Tramadol and weight loss
So I when i started Tramadol i was around 150 to 155 lbs a solid size 10 ( i'm 5'4") Since then I have gone down to a size 4-6 and convinced myself I lost a few pounds and that designers were putting smaller numbers on bigger clothes. Well today i bought a scale (4.99 at Ikea, good deal!) so I hopped on it and I have lost over 20lbs. I was never trying to lose weight and this loss has come upon in the last 6 months. I'm not excercising any more then before can the tramadol just do that? Is it from being up all night? Is this a really bad sign or normal?
I just started taking 50mg,2x daily for pain from cervical disc herniations. I keep hearing about weight loss and this drug. What amounts are people taking to lose weight? I'm really not interested in losing weight and just curious??
Taking tramadol to lose weight is the worst possible way to do that.  Good luck with your pain and be REALLY careful with the tramadol.  I was addicted to it for over 6 years and it got out of hand really quickly.  Good luck to you.
Tramadol....the slow kill pill.....sure you may lose weight....along with everything else.....
to some.....you may be willing to give it ALL to lose a couple of pounds.....just make sure you are.....willing.....when you are up all night puking your guts out......not able to quit puking your guts out or stand up straight for the severe abdominal cramping for DAYS.....make sure you are WILLING.....to suffer tremors all night long with restless legs and panic attacks every night for weeks....willing to go into a deep depression...that should be a breeze....throw in a couple of seizures that scare you into the emergency room to be treated like a drug abuser ...Tramadol doesn't discriminate....you WILL have an intimate experience of your own with Tram....just be WILLING.....
I don't mean to offend anyone here at all, if I do, I'm apologizing now.  It makes me fairly sick that some people are staying on this just to lose weight!  Prescription drugs aren't a weight loss system and they aren't supposed to be toyed with like that.  They can cause serious problems in the end if you continue taking them like that!  Eat healthy and drink lots of water and EXERCISE!!!!
It's been 6 weeks since I last posted and my doctor is now giving me 50mg 4x a day for my neck pain. It really helps my pain, but I have 0 appetite. I like the way I feel pain wise, but I can't do this anymore....gonna try an Osteopathy Doctor.
i've been taking 4 50mg's a day for a year now, and lost 18 lbs. that i didn't want to lose. i was 138lbs and built, now i'am at 120lbs. and everyone thinks i'am sick, i took them for the high, and now i'am paying for that choice, as i'am 3 days clean, but lord knows it's awful feeling to go through, but i'am going to stick it out. i need my weight back/ the tramadol's are a very addictive drug that everyone should stay away from./ i'am now taking advil just to pop something in my mouth, and try to trick my body into thinking i'am popping tramadol's, it help's a little, but i have to be strong about it.
I was having some debilitating back and neck pain.. I called my doctor and he prescribed Tramadol.. I am never hungry and after reading the comments, I see this is a common side effect.. My pain in my back/neck has subsided since I have been on this drug.. The not feeling hungry is common and I am glad that this was not in my head, but a true side effect... Thanks for all of the comments, they have settled my mind tremendously!
I took 50-150 mg of tramadol daily for three weeks and lost 10 pounds immediately.  I did NOT want to lose weight.  That was about 6 months ago.  I have not lost weight since but also I have not gained any weight back. I want to gain the 10 pounds back but it has been a struggle that leaves me not being able to go to my gym as often (I really don't want to lose any more weight), which leads me to not feeling as good as I do as when I do go to my gym.  I eat high fat foods such as tons of nuts, many glasses of whole milk, and anything that I have in the house that my body will ingest but I am NOT able to gain the weight back.  I would say that if you are NOT looking to lose weight, then stay away from the tramadol because it will make you lose weight and very quickly.  It should of been prescribed as a weight loss pill, as it helps to lose weight more so than any weight loss remedy that I see out in the markets.  
when u say additive how do u mean? also, I noticed numbness in my feet mainly...anyone else?
I TAKE TRAMADOL 50MG, NOT EVERYDAY. BUT FOR BACK PAIN.
