weeks since I last posted and my doctor is now giving me 50mg 4x a day for my neck pain. It really helps my pain, but I have 0 appetite. I like the way I feel pain wise, but I can't do this anymore....gonna try an Osteopathy Doctor.
i've been taking 4 50mg's a day for a year now, and lost 18 lbs. that i didn't want to lose. i was 138lbs and built, now i'am at 120lbs. and everyone thinks i'am sick, i took them for the high, and now i'am paying for that choice, as i'am 3 days clean, but lord knows it's awful feeling to go through, but i'am going to stick it out. i need my weight back/ the tramadol's are a very addictive drug that everyone should stay away from./ i'am now taking advil just to pop something in my mouth, and try to trick my body into thinking i'am popping tramadol's, it help's a little, but i have to be strong about it.
I was having some debilitating back and neck pain.. I called my doctor and he prescribed Tramadol.. I am never hungry and after reading the comments, I see this is a common side effect.. My pain in my back/neck has subsided since I have been on this drug.. The not feeling hungry is common and I am glad that this was not in my head, but a true side effect... Thanks for all of the comments, they have settled my mind tremendously!
I took 50-150 mg of tramadol daily for three weeks and lost 10 pounds immediately.  I did NOT want to lose weight.  That was about 6 months ago.  I have not lost weight since but also I have not gained any weight back. I want to gain the 10 pounds back but it has been a struggle that leaves me not being able to go to my gym as often (I really don't want to lose any more weight), which leads me to not feeling as good as I do as when I do go to my gym.  I eat high fat foods such as tons of nuts, many glasses of whole milk, and anything that I have in the house that my body will ingest but I am NOT able to gain the weight back.  I would say that if you are NOT looking to lose weight, then stay away from the tramadol because it will make you lose weight and very quickly.  It should of been prescribed as a weight loss pill, as it helps to lose weight more so than any weight loss remedy that I see out in the markets.  
when u say additive how do u mean? also, I noticed numbness in my feet mainly...anyone else?
I TAKE TRAMADOL 50MG, NOT EVERYDAY. BUT FOR BACK PAIN.
JUST A FYI IT IS ADDICTIVE AND IT RELEASES SEROTONIN IN THE BRAIN MAKES U FEEL GOOD...  ALMOST SPEEDY GOOD.  I HAVE LOST 24 POUNDS I BELIEVE FROM TAKING IT. ITS ONLY BEEN 3 MONTHS SINCE I LOST THIS WEIGHT.  I LIVE IN JERSEY SO ITS NOT CONSIDERED A CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE IN THIS STATE. IT DOES TAKE AWAY YOUR APPETITE AND YOU FEEL GOOD. IT WORKS FOR PAIN WELL FOR ME. I AM NOT SURE I WANT TO LOSE ANYMORE WEIGHT THOUGH. I WORK IN HEALTH CARE FIELD, JUST BE AWARE IF YOU TAKE TRAMADOL... PLEASE CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR IF YOU ARE TAKING OTHER ANTI-DEPRESSANTS YOU DO NOT WANT SEROTONIN OVER LOAD ...........  
I thought it was just me. I normally have an appetite and want to eat frequently. I've noticed after 24 hours on this drug that I am not hungry.. I don't feel the anxiety that causes me to get hungry when I can't really be hungry in the first place. I hope I do lose some weight.. I lost 100 pounds since 2001 but it's hard to lose when I'm hungry all the time now... i really have to cut down my portions because I can't exercise much due to back problems... so I see a big difference in my appetite.
I have been taking it for 2 months and i have lost 30 lbs. I also exercise with weights and running. the drug decreases appetite and and has a thermogenic effect..it burns fat by increasing your metabolism. it also makes me sick in the morning untill i take my first dose.
