Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Tramadol use/addiction

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Tramadol use/addiction

Hello! I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis in 2008. It's under control now (and has been for 2 years), but I continue to use Tramadol to help keep those last symptoms at bay. I typically take 2 50mg pills each morning (for approx. 3 years). I don't need any more than that. That dose completely controls my symptoms. I've been reading about Tramadol addiction online and am troubled. I know that the dose I'm taking is low-ish and that I'm not abusing it, but I'd like to try to taper down and eventually quit. Has anyone experienced bad withdrawal symptoms from a low dose like this?

Thank you!
Withdrawal varies a lot from person to person, but given the low dose, you'll probably get out a little easier than I did - however, you have been taking them for quite a while.  It will be uncomfortable, there's no doubt about that - but if you do have the discipline to wean off of them that is your best route.

Tramadol is the worst - at least it was for me.  But TOTALLY doable to get off of them and live a normal life.  Good luck to you!  And congrats for wanting to quit.  Feel free to message me if you want any suggestions for getting through those early days - I'm happy to share.
Thank you for the repy! I think that I'm going to start back on the "IC Diet" (diet to help control bladder pain) and then start tapering. Right now, when I skip a dose, I just have some bladder discomfort and frequency...but it's enough to bother me. I'll probably start gradually decreasing the dose.

Anyone NOT have any side effects from discontinuing a low dose?