JUST A FYI IT IS ADDICTIVE AND IT RELEASES SEROTONIN IN THE BRAIN MAKES U FEEL GOOD...  ALMOST SPEEDY GOOD.  I HAVE LOST 24 POUNDS I BELIEVE FROM TAKING IT. ITS ONLY BEEN 3 MONTHS SINCE I LOST THIS WEIGHT.  I LIVE IN JERSEY SO ITS NOT CONSIDERED A CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE IN THIS STATE. IT DOES TAKE AWAY YOUR APPETITE AND YOU FEEL GOOD. IT WORKS FOR PAIN WELL FOR ME. I AM NOT SURE I WANT TO LOSE ANYMORE WEIGHT THOUGH. I WORK IN HEALTH CARE FIELD, JUST BE AWARE IF YOU TAKE TRAMADOL... PLEASE CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR IF YOU ARE TAKING OTHER ANTI-DEPRESSANTS YOU DO NOT WANT SEROTONIN OVER LOAD ...........  
I thought it was just me. I normally have an appetite and want to eat frequently. I've noticed after 24 hours on this drug that I am not hungry.. I don't feel the anxiety that causes me to get hungry when I can't really be hungry in the first place. I hope I do lose some weight.. I lost 100 pounds since 2001 but it's hard to lose when I'm hungry all the time now... i really have to cut down my portions because I can't exercise much due to back problems... so I see a big difference in my appetite.
I have been taking it for 2 months and i have lost 30 lbs. I also exercise with weights and running. the drug decreases appetite and and has a thermogenic effect..it burns fat by increasing your metabolism. it also makes me sick in the morning untill i take my first dose.
There are healthier ways to lose weight than taking tramadol.  This drug is extremely addicting (for many of us) so please find another way!  It is NOT worth it believe me.
i have been taking 400mg per day for back p[ain for 3yrs now and each time i try to come off it its my definition of hell. i am a recovering addict and i too thought that my weight loss was great with tramadol. take it from me id rather go back to being a gym junkie and rather come off heroin, morphine, methamphetamines anything than to deal with the pain and anxiety of coming off tramadol. so people unless you want to take this drug everyday for the rest of your life and yes it will destroy your liver in time, than i suggest finding other alternatives to taking this drug. i too have been in hospital with seisures related to coming off it. I now have to take an antideppresant as a result of the chemical imbalance the long term use of this drug has caused in my brain. so from one weight concious tramadol addict to another get off it asap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Omg!! I thought I might have some kinda illness or something . Im so glad I found others that have lost on tramadol as well. I have been taking it for about 6 months , I weighed 148 when I started , I now weigh 127 and Im 5"4. I still eat normal . Normally through the holidays I gain a good 10 pounds. Went to the doc the other day and she said I lost a pound since I came in to see her in November. I just couldnt understand how !! Im not complaining , Im happy Im losing the weight I feel much healthier. Thank you guys for posting I feel much better now!!
I have been taking Tramadol off and on for about 7 years.  I only take it when I feel like I am really suffering with pain.  I have Hashimoto's and related Fibromyalgia and take it for the pain.  I will say that I have lost weight when I first started taking it, but nothing too extreme and not lasting.  I experience the mood elevation which I think is also from being able to get up and move without the pain.  I work in healthcare and every legitimate study that I have done on Ultram/Tramadol states that it is 'has opiate like effects', and is not a true opiate.  I only take one 50mg tablet a day and not every day and it allows my body to function whereas it would not otherwise be able to do with just taking OTC pain meds.  I think one can get addicted on anything that they choose to get addicted to.  I have stopped taking Ultram cold turkey and only suffered mildly from reacclimating to the pain that was absent while on it, but didn't feel like I 'had to have it or get back on it' due to addiction.  I chose to start taking it again because of the quality of life that I have while taking it is one of functionality, which I think is absent in cases of extreme pain as well as cases of addiction.  
I lost 135 pounds on Tramadol.  It gives me the will power to just eat properly and to remain focused when any temptations are presented.  I only took on average about 2 pills per week - hardly the addictive range.  Unfortunately, after a few years - that euphoria from tramadol wears away quickly and severe depression sets in.  I had to stop because I was getting too depressed about 6 hours after taking one - now my weight is going up again.  I'm sure if I took a pill every 6 hours or so, I would not be depressed, but then I would be addicted.  I thought I had the will power to remain thin, but I am failing without tramadol.  Tramadol works for weight loss - it is truly the magic pill, but it is very dark and has other consequences.