There are healthier ways to lose weight than taking tramadol.  This drug is extremely addicting (for many of us) so please find another way!  It is NOT worth it believe me.
i have been taking 400mg per day for back p[ain for 3yrs now and each time i try to come off it its my definition of hell. i am a recovering addict and i too thought that my weight loss was great with tramadol. take it from me id rather go back to being a gym junkie and rather come off heroin, morphine, methamphetamines anything than to deal with the pain and anxiety of coming off tramadol. so people unless you want to take this drug everyday for the rest of your life and yes it will destroy your liver in time, than i suggest finding other alternatives to taking this drug. i too have been in hospital with seisures related to coming off it. I now have to take an antideppresant as a result of the chemical imbalance the long term use of this drug has caused in my brain. so from one weight concious tramadol addict to another get off it asap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Omg!! I thought I might have some kinda illness or something . Im so glad I found others that have lost on tramadol as well. I have been taking it for about 6 months , I weighed 148 when I started , I now weigh 127 and Im 5"4. I still eat normal . Normally through the holidays I gain a good 10 pounds. Went to the doc the other day and she said I lost a pound since I came in to see her in November. I just couldnt understand how !! Im not complaining , Im happy Im losing the weight I feel much healthier. Thank you guys for posting I feel much better now!!
I have been taking Tramadol off and on for about 7 years.  I only take it when I feel like I am really suffering with pain.  I have Hashimoto's and related Fibromyalgia and take it for the pain.  I will say that I have lost weight when I first started taking it, but nothing too extreme and not lasting.  I experience the mood elevation which I think is also from being able to get up and move without the pain.  I work in healthcare and every legitimate study that I have done on Ultram/Tramadol states that it is 'has opiate like effects', and is not a true opiate.  I only take one 50mg tablet a day and not every day and it allows my body to function whereas it would not otherwise be able to do with just taking OTC pain meds.  I think one can get addicted on anything that they choose to get addicted to.  I have stopped taking Ultram cold turkey and only suffered mildly from reacclimating to the pain that was absent while on it, but didn't feel like I 'had to have it or get back on it' due to addiction.  I chose to start taking it again because of the quality of life that I have while taking it is one of functionality, which I think is absent in cases of extreme pain as well as cases of addiction.  
I lost 135 pounds on Tramadol.  It gives me the will power to just eat properly and to remain focused when any temptations are presented.  I only took on average about 2 pills per week - hardly the addictive range.  Unfortunately, after a few years - that euphoria from tramadol wears away quickly and severe depression sets in.  I had to stop because I was getting too depressed about 6 hours after taking one - now my weight is going up again.  I'm sure if I took a pill every 6 hours or so, I would not be depressed, but then I would be addicted.  I thought I had the will power to remain thin, but I am failing without tramadol.  Tramadol works for weight loss - it is truly the magic pill, but it is very dark and has other consequences.
Kiaora from NZ!  I have just started 100mg SR Tramadol for chronic back and wrist pain.I have been on it for 2days and lost 18.5 kg ( old ancient out-of-date language about 40 lb).......Im 4'3" (old language) and  no one can see me if I stand side on now......should I be worried?  I can see some real benefits........."are you there dear? can you give me a hand dear ? etc" but I can see some problems also.......had real trouble swallowing the second pill , for one!    Joking aside after just 2 days and 2 pills I can feel a difference in both pain levels and appetite. I seriously doubt this stuff is addictive if you are sensible and aware of the facts.........which I am now. Any medication Ive taken in the past I always work hard at taking the minimum dose.....so we shall see.  I expect to be on Tramadol for the rest of my life providing it works well.......it's gotta be better than Voltaren and ADs!   Watch this space......I will keep you informed on my progress and weight gains or losses. By the way Im Male 54 yrs, 5'8" and sitting on 75kg (work it out yourself!)
Iv been reading a lot of posts here and they all relate to me, Iv got Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy (Nerve End Damage to my Hands and Feet) Very Painful without any medication, but all the medication I have tried gives me terrible side effects especially Tramadol, (I lost a stone and a half when I first went on them) Im on Fast and Slow release Tramadol at the moment and while trying to wean off the effects of withdrawal are hawfull. All I can say is if you can be without then be without and exercise to lose the weight (Which for me I used to do regular) but now with the pain can not walk far so exercise is not something I can do so easily. Be careful.
i took tramadol for a few weeks.  i actually only took a fraction of what the prescription said i could take and still had a very quick weight loss.  i only weighed 118 to begin with and at 5'9" the last thing i wanted to do was lose weight but i did and weigh about 108 now.  i stopped taking tramadol in august, and cannot gain the weight back. seems like all i do is eat.  about the appetite thing......it just completely killed my appetite, and it was almost repulsive to eat. i wouldn't with this on anyone.  
I have been taking tramadol for 10 years.  I am a 30 yr old female.  At first I was 135 pounds (5 foot 2) and I started losing weight.  I thought it was a miracle drug.  I went all the way down to 95 pounds within a year with no excersize or change in eating habits, actually I was eating a lot of sugar.  The thing is, tramadol breaks down muscle mass.  It is an opiate.  It's like heroin.  You know how heroin addicts are all sickly skinny looking?  Yeah.  It doesn't look like a good healthy skinny.  It looks gross.  I thought I looked good, but after I quit tramadol, I gained back some of the weight, looked back on pictures and saw how disgusting and old I looked.  Not to mention, tramadol is addicting and causes seizures.  I had 7 grand mall seizures while taking tramadol.  Before that, I'd never had a seizure in my life or any kind of disorder.  Please, please, stay away from tramadol and don't use it for weight loss!!  Getting off of it is really hard.  You will suffer withdrawls if you have been taking it for awhile.  But, it's better than liver failure, crashing your car due to a seizure, kidney failure, overdose, death or any of the other side effects from tramadol.  
ive been on tramadol for the last 7 yrs..am addicted to it,please stay awy from this drug..its worst than any addiction..you know..today its my first day trying to tamper off the widrawls symptoms..i feel tired,,dizzie..and clumpsy with out energy. i tryied before to quit cold turkey and i couldnt..tramadol mess ur brain,,i have multiple health condtions..its about to be 2 oclock in the after noon and i have taken only 2 tabs of 50mg today..and let me tell you it will make you loose weight..in the first years of my used i wasnt seen to much of loosing weight because i wasnt taking to much..what happend is your body becomes tolerant and the less you take it wont do anything for your pain,,and it gives a sence of power you dont get tired at all and you get lots of energy..next thing you know your hook up on tramadol,,and is a nasty addiction,,it will make you hunt for dr.s and for prescriptions it will make you lie to get more it will make you search the internet to buy them...its a living hell..am a mother of 6 am about to be a grandma..and i want to last to see my grand children..tramadol will kill you like any heroin addiction,,,you can overdose your self by accident with out even knowing your about to do so...i was a very good looking women i was around 177 ponds but well proportion in the right spots...now i feel embaring when every where i go every one tells me how skinny i am..am 57 in tall..and am down 145 lbs...people might think its a good weight..but the thing is its not...because is not that i loose the weight on a healthy way..it has been through addiction...and i look sick..i look old when am only 35 yrs old..please who ever have an addiction with tramadol...and are looking to brake the habit,,please stick to your guns do it before its to late...am a user and an addict of it...and if you dont know me you dont even realize i am..i have a beautifull house nice car etc..but the people that knows me knows there is some thing wrong cuz i look sick..well if theres any questions reply back...and if theres any miss spellings remember am in pain and kicking of the addiction wright now its not easy..wish me luck..
Tramadol should not be used as a weightloss solution. I've been on tramadol for severe headaches related to glandular fever (extended) and a chronic sinus infection as well as migraine headaches. I use tramadol because it is the only pain medication that works.
I was a very healthy young woman. I worked out at least 9 times a week and was working towards competing in an upcoming body sculpting competition. All of my healthy muscle mass has disappeared - and while smaller on the scales than I was before I started taking this drug I am definitely not in better shape.