Kiaora from NZ!  I have just started 100mg SR Tramadol for chronic back and wrist pain.I have been on it for 2days and lost 18.5 kg ( old ancient out-of-date language about 40 lb).......Im 4'3" (old language) and  no one can see me if I stand side on now......should I be worried?  I can see some real benefits........."are you there dear? can you give me a hand dear ? etc" but I can see some problems also.......had real trouble swallowing the second pill , for one!    Joking aside after just 2 days and 2 pills I can feel a difference in both pain levels and appetite. I seriously doubt this stuff is addictive if you are sensible and aware of the facts.........which I am now. Any medication Ive taken in the past I always work hard at taking the minimum dose.....so we shall see.  I expect to be on Tramadol for the rest of my life providing it works well.......it's gotta be better than Voltaren and ADs!   Watch this space......I will keep you informed on my progress and weight gains or losses. By the way Im Male 54 yrs, 5'8" and sitting on 75kg (work it out yourself!)
Iv been reading a lot of posts here and they all relate to me, Iv got Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy (Nerve End Damage to my Hands and Feet) Very Painful without any medication, but all the medication I have tried gives me terrible side effects especially Tramadol, (I lost a stone and a half when I first went on them) Im on Fast and Slow release Tramadol at the moment and while trying to wean off the effects of withdrawal are hawfull. All I can say is if you can be without then be without and exercise to lose the weight (Which for me I used to do regular) but now with the pain can not walk far so exercise is not something I can do so easily. Be careful.
i took tramadol for a few weeks.  i actually only took a fraction of what the prescription said i could take and still had a very quick weight loss.  i only weighed 118 to begin with and at 5'9" the last thing i wanted to do was lose weight but i did and weigh about 108 now.  i stopped taking tramadol in august, and cannot gain the weight back. seems like all i do is eat.  about the appetite thing......it just completely killed my appetite, and it was almost repulsive to eat. i wouldn't with this on anyone.  
I have been taking tramadol for 10 years.  I am a 30 yr old female.  At first I was 135 pounds (5 foot 2) and I started losing weight.  I thought it was a miracle drug.  I went all the way down to 95 pounds within a year with no excersize or change in eating habits, actually I was eating a lot of sugar.  The thing is, tramadol breaks down muscle mass.  It is an opiate.  It's like heroin.  You know how heroin addicts are all sickly skinny looking?  Yeah.  It doesn't look like a good healthy skinny.  It looks gross.  I thought I looked good, but after I quit tramadol, I gained back some of the weight, looked back on pictures and saw how disgusting and old I looked.  Not to mention, tramadol is addicting and causes seizures.  I had 7 grand mall seizures while taking tramadol.  Before that, I'd never had a seizure in my life or any kind of disorder.  Please, please, stay away from tramadol and don't use it for weight loss!!  Getting off of it is really hard.  You will suffer withdrawls if you have been taking it for awhile.  But, it's better than liver failure, crashing your car due to a seizure, kidney failure, overdose, death or any of the other side effects from tramadol.  
ive been on tramadol for the last 7 yrs..am addicted to it,please stay awy from this drug..its worst than any addiction..you know..today its my first day trying to tamper off the widrawls symptoms..i feel tired,,dizzie..and clumpsy with out energy. i tryied before to quit cold turkey and i couldnt..tramadol mess ur brain,,i have multiple health condtions..its about to be 2 oclock in the after noon and i have taken only 2 tabs of 50mg today..and let me tell you it will make you loose weight..in the first years of my used i wasnt seen to much of loosing weight because i wasnt taking to much..what happend is your body becomes tolerant and the less you take it wont do anything for your pain,,and it gives a sence of power you dont get tired at all and you get lots of energy..next thing you know your hook up on tramadol,,and is a nasty addiction,,it will make you hunt for dr.s and for prescriptions it will make you lie to get more it will make you search the internet to buy them...its a living hell..am a mother of 6 am about to be a grandma..and i want to last to see my grand children..tramadol will kill you like any heroin addiction,,,you can overdose your self by accident with out even knowing your about to do so...i was a very good looking women i was around 177 ponds but well proportion in the right spots...now i feel embaring when every where i go every one tells me how skinny i am..am 57 in tall..and am down 145 lbs...people might think its a good weight..but the thing is its not...because is not that i loose the weight on a healthy way..it has been through addiction...and i look sick..i look old when am only 35 yrs old..please who ever have an addiction with tramadol...and are looking to brake the habit,,please stick to your guns do it before its to late...am a user and an addict of it...and if you dont know me you dont even realize i am..i have a beautifull house nice car etc..but the people that knows me knows there is some thing wrong cuz i look sick..well if theres any questions reply back...and if theres any miss spellings remember am in pain and kicking of the addiction wright now its not easy..wish me luck..