Weight loss via prescription drugs is not a long-term solution. It may make you feel better in the long run but there really is no substitute to a healthy diet (fat, sugar and carbohydrate (and alcohol) controlled), exercise and water (to flush the system).
Don't rely on quick-fix and reliant addictions - they're not worth it.
E
Well Im not taking the pills for my weight loss, i am taking it for my pain....however unlike everyone else, i have gained weight.  I have put on more pounds and it is deprresing me!!
I have severe fibromyalgia pain as well as cervical dystonia, degenerative disc disease and osteoarthritis.  I tried many medications from Lyrica to strong opiates, but the side effects always outweighed the benefits or else they just were not effective.  I never had a problem with addiction and at 5' and 100 lbs., I don't want to lose weight. However, my doctor would like me to try Ultram for my pain because it is not as  strong as some as of the drugs we've tried and she thinks I might be better able to tolerate it.  After reading some of the posts here it concerns me that this medication could be so harmful.  I will probably need to be on it for the rest of my life because of my chronic pain problems. I am 60 years old and never had addiction problems and have been on many opiate pain meds for various reasons over the years, but couldn't wait to get off them because they made so sick.  Do you think I still should stay away from Ultam?  This is kind of a last resort for me.  I've tried just about everything you could possibly think of (including homeopathic and alternative medicine theparpies) and I can't function with this level of pain.  That is why I am considering the Ultram; for pain control and nothing to do with losing weight.  Is it worth it?
I decided to go back on tramadol.  I posted above that I lost 135 pounds while on tramadol...I went form 297 to 162 in about 18 months.  Of course, I ate properly and exercised - somehow tramadol set my mind right so that bad eating habits disappeared.  I am now back up to 210 pounds having stopped for almost 2 years.  I still try to eat right but gradually the old ways came back.  I started tramadol again last week and I am right back to my healthy lifestyle (healthy with the exception of tramadol).  We'll see if the depression returns, but Iwill get my weight back down to where it should be.  I'm off and running...I'll post more as I know more.
I have taken Tramadol on and off for about the last five years for pain from sciatica and herniated disc. I have not seen the loss of appetite or weight loss others above have discussed and I would never take a pain medication for weight loss unless under the care of a doctor who specifically prescribed this for weight loss. There are stronger pain relievers (hydrocodone and other true opiates), but the side effects are just too extreme for me. The worst side effect I have ever had with Tramadol is nauseated - for some it is important to take this on a full stomach.  Finally, I have more restless sleep since taking Tramadol, but I also began going through menopause at about the same time, so I can't attribute my sleep problems to Tramadol.

Other positive side effects I have experienced are elevated mood (although I do not struggle with depression) and relief from restless leg syndrome (a welcome surprise). As far as drowsiness - yes, for me Tramadol usually produces a very relaxed feeling which is short lived. It does NOT help me sleep.

I only take 50mg in the early evening and on the rare occasion that it does not bring needed relief, I have taken another (as long as at least six hours have passed). Again, I have never taken more than 100mg in a 24 hour period and even that is rare - I usually only take 50mg. I do not take it every night, but more like four times a week. I have never had a seizure, have never experienced severe withdrawals (and I have gone for several months without taking it), but I do experience more restless leg and a barely recognizable depressed feeling during the first few days without Tramadol.

I think this is a great medication IF you are taking it under the care of a good doctor and I wouldn't be afraid to try it for pain if your doctor recommends it. From the many comments here, it affects people differently (My husband cannot stand Tramadol. He says it doesn't help with pain, but produces the worst nausea he has ever experienced). If you decide to take it and want to discontinue - this too, should be under your doctor's care.