Tramadol should not be used as a weightloss solution. I've been on tramadol for severe headaches related to glandular fever (extended) and a chronic sinus infection as well as migraine headaches. I use tramadol because it is the only pain medication that works.
I was a very healthy young woman. I worked out at least 9 times a week and was working towards competing in an upcoming body sculpting competition. All of my healthy muscle mass has disappeared - and while smaller on the scales than I was before I started taking this drug I am definitely not in better shape.
Weight loss via prescription drugs is not a long-term solution. It may make you feel better in the long run but there really is no substitute to a healthy diet (fat, sugar and carbohydrate (and alcohol) controlled), exercise and water (to flush the system).
Don't rely on quick-fix and reliant addictions - they're not worth it.
E
Well Im not taking the pills for my weight loss, i am taking it for my pain....however unlike everyone else, i have gained weight.  I have put on more pounds and it is deprresing me!!
I have severe fibromyalgia pain as well as cervical dystonia, degenerative disc disease and osteoarthritis.  I tried many medications from Lyrica to strong opiates, but the side effects always outweighed the benefits or else they just were not effective.  I never had a problem with addiction and at 5' and 100 lbs., I don't want to lose weight. However, my doctor would like me to try Ultram for my pain because it is not as  strong as some as of the drugs we've tried and she thinks I might be better able to tolerate it.  After reading some of the posts here it concerns me that this medication could be so harmful.  I will probably need to be on it for the rest of my life because of my chronic pain problems. I am 60 years old and never had addiction problems and have been on many opiate pain meds for various reasons over the years, but couldn't wait to get off them because they made so sick.  Do you think I still should stay away from Ultam?  This is kind of a last resort for me.  I've tried just about everything you could possibly think of (including homeopathic and alternative medicine theparpies) and I can't function with this level of pain.  That is why I am considering the Ultram; for pain control and nothing to do with losing weight.  Is it worth it?
I decided to go back on tramadol.  I posted above that I lost 135 pounds while on tramadol...I went form 297 to 162 in about 18 months.  Of course, I ate properly and exercised - somehow tramadol set my mind right so that bad eating habits disappeared.  I am now back up to 210 pounds having stopped for almost 2 years.  I still try to eat right but gradually the old ways came back.  I started tramadol again last week and I am right back to my healthy lifestyle (healthy with the exception of tramadol).  We'll see if the depression returns, but Iwill get my weight back down to where it should be.  I'm off and running...I'll post more as I know more.
I have taken Tramadol on and off for about the last five years for pain from sciatica and herniated disc. I have not seen the loss of appetite or weight loss others above have discussed and I would never take a pain medication for weight loss unless under the care of a doctor who specifically prescribed this for weight loss. There are stronger pain relievers (hydrocodone and other true opiates), but the side effects are just too extreme for me. The worst side effect I have ever had with Tramadol is nauseated - for some it is important to take this on a full stomach.  Finally, I have more restless sleep since taking Tramadol, but I also began going through menopause at about the same time, so I can't attribute my sleep problems to Tramadol.

Other positive side effects I have experienced are elevated mood (although I do not struggle with depression) and relief from restless leg syndrome (a welcome surprise). As far as drowsiness - yes, for me Tramadol usually produces a very relaxed feeling which is short lived. It does NOT help me sleep.

I only take 50mg in the early evening and on the rare occasion that it does not bring needed relief, I have taken another (as long as at least six hours have passed). Again, I have never taken more than 100mg in a 24 hour period and even that is rare - I usually only take 50mg. I do not take it every night, but more like four times a week. I have never had a seizure, have never experienced severe withdrawals (and I have gone for several months without taking it), but I do experience more restless leg and a barely recognizable depressed feeling during the first few days without Tramadol.

I think this is a great medication IF you are taking it under the care of a good doctor and I wouldn't be afraid to try it for pain if your doctor recommends it. From the many comments here, it affects people differently (My husband cannot stand Tramadol. He says it doesn't help with pain, but produces the worst nausea he has ever experienced). If you decide to take it and want to discontinue - this too, should be under your doctor's care.

For the many on here who struggle with depression, but don't want to take Tramadol or antidepressants... talk to your doctor (if he will listen) about St. John's Wort or Holy Basil, both available from your neighborhood health food store.
hi.  i can relate to ur post.  i am 37 and have been on tramadol for 8 years.  i have taken 8 to 9 (50 mg tablets) a day for the past 8 years.  i want to start to taper off but i have severe depression and anxiety and am afraid what it will do to me mentally to come off of it.  when i first started taking it it was amazing.  i felt so happy, energetic and had no appetite whatsoever.  i went from 150 lbs to 105 pounds and i am 5'6 so i looked really, super thin and my muscles were just eaten away.  anyway, now i still take the same amount but gained all the weight back due to the tolerance i have developed.  plus since my muscle mass was decreased so much it all came back as fat.  so anyway...i just wondered how i should come off of it.  i had 2 major surgeries on my back in 03' and 07' and have chronic degenerative disease so i am in constant pain...but not so much that i need this much medication.  i was gonna try to taper down 1 pill a week but i dont know if that is too fast.  maybe i should do half a pill per week....the longer the taper the less the withdrawals will be.  what do you think?  what has your experience been coming off and how did you do it?  thanks.

Tracy
I also take tramadol and have experienced decreased appetite.  I'm 5'4" and 112 lbs and very lean.  I love my clothes, but I would have to get them  altered if I loose anymore weight because I'm already a 00 or XXS.  

The cheapest way for me to get my calories when I'm not hungry is to make a protein/fruit shake.  I buy the Walgreens brand of chocolate protein powder and Walmart mixed frozen fruit.  Add the following to your blender: 1 1/4 cup of water, 3/4 scoop of protein powder, 2 cups of frozen fruit.  You can add sugar or sugar substitute to make it sweeter; then just blend it again.  You can taste the protein powder at first, but after about 3 shakes, you can't taste it anymore.

I hope this helps!
I don't see why anyone would abuse tramadol other than to lose weight (because decreased appetite is the only side effect I've experienced, and I take the highest dosage allowed).  I was on the highest dosage allowed of hydrocodone/acetaminophen for several months.  Tramadol works so much better.  Unlike hydrocodone, you won't experience the "la di da di da... everything is so great" feeling.  I think that's why people abuse hydrocodone.  Anyways, I say try it.  I has really worked for me.  To deal with the decrease in appetite, I make myself shakes with protein powder and frozen fruit.  Easy way to get calories in quickly.
Good luck to you!
I take 50 mg of tramadol once to twice a day for osteoarthritis.  I weighed 240 when I started and I now weigh 233 within a week. It did gave me bad nausea the first day I took it and I threw up whatever I ate.  The second day I was a little nauseated, but by the third day I didn't experience it anymore.  The biggest reason I am losing is because I am craving foods I usually wouldn't like apples and carrots, and I am able to actually work out since I'm not in so much pain and that feels amazing.  My appetite is definitely still there but not as severe as it usually is.  As for insomnia, tramadol did keep me up the first night I took it but I have slept like a baby every night after.  I guess it is just different for everyone.  Good luck to anyone taking it for pain.  It has definitely improved my quality of life.  I weighed 50 lbs less last year but gained it because I had a leep procedure on my uterus for cervical cancer which messed up my hormones.  Since gaining all of that weight my arthritis has been so painful so I'm very grateful for this.
Using this drug safely should be discussed with your doctor, as with any prescription pain medication there is a potential for addiction....some prescription pain meds are worse than others....when used with caution it is very effective and can be used safely.....don't use more than prescribed! If your pain is not relieved at your current dose then talk to you doctor for a possible increase in dose.....check with your doctor or pharmacist, but IBprophen can also be used with Ultram or the generic "Tramadol" for additional pain relief. Use your common sense!!  Addiction is a powerful thing and will keep you at the mercy of your doctors! Once addicted, your doctor won't be so generous with your pain medication.....just use it wisely!