For the many on here who struggle with depression, but don't want to take Tramadol or antidepressants... talk to your doctor (if he will listen) about St. John's Wort or Holy Basil, both available from your neighborhood health food store.
hi.  i can relate to ur post.  i am 37 and have been on tramadol for 8 years.  i have taken 8 to 9 (50 mg tablets) a day for the past 8 years.  i want to start to taper off but i have severe depression and anxiety and am afraid what it will do to me mentally to come off of it.  when i first started taking it it was amazing.  i felt so happy, energetic and had no appetite whatsoever.  i went from 150 lbs to 105 pounds and i am 5'6 so i looked really, super thin and my muscles were just eaten away.  anyway, now i still take the same amount but gained all the weight back due to the tolerance i have developed.  plus since my muscle mass was decreased so much it all came back as fat.  so anyway...i just wondered how i should come off of it.  i had 2 major surgeries on my back in 03' and 07' and have chronic degenerative disease so i am in constant pain...but not so much that i need this much medication.  i was gonna try to taper down 1 pill a week but i dont know if that is too fast.  maybe i should do half a pill per week....the longer the taper the less the withdrawals will be.  what do you think?  what has your experience been coming off and how did you do it?  thanks.

Tracy
I also take tramadol and have experienced decreased appetite.  I'm 5'4" and 112 lbs and very lean.  I love my clothes, but I would have to get them  altered if I loose anymore weight because I'm already a 00 or XXS.  

The cheapest way for me to get my calories when I'm not hungry is to make a protein/fruit shake.  I buy the Walgreens brand of chocolate protein powder and Walmart mixed frozen fruit.  Add the following to your blender: 1 1/4 cup of water, 3/4 scoop of protein powder, 2 cups of frozen fruit.  You can add sugar or sugar substitute to make it sweeter; then just blend it again.  You can taste the protein powder at first, but after about 3 shakes, you can't taste it anymore.

I hope this helps!
I don't see why anyone would abuse tramadol other than to lose weight (because decreased appetite is the only side effect I've experienced, and I take the highest dosage allowed).  I was on the highest dosage allowed of hydrocodone/acetaminophen for several months.  Tramadol works so much better.  Unlike hydrocodone, you won't experience the "la di da di da... everything is so great" feeling.  I think that's why people abuse hydrocodone.  Anyways, I say try it.  I has really worked for me.  To deal with the decrease in appetite, I make myself shakes with protein powder and frozen fruit.  Easy way to get calories in quickly.
Good luck to you!
I take 50 mg of tramadol once to twice a day for osteoarthritis.  I weighed 240 when I started and I now weigh 233 within a week. It did gave me bad nausea the first day I took it and I threw up whatever I ate.  The second day I was a little nauseated, but by the third day I didn't experience it anymore.  The biggest reason I am losing is because I am craving foods I usually wouldn't like apples and carrots, and I am able to actually work out since I'm not in so much pain and that feels amazing.  My appetite is definitely still there but not as severe as it usually is.  As for insomnia, tramadol did keep me up the first night I took it but I have slept like a baby every night after.  I guess it is just different for everyone.  Good luck to anyone taking it for pain.  It has definitely improved my quality of life.  I weighed 50 lbs less last year but gained it because I had a leep procedure on my uterus for cervical cancer which messed up my hormones.  Since gaining all of that weight my arthritis has been so painful so I'm very grateful for this.
Using this drug safely should be discussed with your doctor, as with any prescription pain medication there is a potential for addiction....some prescription pain meds are worse than others....when used with caution it is very effective and can be used safely.....don't use more than prescribed! If your pain is not relieved at your current dose then talk to you doctor for a possible increase in dose.....check with your doctor or pharmacist, but IBprophen can also be used with Ultram or the generic "Tramadol" for additional pain relief. Use your common sense!!  Addiction is a powerful thing and will keep you at the mercy of your doctors! Once addicted, your doctor won't be so generous with your pain medication.....just use it wisely!