Hello ive been on ultram 6mos now for fybromyalgia and herinated discs. It does help w the pain. Ive never abused by taking more then the recommended amount. However addictive personalities runs in my fam n i fins my body achy very bad if i go a day w out taking any. Ive also lost 30 pounds. Im at a healthier weight now. But im losimg 1 to 2 pounds a wk. Very fast i feel. Is this a side effect from ppls experience? Shuld i taper off n only take pn horrible pain days? Is it ok to b on Ultram for yrs at a time? Any personal srories or advive wuld b so greatly appeciated! Pls n thank u! Have a blessed day :)
I started taking tramadol for back pain and hip pains 4 days ago and I've had discoulored urine and haven't slept I've ate twice and if I smell food I get a bad headache and very notious I've also been wanting to do nothing but clean Ive already lost ten pounds I'm very concerned I wieghed 164 and now weigh 154 I take two 50 mg everyday when I wake up and around noon or so if anyone has any sugesstions that'd be great!
Hi im the same I started taking them for back pain , lost my appetite lost weight, carnt sleep,headaches.
As for cleaning I CAN'T STOP I felt manic had to sit and wonder why I felt like this , then I relized its the tramadol I felt spaced out, it was horrid .
I rang my docter and explained I was bounceing of the walls with these tablets after 3 weeks of taking them .
2x 50mg 3 times a day :/
That was along with sertraline 100mg a day antidepressant
Not a good mix, started with withdrawls sneezing chills and feeling hot next minute head pain , just absolutely felt awful , spoke with my docter arranged a reduced plan and I swear I will never take them again.
I realized also I wasn't eating but that only enhanced my strange feelings with the tramadol Stop taking these meds there awful and dangerous ........
Here is my story:  I had 2 knee operations in two years---chronic knee pain--The second surgery was a complete knee replacement.  Have taken Tramadol for about a year and a half.  I have lost 20 pounds.  Beginning to get scared about why---NOT TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT.  I am so relieved to know others are having this same result.  Tramadol is very effective for pain--hate to stop taking it.  
Hello all,
I've had a herniated neck disk for over a year and can't lie down flat on a bed due to the pain. Only two days ago I started taking tramadol. Just 50 mg a day a few hours before bedtime. Already I have insomnia and lessened appetite in the evening and morning. But since I don't take much, the appetite returns in the afternoon!  But have lost 500 grams (about 1lb I think ) without any effort and I don't need to lose weight.
It also makes me feel better and the pain disappears completely.
All in all very happy so far.
I took tramadol for a couple of years for neuropathy in my leg. I stopped cold turkey and did not have a single symptom of withdrawal.
I took tramadol for at least ten months every 4-6 hrs!  I lost 15-20 lbs because the thought of food made me nauseous.  I am a foodie and I couldn't even read my cooking magazines!  The only foods that sounded good was citrus fruits and sweets( I was never one to crave sweets before). It is very addictive and you become physically dependent and it is very difficult to get off of. It is miserable. I have been off for about a week and a half and I am still having trouble sleeping, restlessness where u can't be still u feel like u r going to scream!  Oh yeah and I have gained 5 lbs!  I now am eating everything and even though I am cognizant of the problem and reasons I can't seem to control it!  I'm going to gym and doing as much as I can, since I have had two total hip replacements in five months!  It's hard to get motivated don't seem to have the energy now as I did on tramadol!  BEWARE OF THIS DRUG!  Be sure u wean off in a controlled manner and just because u r no longer taking the drug your troubles r not over!  I'm waiting for my body to get back to more of a norm, at least the sweats/ chills have tapered off. Hope I don't gain anymore weight while in reacclimation!  Good luck
I started taking Tramadol for a strained muscle in my middle back brought on by tubing/boating. I was already watching my calorie intake prior to injury, but since starting the tramadol a month ago, I have lost nearly a pound a week. Due to the back pain, I have not been doing ANY exercise. I have noticed that it does suppress my appetite a bit and I am eating much less at each sitting. While the back pain really *****, I have to admit it has been a nice side effect.
Thank you for your balanced comment.  I have inflammatory Osteo Arthritis in all my joints along with Hypermobility Syndrome.  I have been taking Tramadol along with Naproxen & Omeprazole for nearly two years now and every few weeks when I am slow ordering my repeat, I run out for a few days and have only had very mild side effects, I usually take some Co-codamol to tide me over – I take 150 to 250mg of Tramadol a day.  Unfortunately I am finding that the meds are really not helping much for the pain and unlike everyone else on this forum, I have gained an excessive amount of weight even though I am very careful what I eat and watching my calories.  The weight gain was the reason for me coming into this forum, I wanted to find out if many other people have had this problem.  It doesn't help of course that I can't do much exercise due to the pain, apart from gentle swimming a couple of times a week - but I don't think the weight gain should be so excessive!
I have been trams dramadol for close to 10 years due to several health issue that cause sever pain. Over time I have to increase as pain increase. I am up to 200mg x a day. Over the last 6 months I have gained 40 pounds. Have always been thin average thin. No matter what I do I can not loose it. I was told by friend it was due to long term use of tramadol. The weight gain is really bothering me putting me in almost depression, always been weight concise.  Also started aderall for memory around same time. I feel like I have basket ball in stomach. Can someone please help and advice me on this. I have also started some natural supplements for health issues. Fish oil, omegas, niacin, biotin,a and magnesium. Please help desperate. Health wise feel good.
You couldn't be more right. The longer you take it, the worse it gets. I have taken it everyday for two years up until a couple of days ago. I even weaned myself off, or at least I thought I was. I have felt anxiety like I have never have before. Hopelessness, despair, I cry all damn day. Everything makes me cry. I cry over my son not being little anymore. I dont eat, and I dont sleep. I have a pounding headache from crying. Panic attacks, heart racing. I am the most positive person you will ever meet and love life. Tramadol is the devil. I actually gained weight on it. Almost three days with nothing. Feeling like this, makes me not even crave it, cause what it has done to me.
I just wanted to thank you so much for your honesty regarding your situation. I am currently only taking 37.5mg of tramadol every other day right now for pain for broken ribs but I'm still worried that is too much for me as I have a history of depression and an addictive personality. Your advice is very helpful because I could quite easily just eat more of the drugs because they help the pain and make me feel better for a while, but I think already, only after 10 days that on the days I don't take them I feel worse! I really hope you manage to come off them eventually and that you can leave it behind you. Thank you once again for your openess and willing to share your difficulties. Good luck with your recovery.
I also have been on Tramadol 50 mg at 1-2 every 6 hours.  I have lost 15 solid lbs. in less than a month.  I was 259 lbs. and when the nurse took my weight it was 244 lbs.  I have not lost in years!  It also seems to be helping with the pain....no kidding, something that actually works with a plus.  Can you imagine how surprised I was?
why did you stop? i'm seriously asking.  I'm just wondering if people are overweight and can't control their appetites and people are experiencing a mood boost, why stop?  Can a person take 50 mg of tramadol a day for yrs and yrs and experience all the good with none of the bad?
I take tramadol for my fibro when I get bad bouts. I have severe back pain but none of the other opiates actually helps. I also have psoriatic arthritis, I have had that for years and the Dr. has tried all kinds of medication to ease my pains.  The only thing that has really worked has been tramadol. I have lost some weight but I am diabetic so I have to constantly watch my weight so I welcome any assistance.  I can be on tramadol for several months and then if I feel like I am feeling well I can go for several months without taking anything.  So I don't find it addicting, but I also have never been a smoker, drinker or have done any type of recreational drugs. Don't get me wrong I am not saying that those that find it addicting has done any of those or part of those ; I am just saying all drugs affect everyone differently. So please think about that and discuss your concerns with your doctor.  it can help if you have tried a lot of others and they haven't worked.
My brother has been on it for about five months for some nerve pain that has the Drs confused.  Hes lost 55 pounds and Im very concerned.  He still feels awful and doesnt sleep well either.  He hates to change because he thinks something else wont work as well.  Hes a mess.
Hi Ohiogirl6- yeah, tramadol is a bit of a nasty drug. It can really grab a hold of some of us. It's good that you're concerned. 55 pounds seems like a lot of weight to lose in that time frame. Has he talked to his MD about the weight loss and how he is feeling. What is he taking it for, and do you know how much he's taking?