Hello ive been on ultram 6mos now for fybromyalgia and herinated discs. It does help w the pain. Ive never abused by taking more then the recommended amount. However addictive personalities runs in my fam n i fins my body achy very bad if i go a day w out taking any. Ive also lost 30 pounds. Im at a healthier weight now. But im losimg 1 to 2 pounds a wk. Very fast i feel. Is this a side effect from ppls experience? Shuld i taper off n only take pn horrible pain days? Is it ok to b on Ultram for yrs at a time? Any personal srories or advive wuld b so greatly appeciated! Pls n thank u! Have a blessed day :)
I started taking tramadol for back pain and hip pains 4 days ago and I've had discoulored urine and haven't slept I've ate twice and if I smell food I get a bad headache and very notious I've also been wanting to do nothing but clean Ive already lost ten pounds I'm very concerned I wieghed 164 and now weigh 154 I take two 50 mg everyday when I wake up and around noon or so if anyone has any sugesstions that'd be great!
Hi im the same I started taking them for back pain , lost my appetite lost weight, carnt sleep,headaches.
As for cleaning I CAN'T STOP I felt manic had to sit and wonder why I felt like this , then I relized its the tramadol I felt spaced out, it was horrid .
I rang my docter and explained I was bounceing of the walls with these tablets after 3 weeks of taking them .
2x 50mg 3 times a day :/
That was along with sertraline 100mg a day antidepressant
Not a good mix, started with withdrawls sneezing chills and feeling hot next minute head pain , just absolutely felt awful , spoke with my docter arranged a reduced plan and I swear I will never take them again.
I realized also I wasn't eating but that only enhanced my strange feelings with the tramadol Stop taking these meds there awful and dangerous ........
Here is my story:  I had 2 knee operations in two years---chronic knee pain--The second surgery was a complete knee replacement.  Have taken Tramadol for about a year and a half.  I have lost 20 pounds.  Beginning to get scared about why---NOT TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT.  I am so relieved to know others are having this same result.  Tramadol is very effective for pain--hate to stop taking it.  
Hello all,
I've had a herniated neck disk for over a year and can't lie down flat on a bed due to the pain. Only two days ago I started taking tramadol. Just 50 mg a day a few hours before bedtime. Already I have insomnia and lessened appetite in the evening and morning. But since I don't take much, the appetite returns in the afternoon!  But have lost 500 grams (about 1lb I think ) without any effort and I don't need to lose weight.
It also makes me feel better and the pain disappears completely.
All in all very happy so far.
I took tramadol for a couple of years for neuropathy in my leg. I stopped cold turkey and did not have a single symptom of withdrawal.
I took tramadol for at least ten months every 4-6 hrs!  I lost 15-20 lbs because the thought of food made me nauseous.  I am a foodie and I couldn't even read my cooking magazines!  The only foods that sounded good was citrus fruits and sweets( I was never one to crave sweets before). It is very addictive and you become physically dependent and it is very difficult to get off of. It is miserable. I have been off for about a week and a half and I am still having trouble sleeping, restlessness where u can't be still u feel like u r going to scream!  Oh yeah and I have gained 5 lbs!  I now am eating everything and even though I am cognizant of the problem and reasons I can't seem to control it!  I'm going to gym and doing as much as I can, since I have had two total hip replacements in five months!  It's hard to get motivated don't seem to have the energy now as I did on tramadol!  BEWARE OF THIS DRUG!  Be sure u wean off in a controlled manner and just because u r no longer taking the drug your troubles r not over!  I'm waiting for my body to get back to more of a norm, at least the sweats/ chills have tapered off. Hope I don't gain anymore weight while in reacclimation!  Good luck
I started taking Tramadol for a strained muscle in my middle back brought on by tubing/boating. I was already watching my calorie intake prior to injury, but since starting the tramadol a month ago, I have lost nearly a pound a week. Due to the back pain, I have not been doing ANY exercise. I have noticed that it does suppress my appetite a bit and I am eating much less at each sitting. While the back pain really *****, I have to admit it has been a nice side effect.